2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maybe I'm silly but after about 10 months of ownership I don't think I'm a fan of the mk8 Civic.

There's technically nothing wrong with the car, it does good mpg, it's proven relatively cheap to run, has bags of interior room and even responds well to being driven fast.

I just find that it doesn't flow too well over roads and I doubt that would change much even if I fully refreshed the suspension, I also dislike the engine. It's fast if you're trying to redline it but normally it lacks torque and the sound isn't to my tastes either.

Almost won a ratty old VW Golf Plus in 1.6 petrol the other night and I keep looking at other cars on the regular websites. Annoyingly I bought my Dad a mk5 Golf as a runaround last September and if I didn't have the Civic I'd have kept it and got him another one. It's an interior car on paper as it's down BHP and it's even less reliable with carbon build up issues, the typical VW coil packs breaking and the door locks pack up all the time. But it's a smooth riding car and I simply don't need 140bhp all locked up at the redline as an every day car. The Golf has far more torque low down and ultimately does even better MPG as a result.

Maybe I should just use the Civic and forget about selling or changing, would certainly save money. Especially as I've spent some time fixing and modifying the car to my tastes!

Obviously bias asking on here but what do others think? Keep or get something else if I really don't like it.

Registered
Alabaster civic 08 Type R
Its your personal choice really, people can tell you this and that but at the end of the day you know in your own mind what you want to do. When I first bought the civic and after the first 8-10months I thought have I bought tbe right car, its not the fastest of the bunch but I have grown to love it. It sounds like you have already made the desision and just want that little push to crack on with want you want to do. I do what you feel is best mate and crack on with it, life to short to have regrets that you should of done this or that.馃憤

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well the Civic exists as my daily runaround to save miles on my fun car. The issue is I spend a lot of time in it and didn't realise it would be that much of an issue!

As a regular family car the 1.8 is fairly swift. It's 20bhp+ to most of its rivals but it feels a bit needless as it's a bit of a chore to tap into. I see why diesels and turbo petrols are all the rage.

The last significant mod would be to wire in a modern double DIN. Just forget about the other issues with my choice of DAB and music.

Might still keep it as now it's in the money saving zone since it's issues are all ironed out. Needs a coolant change, fuel filter and maybe a brake refresh in the next year and it'll be good for ages hopefully.

Unless someone comes along and buys it!

Registered
Alabaster civic 08 Type R
Yeah can understand where you coming from I was in the same situation a few years ago. Got to weigh up now pros and cons and also what you have put into the car to get it where it is now, happy trouble free motoring for a few years now or risky new purchase and start of where you had started with the civic all over again. Remember its just a daily to get you from A-B, work etc, its in good stead now, why let somebody else enjoy the fruits of your labour.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes the smart choice is just to keep it, MoT it and change it's oil etc.

Nothing particularly bad about it, it just doesn't capture my imagination. Or maybe it's just all the random niggling issues it's had, I'm of the logic that at some point the problems will iron out. Which they seem to have done!

Guess I'll get myself a decent radio and drown out the engine sound! Might keep an eye out for second hand Bilsteins or something as paying full price for them is something that'll take a few years to get my money's worth from!

I still don't think decent shocks will fix the ride completely, can tell that the car is set up as sporty rather than compliant. As it does handle nicely at speed, just not all that good a cruiser.

Registered
I鈥檝e owned a lot of cars and normally don鈥檛 keep a car longer than 3-4months!
The mk8 civic is the only car i鈥檝e kept for 6months and counting.
The ride isn鈥檛 the most comfortable but my 1.8 has plenty of power for driving at the speed limit. I just use my Type S as a 50mile/day commuter car. For the spec and how modern the interior feels compared to other cars around ~拢1000-1500, I can鈥檛 complain.

I bought a 300bhp E90 330d auto last month and ended up selling it to my mate after a week as I preferred the civic, mainly down to me hating the noise of diesel engines now and the civic interior, esp with apple carplay, being more modern.

I drive ~500bhp cars at work everyday but jumping into the civic on the way home feels great imo.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My beloved Alfa is the only car I've wanted to keep permanently out of the 15+ I've owned since I learnt to drive.

So I suppose the Civic is no different to the rest.

For the money no, there isn't actually much in the price range that is as good on paper. I personally like the VW Golf 1.6 FSI but it does have issues that the Civic laughs at, the Golf's ride and refinement is mind blowing for such a cheap car; it's dead to drive but it does the specific job of cruising around exceptionally well. There's the Toyota Auris which is dull distilled into a car, the Fiat Bravo, various French things but all of those promise to die on you randomly.

If I hold onto the Civic for a few years I'll upgrade to a modern SUV. I've estimated 3 or so years and it'll more than have done it's duty.

I'm not a fan of diesels, their power bands, how they rev, all nasty no matter how powerful.

It's nice the mk8 is essentially a concept car, almost nothing was changed in how it was concept'ed to it's production model which is a fairly rare thing.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I don't need an FN2, I have a 230 odd bhp 3.0 V6 when I want to feel some power :censored:

The Civic is my run around/family cruiser so in some ways I'd rather it was duller with more refinement. Hence why I covert the VW Golf so much.

I could dynomat/soundproof the cabin I suppose which would help maybe o_O

Registered
I don't need an FN2, I have a 230 odd bhp 3.0 V6 when I want to feel some power :censored:

The Civic is my run around/family cruiser so in some ways I'd rather it was duller with more refinement. Hence why I covert the VW Golf so much.

I could dynomat/soundproof the cabin I suppose which would help maybe o_O
oh yeah, i forgot it was your run around car. Could try smaller wheels with higher profile tyres and sound proofing, like you said.
The odd rattle here and there annoys me. Loom tape is your friend to fix those. I currently have an annoying rattle/tizz behind the binnacle which I need to find 馃槧

Registered
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My mk8 doesn't rattle at all which is nice, whereas my Dad's old mk6 buzzed and rattled itself silly despite only having done about 70k in 20+ years....

The issue with 15" rims is they'll lower the car even more, I already have issues with stupid central speed bumps with 16"s. Ironically I'd probably clear them on 17"s.

Sound proofing and experimenting with wheels is cheaper than changing an entire car however so I might give that a try!

Then again would 15" clear the brakes properly?

Registered
15鈥 wheels with the correcr profile tyres won鈥檛 lower your car as the rolling radius will be the same...?

but if you鈥檙e already on 16鈥漵, i doubt 15鈥 would be much different. I assumed you had 17/18鈥 wheels

Registered

the tyre comparison is useful for choosing a tyre size when changing wheel size 馃憤馃徏

Registered
Very true. Maybe get some silentcoat soundproofing and just grin and bear it, I think lol
Or get yourself an accord/legend 馃槀

Registered
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I should have just got a 2.0 Accord yes... I think I picked the Civic as I felt the Accord is a bit too fat, despite me not going into London much these days.

EK9 wheels would look sweet, got me thinking now :whistle: Not sure if white rims would go very well on a Champagne Silver car however!!

Registered
I should have just got a 2.0 Accord yes... I think I picked the Civic as I felt the Accord is a bit too fat, despite me not going into London much these days.

EK9 wheels would look sweet, got me thinking now :whistle: Not sure if white rims would go very well on a Champagne Silver car however!!
Can you stop fat shaming the accord, please 馃槤馃槀

I鈥檇 deffo try out some 15鈥漵 before buying, if possible. Don鈥檛 want to buy a new set of wheels/tyres only to find they don鈥檛 feel any different. That would be annoying! Lol

Registered
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Can you stop fat shaming the accord, please 馃槤馃槀

I鈥檇 deffo try out some 15鈥漵 before buying, if possible. Don鈥檛 want to buy a new set of wheels/tyres only to find they don鈥檛 feel any different. That would be annoying! Lol
Accord is huge!! But once moving it's probably awesome. Not sure if I'd get one as it'll be more to tax and fuel but could get seduced by the ride and comfort... Someone buy my Civic? :D

Problem is the only true test of smaller rims would be on the same tyres, and I doubt there's many people selling a set of 15" steel rims on Goodyears! I might get a set of EK9 wheels and just leave them lying around until my 16" tyres wear down I suppose.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts