2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello and evening to all reading this!
Two months ago I moved away from Audi (for a change) and treated myself to a Honda Civic Type S GT (1.8 petrol).. Apart from obvious disparities like torque and fuel economy I was absolutely delighted. Smooth driving with a cabin that my pals have joked resembles the Space Shuttle (Jealous Golf Drivers!!) but I am on the verge on selling (already on Autotrader) as I am experiencing rattles, creaks, squeaks all coming from what sounds like under the dash or around the dash. There have been many posts over the years (from what I've read) but would love someone to convince me to keep my car and that there is a chance my local Honda dealer can find AND FIX these noises.
I took a Volkswagen Golf GT Sport 170ps out yesterday for a test drive expecting it to convince me that my Honda move was a big mistake but I was even more hacked off as whilst it was obviously way more powerful - unknowingly over the last 2 months i must have grown to love the smoothness and design of my civic!!
But the creaks, squeaks and rattles are doing my head in... can anyone advise what to doooo!??
Cheers, Wattenmike

·
I drive my Mistress...
874 Posts
Keep the Civic and your head mate! Search on here and find out if you have the same as others. There is probably an easy fix for these you can do yourself. It is well worth the extra attention!!

Sctrpop used Tapatalk to post this!!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Big thanks

Keep the Civic and your head mate! Search on here and find out if you have the same as others. There is probably an easy fix for these you can do yourself. It is well worth the extra attention!!

Sctrpop used Tapatalk to post this!!
I know you're right!!
I just need someone to tell me, it's just been such a disappointment having purchased the newest car i've ever owned AND i'm nearly 40!! (24 years looking out :)....)

·
I'LL NEVER WALK ALONE
3,095 Posts
the dealer sorted my rattles out.........it was the only thing they did do right tho !

Reactions: wattenmike

·
Registered
380 Posts
i'll be honest i have a couple tiny rattles as well, they generally are quite frustrating.. NOT. best solution in the world, 100% working all the time:
1) buy some ipod interface
2) buy a big drive ipod
3) throw at it like 60gb of the filthiest death metal available
4) crank the volume at 100%
5) rattles WHAT?

·
ON A STEEL WOK I FRY
2,460 Posts
i know how you feel - brand new cars are overrated though. I personally think that you should go for whichever makes the hairs on the back of neck stand up in excitement, that's generally a good gauge. It could be a civic, an audi, or even a vw.

When I chopped in the FN2, I only did it because I test drove my current car and had to have it.

Reactions: wattenmike

·
Registered
387 Posts
you should keep the Civic!
I try to avoid VAG cars they cost stupid amount to fix when they go wrong (old cars), my family has bad experience with VW cars

if you do get VW avoid the DSG gearbox at all cost, from what I read, when your 3 year warranty runs out, it should cost around £5k to fix!

·
Registered
74 Posts
After reading so many of these rattling and creaking threads I was expecting the interior quality to be unbearable but to be honest I've not found that to be the case. It's got a couple of minor creaks but nowhere near as bad as I was expecting.

There are a few threads on here where people have managed to sort or limit sqeaks so may be worth looking about before swapping for a VW

·
R.I.P - (User sadly passed away)
9,228 Posts
Common causes …

External window cowl
Dash edge / sides
Loose cables in dash
Rear seat catch
Tailgate stops

·
Premium Member
5,213 Posts
I feel the same about my 2.2 CTDi. It has turned out to have more problems than any car I have owned. It was also the most expensive :facepalm:

·
Premium Member
4,441 Posts
The car is put together at Swindon in about 30 minutes, so what are you expecting from a 20k + or - car. ???
It's not a lot of dosh these days.
My clients new 170k Bentley has a few squeaks.
So did the multi billion pound Space Shuttle I expect.;)

·
Administrator
19,185 Posts
I think with a little patience you could fix the rattles and get back to enjoying your civic. Strangely I hardly had any rattles at all on my 1.8 and I was driving on Polish roads!

·
Premium Member
4,441 Posts
All it takes is one guy on the production line to fix a panel with a little less care than his mate and you have yourself a squeak.
As HM has just mentioned, you can fix many yourself.
You know your car better than any Dealer, so can spend more time tracing them.
You will be surprised what a little silicone spray, self adhesive pads or WD40 etc can do, with a little patience.
I had very few rattles , squeaks etc on my Civic, but the few I had - I fixed myself.

·
Premium Member
806 Posts
keep the civic!its by far the best car ive owned,and i love the smoothness of the petrol 1.8,its quiet and comfy or has a good turn of speed when you need it.think you might regret selling it!:D

·
Onto my second Civic
469 Posts
Mine are only a problem in those irritating gaps between songs...

Seriously, I'm always thinking about ditching my CTR as dealers just can't sort my cracking dash out but I still think it's the best looking car out there in its price bracket, both inside and out.

·
Premium Member
975 Posts
Keep the civic! I too had rattles and squeaks every where but sorted them myself. If you want to pm me with more info on where and when they happen I might be able to help with solutions. You know the civic feels more 'special' to be sat in than the other cars for one reason or another... keep it :)

·
Premium Member
5,213 Posts
The car is put together at Swindon in about 30 minutes, so what are you expecting from a 20k + or - car. ???
It's not a lot of dosh these days.
My clients new 170k Bentley has a few squeaks.
So did the multi billion pound Space Shuttle I expect.;)
Wow, that's a big statement. Honda used to be a 'quality' brand for the money you paid. Not any more. Cheap and thrown together, breaks easily.

In my opinion, my '06 Civic is not at well put together as my '98 Integra Type R. The basic mechanicals on the Civic seem under engineered and cheap compared to the Integra. Even some of the bolts are cheap and nasty. Caliper slider bolts in particular.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts