2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Bye bye Honda...
5,898 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Having never had a pad or tablet, Mrs G and I are seriously considering buying a refurbished Tesco HUDL2. They're only £99 on Tesco's website and we can double-up our £40-worth of clubcard vouchers to make it a pretty damn cheap option... has anyone else here got one?

How does it perform?

The battery life seems to attract minor criticism... any comments?

What accessories can you recommend?

Any other pads/tablets we should look at before buying?

Cheers,
Jon

·
Whistlin' on a Tuesday...
1,168 Posts
I use my Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 for all my civinfo use and even buy complex-to-buy stuff online (such as converting Tesco clubcard points etc) with it. Had a cheap tablet before to get me started for a couple of years, but I can definitely recommend this one.

·
Premium Member
551 Posts
I'd go Archos 80 cobalt or 97 (and did - got one of each). No prbs and nearly new / refurb off ebay for less than £50. Been working fine.

Reactions: Jon_G

·
Registered
25 Posts
Took mine back it had an issue where the battery said it was fully charged but in fact it was dead! It's a common problem and a patch was meant to fix it. Bought at Xmas and was excellent until about a week ago!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Bye bye Honda...
5,898 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Took mine back it had an issue where the battery said it was fully charged but in fact it was dead! It's a common problem and a patch was meant to fix it. Bought at Xmas and was excellent until about a week ago!
Thanks, I'll bear in mind that there's this patch.

All tablets have side effects Jon, you'd be better off rubbing homeopathic water on your lap top
...that's similar advice to what I suggest when someone mentions fuel additives!

Thanks to all (apart from Brian, obviously) for the advice. I think we'll give the HUDL2 a try. It's only going to cost us £19...

·
Premium Member
6,455 Posts
Hi all,

Having never had a pad or tablet, Mrs G and I are seriously considering buying a refurbished Tesco HUDL2. They're only £99 on Tesco's website and we can double-up our £40-worth of clubcard vouchers to make it a pretty damn cheap option... has anyone else here got one?

How does it perform?

The battery life seems to attract minor criticism... any comments?

What accessories can you recommend?

Any other pads/tablets we should look at before buying?

Cheers,
Jon
We have 2 HUDL 1's in our house, got them cheap too when they launched the HUDL2.

We have an iPad, and apart from being smaller screen, the HUDL stacks up well against it.

It's fast enough and has plenty of space even without an additional SD card and the build quality is very good for the price (Archos make them I believe)

It's actually the device that's got me into Android because of it's ease of use and rock solid performance.

The only small criticism is the fact it come loaded with lots of crappy Tesco Apps, but can all easily be deleted or disabled within minutes ;)

I've heard the HULD2 is even better, so I'd say defiantly go for it :top:

·
Bye bye Honda...
5,898 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
We have 2 HUDL 1's in our house, got them cheap too when they launched the HUDL2.

We have an iPad, and apart from being smaller screen, the HUDL stacks up well against it.

It's fast enough and has plenty of space even without an additional SD card and the build quality is very good for the price (Archos make them I believe)

It's actually the device that's got me into Android because of it's ease of use and rock solid performance.

The only small criticism is the fact it come loaded with lots of crappy Tesco Apps, but can all easily be deleted or disabled within minutes ;)

I've heard the HULD2 is even better, so I'd say defiantly go for it :top:
That's all good to know!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Have a HUDL2 at home and can say it's a pretty good bit of kit. The only down sides are that it is slightly weighty for the size and the battery is not all that great. However, if you're using it at home then those aren't really big issues, especially if you buy a longer USB cable (for a few quid). The battery still lasts several hours of continuous use, even when streaming/playing games.

Screen is crisp when viewing movies etc and speakers are pretty good too.

Agree about the Tesco apps but switch to the Google Nexus Launcher rather than the Tesco one and it'll make a big difference.

·
Registered
18 Posts
No rooting needed, Bog. Go to the Play Store and search for 'Google Now Launcher'. Should be a result in 'Apps' for Google Now Launcher with the big google 'G' in blue.

Download that and then go to Settings (on HUDL2) > Home and select the Google Now Launcher.

You can switch between them whenever you want or download others. This is the default launcher on the Nexus 5 etc and enables the Google Now features (swipe to left).

·
Bye bye Honda...
5,898 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The HUDL2 has now been ordered!

I will update the thread in a few weeks when I've had a chance to form an opinion.

·
Bye bye Honda...
5,898 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
^ Jon, do you know what "rooting" is ?
(clue: it's nothing to do with vegetables or bushes or trees)
Of course... it's Australian for shagging. Which seems an odd thing to do to computer equipment.

So I won't be lending it to Bog.

·
Premium Member
6,455 Posts
Of course... it's Australian for shagging. Which seems an odd thing to do to computer equipment.

So I won't be lending it to Bog.
So this is what Cyber Sex is?

Anyway, it has an SD slot... not big enough for my floppy...disk ;)

·
Bye bye Honda...
5,898 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well it turned up as promised and seems to be working fine... you'd never know it was refurbished in any way and looked spotlessly brand new. As I've no previous experience with any other tablet then I really can't write much of a comparative review, but it has some neat features (which I guess are mostly standard with the KitKat version of Android?). The forward-facing camera has a disappointing resolution, but that's the worst thing so far (but this was clearly advertised). I just need to de-clutter all the Tesco junk, as described by Bog and MCS.

And I certainly haven't rooted it. In any way.

The only really annoying thing is that Tesco have knocked a bit off the price since we bought ours (so now only £79 for a refurb'd one / £99 for a 'new' one). Hey ho...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts