2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I've noticed an odd hum which seems to be coming from the drivers side front wheel. I first of all suspected a wheel bearing but I'm not so sure now. If I take a long left turn, I get a constant low humming noise for the corner from the right. When on the motorway at 70, I get a low wuuuuuuuuuum wuuuuuuuuuum wuuuuuuuuuum. Each wuuuuuuuuum lasts for a 2-3 seconds stops for a second then repeats. It does it with the clutch depressed so its not engine related, I've not increased the speed to see if the intensity quickens. Tyres are Ovation VI-388 which are obviously cheap and maybe not so cheerful but the same on both sides - the noise only seems to come from the right. So, Driveshaft? Rubbish tyres? Thoughts anyone?

·
Bye bye Honda...
5,788 Posts
These things can be hard to pin down! I'd start by swapping the front wheels from side-to-side (if directionality allows) or swapping the front pair with the rear.

Drive shafts normally cause a wobble/vibration under load. The brake might be binding a tad, but would then become warm compared to the other side.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok, the front calipers have been replaced and theres no excessive brake dust so fairly sure theres no issue there. Not noticed any wobble or vibration at all. Pretty sure the tyres aren't directional so i'll have a go at that first and see what happens. Thanks Jon_G, will report back.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Usual tests for a wheel bearing are to jack it up and spin the wheel, it may feel/sound gritty, then hold the tyre at 12 and 6 o'clock and try to rock it to test for movement. If its worn, when you drive it, it will sound louder/quieter when applying different lock.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I wouldn't go as far as to call them better... they are different though. Will do that and also try giving the wheel a wobble while its in the air. Thanks folks!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
what make of tyres do you have fitted ?
id have said either wheel bearing or just road noise from tyres
They're pretty crap. Fronts are branded Ovation and the rears are Mohawk. I initially thought bearing but it just doesn't seem the right sort of noise. I'll start with swapping the wheels and go from there.

·
Premium Member
1,739 Posts
not sure but i think i had mohawk on when i bought my civc but that was 7 years ago so couldnt say if they were noisy
worst ive ever had for road noise were nangkang lasted for a very long time and in normal driving conditions were pritty good but when it was cold and pushing on they were a little dodgy
the main thing that puzzles me is you say the noise is in 2 or 3 second bursts thats really hard to pin point something
how old are the tyres there not out of shape are they ?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts