2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I've just taken delivery of my second Honda Civic - and wished I had discovered this Forum a month ago.

I got my first Civic new four years ago and was generally pleased with it, though I found the small wheels gave a rough ride over speed humps and the like. After two months a wild boar trotted across the road in front of me, and I'm not sure how we missed each other.

I took delivery of a new 1.8 a week ago, the dealer convincing me that I would save a bit of money by settling for a 58 plate rather than an 09. The salesman did quite a hard sell on GAP insurance, which I declined on the basis that if I wrote off the car I might well write off myself. I also declined the Bodywork protection, feeling, like other Forum members, that this was an over-priced frill. However, when I collected the car this had been provided for free.

Driving the car home I felt quite happy with it, but after four miles kerbed it on a stretch of road I've used many times in the past. :( The tyre immediately deflated and I slightly dinged the rim. I hadn't bothered to take my mobile with me but limped 400 yards along a busy road to a car park adjoining council offices where I knew someone and was allowed to use the phone.

The nearest available roadside assistance guy was 15 miles away. He got to me quickly enough and was very pleasant. He didn't know the town, so I had to guide him to a tyre centre, where a replacement was quickly fitted.

I had known that no spare wheel was provided, but in 46 years of driving I've only had to change a wheel by the roadside once (and that was on an office car). Had I read all the posts here about the problems of not having a spare wheel I would have asked for this as part of my negotiations with the dealer. I'm grateful for all the info in this Forum about obtaining and fitting one in the well - I gather that the latter is very easy.

I gather I'm to receive a questionnaire about my buying experience, so I'll squawk there about the lack of a spare in the very faint hope Honda may make some sort of concession. I'll probably end up seeing what the local Honda agent charges for one, or seek one through this Forum. As luck would have it, one member living very close to me has just concluded a sale!

I do a lot of driving on potholed country roads and believe that there's more danger of getting an impact puncture than a penetration one caused by glass or a nail. In my last Civic I did get a small bulge in the tyre side after hitting a hole.

Marlburian

·
i-VTEC - DO YOU?
3,111 Posts
Ah nightmare! At least everything is OK now though. Welcome to the forums, as you'll discover it's full of useful information. :D :popcorn:

·
Administrator
24,216 Posts
Hi and welcome to civinfo. :)

Sorry to hear of your bad luck on collection day. :(

The spacesaver spare wheel is around £100 from a dealer and very easy to fit into the boot well. Even if you never use it, hopefully you won't need to, it's good to know it's there. :D

·
Premium Member
4,106 Posts
Welcome :D

Sorry to hear about your experience :(

I would get a spare if I were you - you never know what will happen - they are about £100 fitted by the dealers.

·
BJJ IS NOT JUST FOR XMAS
4,720 Posts
welcome to the madness

·
Premium Member
1,129 Posts

Welcome to the forum.:)
Hopefully the puncture is the only problem you will ever have with the car,enjoy.:)

·
Administrator
19,178 Posts
Welcome to the place :D

Bad luck getting a puncture on your trip home, eh :(

In Poland the spare wheel comes as standard - thankfully :D

Anyway, congratulations on the car and happy motoring :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts