·
Premium Member
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
helo people,
i'am currently working on my engine build
it will be a daily driver with approximately 500hp ,rotrex c38 81
i bought 4032 mahle pistons,10.3:1 compression
After a short conversation with mahle , I've been informed these pistons are rated for 400hp, to late, i know
i said, my powergoal is between 450 and 550 hp,is that a problem?
they said: Your right at the border , make sure you have a good tune on the engine and keep detonation out of it that is the killer.
i dont like that word detonation:facepalm:
would you guys still use the same pistons as you know this?
I would like to know of other people who have built their engine what they have used and if its a daily driver
If you use 2816 pistons do you have,
piston slap when cold?
oil use at cold start?

other people may also give their opinion and also shops/engine builders

greetings

·
Frood Dood
1,544 Posts
IMO if you are looking at exceeding the rating of the piston rating by 20 - 40% then surely it would either make sense to look for some different pistons that are up to the job or lower your planned BHP to within the tolerance range for them?

Not worth pushing the boundaries by that much only to be picking pieces of metal out of the underside of your bonnet when the pistons decide that they don't want to play anymore

:popcorn2:

·
Civinfo's Bulb Supplier
13,427 Posts
Are they semi forged or fully
Forged? Mahle have a casting letter on them which denotes what they are.

I'm sure you will be fine if you use a good tuner that ensures AFR's are nice and safe and on the rich side for good cooling.

·
Premium Member
2,937 Posts
I would go for "new" pistons!! Is there poiting risking the build???

What Rods are you going to use?

·
Premium Member
10,524 Posts
IIRC Supertech do a 4032 87mm bore with 11.2 CR off the shelf? Or they can do customs within a couple of weeks.

Maybe speak to Ian @ Clockwise motion and ask what he handy. You always go to a 1.2mm Headgasket from Cosworth or Toda to drop CR a little if your new Pistons are slightly over

·
Premium Member
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
back of the box

dont now if thy are semi forged or fully
This is for a k24/k20 build
rods are manly turbo tuff

·
Premium Member
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
no cams for now
I'm waiting for jaydee rotrex cams
i thought that they had nothing of the shelf around 10.1 compression
they have flat top pistons but i dont now what they do vs an ordenary piston
and i believe these are also 2816
would that be good for a daily driver?

·
Premium Member
560 Posts
I'm also building my engine. I use Supertech 4032 86mm 11.2:1 pistons for new TTS C38-91 kit. Piston manufacturer said that they will be OK for 500-550hp. I will lower CR a bit with head porting and thicker head gasket.
For DD I would choose 4032 over 2816, because you could run tighter piston to wall clearance and you won’t get piston slap.

·
Premium Member
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm also building my engine. I use Supertech 4032 86mm 11.2:1 pistons for new TTS C38-91 kit. Piston manufacturer said that they will be OK for 500-550hp. I will lower CR a bit with head porting and thicker head gasket.
For DD I would choose 4032 over 2816, because you could run tighter piston to wall clearance and you won’t get piston slap.
My pistons will be approximately the same as yours because mahle makes supertech
I think when he said 400hp he has taken some slack
that is also what i have been reading on the internet arround 500hp

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
There are people running 500hp on the OEM cast pistons, 4032 are still more det resistant than cast.

Just run a little less advance and a little more fuel.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts