2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, some of you may remember i recently had problems with the locks on my civic, defrosting the car one morning when the car locked leaving me outside the car with the engine running, house locked and mobile in the car!! after a big arguement with my local dealer and 2 trips for them to check the car out, they eventually told me they couldn't fault it but have stripped down all the locks and re wired them. well they have worked ok since then, until today!! locked out of my car again this morning, when the locks unlocked themselves i went to tesco, did my shopping but when i go to put the stuff in the boot, guess what? Yes locked tight couldn't open it at all, loaded all my shopping in through the split seats, got in the car and central locking starts locking and unlocking all by itself again!! got home unloaded my shopping, checked the boot and still locked, put my shopping away and decided to take it straight to the dealers, went back to the car and guess what - yes, its all working ok again!! AHHHH what is going on with my car? (sorry its a long one) Liz x

·
COTM Feb 2012
3,995 Posts
if they've changed the locks maybe its a problem with the cars main brain?? is that possible??

·
Premium Member
253 Posts
It could be a dodgy earth on a wiring loom

Have you noticed if it is damp or dry when it happens? - It could be associated with wet atmosphere causing a short circuit

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It could be a dodgy earth on a wiring loom

Have you noticed if it is damp or dry when it happens? - It could be associated with wet atmosphere causing a short circuit
it is normally when it is cold and frosty. but it didn't start happening till after the doors filled up with water when i went through the car wash!! so i think you are probably right :) but the dealer told me it would have nothing to do with it lol :)

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sounds like you've found the answer, water and electrics do not mix, whatever the dealer says.
this is one of the reasons i dont trust my dealer, the first time i took it in they told me i had activated the auto lock, but i hadn't and that would make it lock when you drive away not when you shut the door!!

water and elec makes sense to everyone else just not to them lol :) xx

·
Premium Member
253 Posts
That's the trouble with mechanics - just because the word 'Electrics' was mentioned in a training course they think they are electronic engineers!

·
Administrator
20,951 Posts
Water in the doors does sound plausible.

Have you removed/do you have the door bungs to allow any surplus water to drain ?

I also wonder if water is getting into the drivers door buttons area. I've always wondered what might happen if you open the door in a storm with them facing upwards.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
i have removed the bungs or should i say apparently the dealer has lol, maybe i should check :)

thats a good point about the buttons facing upwards never thought about that.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts