2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Banned
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so im in the garage looking for a new toy and spot a mugen,so with £ in my poket i go in and speak to this idiot who didnt know his arse from his elbow,luckily enough i know what im after so after taking the car a run and happy with it i tell him im buying it,he takes my details then proceeds to ask me how long im taking the finance over,i tell him im not im buying outright.....then his whole attitude changed!He says i should just take the finance package and he will throw some extras in so i ask him why i can have these "extras"if im paying outright????basically he gets more commision through the finance deal therefore he's been told to shove it!!
so heres what ive bought.......

·
geekess
3,638 Posts
So you hate someone for trying to earn a decent wage?

I agree it can be annoying when people try and sell you finance packages, warranties etc etc but I always decline them politely as you can't really blame someone for trying to earn a few extra pounds in the economic circumstances.
Maybe you should save your hatred for the companies that force their staff into additional selling by offering these incentive schemes?

·
Premium Member
605 Posts

I agree it can be annoying when people try and sell you finance packages, warranties etc etc but I always decline them politely as you can't really blame someone for trying to earn a few extra pounds in the economic circumstances.
Maybe you should save your hatred for the companies that force their staff into additional selling by offering these incentive schemes?
Disagree with this. If he's there to sell a car, then he should sell the car. Not the finance that goes with it. In my opinion service out weighs commission based tasks.

·
Premium Member
1,275 Posts
Top purchase!
Salesmen have walked away from me when I've turned down the finance option and others have turned it into an agrument and lost my money! I've yet to meet one who knows anything about the car they're trying to sell.

·
geekess
3,638 Posts
Disagree with this. If he's there to sell a car, then he should sell the car. Not the finance that goes with it. In my opinion service out weighs commission based tasks.
I take your point but usually if you make it very clear, politely but firmly that you will not be buying a finance package or other add on they just get on with their proper job :rolleyes:

I still think the companies that pressurize their sales people into meeting targets for these additional items are to blame.

·
Banned
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

i hate him for trying to force 3years of unwanted debt on me just so he can make an extra buck????are you for real man???are we not trying to rid ourselves of debt????
but ok mr salesman ill have the finance and debt for 3 years just so you can go out and party with your mates.......

·
Premium Member
990 Posts
i hate him for trying to force 3years of unwanted debt on me just so he can make an extra buck????are you for real man???are we not trying to rid ourselves of debt????
but ok mr salesman ill have the finance and debt for 3 years just so you can go out and party with your mates.......
+1

In what possible way is it ok for a sales man to turn down selling a car because he dosnt like the way your paying? Tell him you'll shop elsewhere he's loosing his commission because he's greedy.

·
Premium Member
9,725 Posts
Rob i would have done exactly the same ! The guy still would have made commision on an outright sale so why are people defending his greed ?

Out of interest robbi , is the beemer fitted with the optional indicators :p

·
Banned
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Rob i would have done exactly the same ! The guy still would have made commision on an outright sale so why are people defending his greed ?

Out of interest robbi , is the beemer fitted with the optional indicators :p
its fully loaded bruv!!!!lol even makes my toast driving to work!lol

·
Premium Member
1,275 Posts
Agree with R-2, its not the salesmans fault. Its the old McD's philosopy of "do you want fries with that"
Go and browse in a car supermarket. The package there is all about the finance rather than the car. The salesman knew more about the finance than anything car related I asked him. I dont mind the McD's approach, and if it was for a few extra quid I may be tempted. But usually the conversation goes down the line of how much better I'd be with 19% finance and leaving £20k sat in the bank. thats my experience when browsing in Carcraft in Rochdale, Liverpool, and a couple of independent garages around Manchester. Finance is an optional payment method, and shouldnt be a selling point unless its a great deal.
Obviously not all salesmen are like this, and its a matter of training, people skills and strict sales managers. I do feel sorry for them sometimes, they remind me of Gill from The Simpsons

·
Arfurs right hand man
4,125 Posts
And here lies the issue. in days of old, he'd be there to sell the car and thats that. Now, he's there to sell the car, the insurance, the warranty, the Gap, the diamondbrite/supagard, the tyre insurance, the finance et al.

The obvious point here and at this point I agree to a degree with the OP is that you are never going to sell all of those every time. Some people need it all, some some of it, some none of it. The push someone into something is the totally wrong way of doing the job.

Personally, rather than stropping off, i'd have asked the guy whether he was prepared to sell me the car for cash only and if not why not? I'm sure his manager will be interested to know where you've gone.....

·
Dervinator
1,349 Posts
+1

But I've just bought my Civic on finance even though I could've bought it outright. That money is better off in my bank than not.

But my situation is probably a bit different to a lot of folks. I have ONE more payment left and my mortgage is paid off and we are expecting a tad more back so will put that to paying off the Civ.

It's always better to have the readies Ready in YOUR account just in case the nasty events in life drop by at your place.

·
Premium Member
1,381 Posts
+1

But I've just bought my Civic on finance even though I could've bought it outright. That money is better off in my bank than not.

But my situation is probably a bit different to a lot of folks. I have ONE more payment left and my mortgage is paid off and we are expecting a tad more back so will put that to paying off the Civ.

It's always better to have the readies Ready in YOUR account just in case the nasty events in life drop by at your place.
Aint that the truth, ive just spent 10k buying my new civic, now my banks empty til the end of the month :(.

·
Premium Member
15,644 Posts
Totally unacceptable!!
I know plenty of people who have walked away from a dealer because of all the crap that they try to push on you
Recently I was helping my daughter to buy a Seat Ibiza.
The salesman tried to push Finance, then crappy Paint Protection..Then Gap
Sorry..Dont want any of that
So....He sorted out a cash deal there and then..No problem
No stress..No "Why not?"

·
Supporter
641 Posts
The civics the first car I've chosen to take finance on but in the past I have always got a better deal by paying cash?

I agree though pushy salesmen are far too common, four times I declined paint protection on the civ and he was still trying to sell it as I was handing keys over

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.