2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

Registered
I鈥檓 on my 3rd civic in 6 months. Had a cheap ES, then a cheap EX with heated leathers, now a cheap Type S 馃槀

Registered
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
How have you got through so many?!

Ah it's not 100% clear whether an Accord has the top tether child seat hook, as that was one of the primary reasons for getting the Civic. Not everything in that price range has the full range of child seat fixings!

Registered
How have you got through so many?!

Ah it's not 100% clear whether an Accord has the top tether child seat hook, as that was one of the primary reasons for getting the Civic. Not everything in that price range has the full range of child seat fixings!
I told you, I don鈥檛 keep cars for longer than a few months 馃槀
The ES was 拢799 and thought it was worth a punt to try out, as the wife has had her Si for coming on 3yrs now and I always liked it. Then I found an EX for 拢900 which was a cheap upgrade and I like heated leathers. Then the Type S i paid 拢1200 for with a pioneer apple carplay stereo. Will see how long I keep it for, been just over 2 months and 2.5k miles so far!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
You could have just pimped out the original car a bit!! Although I really can't be bothered to wire in the heated element.

Maybe you should keep it and save 拢 拢 拢 like what I should be doing!

Registered
You could have just pimped out the original car a bit!! Although I really can't be bothered to wire in the heated element.

Maybe you should keep it and save 拢 拢 拢 like what I should be doing!
That IS what you should be doing! Lol

I鈥檓 doing the same, it鈥檚 a lot of car for the price I paid so not planning on getting rid of it anytime soon tbh

Registered
You'll always look at other cars I've had the Golf R in DSG format that was one hell of a car but I was still looking. I have to own up to the fact that I'm a car nut & I'm obsessed lol

I'm on my second FN2 & yes it's not the smoothest riding but I kno I can dish it punishment and it handles it whereas I got mates at work with Audi's & beamers and there's always something or another going wrong and it ain't cheap to fix !!

It's your daily though you gotta enjoy it. You live once and maybe you just fancy trying something different.

FNs are well cheap at the moment from what I can see, you should honestly have a drive in mine you'd change your mind lol... I got VTEC set at 3800rpm and alot of Midrange best of all instant throttle response with no lag and no worry of forced induction failure

Registered
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Golf R seems like an interesting prospect, although it has an image problem both in the type of driver and that it's a thief magnet...

The mk5 Golf would suit me fine as every time I borrow my Dad's one I want to keep it. There's plenty on eBay for cheap and I've already got the diagnostics reader for it. They're not too hard to work on either. Their interiors are nice although the soft touch plastics literally melt over time and need replacing, they easily pull out. VWs have far more issues than Honda cars yes, older Golfs have rotten front wings, have central locking issues, coil packs die and the engines of that era get utterly insane carbon build ups to the point where a whole industry has built up for cleaning them out.

I think if I soundproof the car, fit EK9 rims which are 15" and 60 profile and refresh the shocks it might tip it over the edge into something refined enough o_O

Registered
Negativv I will say one thing, you won't get friendly helpful members like you do on this forum :cool:

Them V dub boys are a different kettle of fish 馃悷

Fooling around aside yes that VCDS diagnostic is comprehensive, servicing on them is a piece of cake & a plethora of parts available!!

Generally tend to be cheaper than Jap parts although not sure if Brexit has changed matters?!

I concur that after my Civic il most likely move over to VW/Audi/BMW

Registered
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
I think pattern German parts might be cheaper but OEM for both Honda and Dub won't be cheap. I just shoved a load of Eurocarparts stuff in my Dad's Golf.

I've browses the various forums, sometimes they're a bit enamoured by owning German. To put it nicely!

Have owned BMW years back but I don't think like the brand after the E46 and E60.

I did consider a Merc B Class if I sold the Civic but I'm not sure if it's worth the premium I'd pay. Also some 10 plate Renault Meganes out there for cheap, they're meant to ride well but I've always hated French cars for feeling cheap and nasty.

Registered
Yeah bro we had a few french cars in the family nothing but an utter headache tbh
You ever thought about a lexus?
Bullet proof reliability all the toys & gadgets you'd ever need and quite refined

Registered
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
I like Lexus but they don't sell anything petrol and economical in my price range.

I still regret not getting an IS200 back in the day... Especially as there were spicy imported Toyota Alzetta or whatever with 200bhp.

Registered
I like Lexus but they don't sell anything petrol and economical in my price range.

I still regret not getting an IS200 back in the day... Especially as there were spicy imported Toyota Alzetta or whatever with 200bhp.
I think you mean the IS300?
IS200鈥檚 were really unpowered and dreadful mpg! I鈥檝e had a manual, which all suffered from juddering when pulling away and the auto which averaged 22mpg, whilst my mate鈥檚 645ci auto was averaging 20mpg.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
I meant the IS200 as the 300 only came in auto form for some stupid reason, and yes it's lack of power paired with appalling MPG put me off. A friend had one for years which he enjoyed...

The JDM one was good, as it was 4 cylinder. Would have been both far faster and better handling.

Registered
My Ex drove had an IS200 in terms of toys, comfort and refinement it's brilliant RWD aswell. Second to none reliability and well out together package

However for a 6 pot 2L it was lackluster and really underpowered. It was more of a Juicy cruiser.

Personally I'd opt for a BMW 325/330

Registered
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
150bhp from the 2.0 was sufficient. However I'd imagine it has f**k all torque. I've had 2.5 6 cylinders and those lack. You need 3.0+ or turbo for any worthwhile shove.

If petrol was dirt cheap then the IS200 would be great but it's simply not worth the thirst.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
A 1.8 A4? Maybe, although I'd just take a 1.6 Golf if it was today. It's sufficiently fast for driving around day to day. Although I've always liked the Accord. Bigger cars usually mean higher running costs.

Anyway prob going to stick with the Civic, will give changing the rear shocks a try to see if that helps.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts