2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So not only am I allergic to the fluffy kind but have just been told by my insurer that I cant de-cat my car [smilie=mad.gif]

Are there any other alternatives or do I need to wait a year and find another insurer?

Cheers

·
Civinfo Wind Up Merchant
2,472 Posts
Do they actually provide any gains?

The only one I have found is the Pipercross, anyone had any experience with it?
Just don't tell 'em ...

Under no circumstances will they ever find out
-unless the car end up being investigated by the police, but if this ends up the case the cat on your car will probably be the least of your worries :p

·
Premium Member
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just don't tell 'em ...

Under no circumstances will they ever find out
-unless the car end up being investigated by the police, but if this ends up the case the cat on your car will probably be the least of your worries :p

It has crossed my mind but in the unfortunate did happen and I wrapped it around a lamp post I am sure they would go over it with a fine tooth comb to find a way out of paying out.

·
Civinfo Wind Up Merchant
2,472 Posts
It has crossed my mind but in the unfortunate did happen and I wrapped it around a lamp post I am sure they would go over it with a fine tooth comb to find a way out of paying out.
You'd be surprised...
They send engineers to view the car and assess damage, the garages reputation with the engineers can help/hinder you here
But they certainly wouldn't go diving under the car to find out if it's de-cat or not!

·
Premium Member
1,275 Posts
My dads Land Rover is decat'd, I'm not sure what his insurance company thinks but I like it :D
I'm sure you'd get away with it. The only side effect is coolness.

·
Premium Member
990 Posts
You'd be surprised...
They send engineers to view the car and assess damage, the garages reputation with the engineers can help/hinder you here
But they certainly wouldn't go diving under the car to find out if it's de-cat or not!
My mates rx8 was decat and he smashed it and insurence payed out no problems.

·
Civinfo Wind Up Merchant
2,472 Posts
My mates rx8 was decat and he smashed it and insurence payed out no problems.
The engineers do inspect the cars, but more the overall state to determine wither write-off or not

An engineer isn't arsed if it's decat or not, and unless the car was on it's side in the garage he'd never know

If it was me, i wouldn't bother telling them...

·
Premium Member
2,202 Posts
Not worth the risk IMO of invalidating your insurance. Better off staying with other mods.

·
UKDM
779 Posts
You wont pass an MOT without a friendly tester or putting the cat back on

You will also get a light on the dash which you can only switch of with flashpro

Sports cat shouldn't give you any of the above but will still be much less restrictive.

·
Banned
37 Posts
You wont pass an MOT without a friendly tester or putting the cat back on

You will also get a light on the dash which you can only switch of with flashpro

Sports cat shouldn't give you any of the above but will still be much less restrictive.
Thats not true.

I have a Jperformance De-Cat fitted to my car. They have modified the original design to accomadate both o2 sensors so there is no warning light anymore. Will however still require a flashpro to tune it properly.

·
Premium Member
472 Posts
You'd be surprised...

Not fair, over here our insurance assessors even open the air box to check the panel filter is standard. They refused to pay out for one of my mates because he had fitted samco hoses.

·
1.8EX Milano Red 2007
910 Posts
i dont know if it wors on modern cats but i know someone who removed one from an old vauxhall and smashed the inside of it out with a large scredriver and hammer ( making sure he didnt damage the outside) then refitted, from the outside still looked like it had a fully working cat!

·
Muscles From Brussels
4,073 Posts
You can internally decat a standard manifold cat (did this in my old Astra after the internals collapsed) by sight no one would ever know and mot technicians in certain places can be very lenient ;)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts