2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello to all!
Today I have said:enough to my speedo displaying -40 degrees or --- at me...
I could only turn my heater on full hot or full cold. Not to mention A/C not kicking in.
So, after a minute I located the sensor (thanks to the forum).
I didn't want to remove the bumper (too many things may go wrong ie clips, scratches and so on...)
Decided to tackle it through the lower grill mesh. And with help of two long screwdrivers- I succeeded!
So with my sensor in hand I hooked it up to the multimeter-no readings or some way above the limit (10Mohm; should be something around 1-2kohm at room temp.). I thought: ok, time for a new one...
After quick look I decided to try to open it up (nothing to lose, right?). There are two small clips on the sides, probably after assembly process, as after I opened those-it still didn't want to open. After a bit of help from pliers and phone opening tool (that's what I do at work...;)) I managed to open it up...sort of...
No idea how the water got there, all connectors are sealed and tight, but I discovered total liquid damage inside (see photo). Two thin wires were corroded and one has no connection at all... Sensor is filled with silicone-like glue and at the end of the tube is the sensor itself (thermistor i reckon). With small screwdriver I removed all the filling and pulled out the sensor. Both wires were damaged but as turned out-solderable and sensor itself measured correct resistance.
So it's the matter of two thin wires that need to be soldered back to the sensor and to the terminals. After that done, I filled the tube with silicone (overfilled it so all connections are covered), ensuring that there is no air trapped inside and closed it back... Next day silicone was set and sensor went back to the car. Now I have beautifully-sensible 12 degrees on my dash:popcorn:

This is probably nothing like know-how but I decided to share my experience with others and to say it's possible... I saved 50 quid with an hour of work and there is so much silicone inside now that I don't think it will pack up again...:cool:

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
And I dare to say-probably all this sensor failures in our civics are result of water ingress as there is nothing that can break inside...So majority of them can be repaired instead of replacing...But that's only my opinion-I just like to repair things...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Nice one, I know you managed to repair it but any idea where to get a new one? I've got exactly the same problem, reads either -40 or --- so basically you can either have hot or cold air con! Been doing it for months but it is finally annoying me that much I am going to have to get it sorted. I'm not exactly awesome at fixing things myself though so chances are I will need a new one.

I've had a bit of a search but only place to get one seems to be Lings, but that's nearly £60. Did a search on ebay for the part number and found this but appears to be American and the picture looks slightly different so unsure if it's the same part?

Any ideas anyone?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Decided I'd have a go at fixing it using your guide...think someone else has already had a go by the looks of it! Got it open and one of the little prongs has broken off, and no sign of that little bulb thing, and is absolutely full of silicone! So I think it's pretty much terminal.

Now just got to decide if I want to spend 60 quid on a new one or get a new car! This is just one of many irritations I've had with my Civic and think it might be time to just cut my losses.

·
Premium Member
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Decided I'd have a go at fixing it using your guide...think someone else has already had a go by the looks of it! Got it open and one of the little prongs has broken off, and no sign of that little bulb thing, and is absolutely full of silicone! So I think it's pretty much terminal.
Yeah, its full of silicone, and the actual sensor sits inside. You just have to remove the silicone with small screwdriver. Sensor sits almost at the end of the tube. So be careful reaching the end. Its there and then you just solder two wires to it and to the prongs. Then fill it up with fresh silicone, close it and job done!
Good luck, its worth it to save 60 quid!

·
Registered
19 Posts
I've been and bought a new one today as mine did not look salvageable, one of the prongs had snapped off right at the bottom so nothing to solder the sensor to. I did find it right at the end of the tube though!

Unfortunately new sensor has made no difference whatsoever, still registering -40, so that was £50.89 well spent! Not sure what to do now, guessing it must be something to do with the wiring loom.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Oh, just one more question, how did you get the sensor back onto the car?? I managed alright getting it off with 2 screwdrivers as you suggested but getting it back on seems impossible! No idea if this will make any difference as I assume it still won't work once I've got it re-attached to it's bracket but would be nice to get it back in the right place! Really don't want to have to resort to taking the bumper off.

·
Premium Member
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I will check the service manual and get back to you with some ideas. Did you check the sensor itself before fitting? Maybe it's faulty? It should read some resistance at 0deg and decrease with temp going up.

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Aircon/temperature problems

Oh, just one more question, how did you get the sensor back onto the car?? I managed alright getting it off with 2 screwdrivers as you suggested but getting it back on seems impossible! No idea if this will make any difference as I assume it still won't work once I've got it re-attached to it's bracket but would be nice to get it back in the right place! Really don't want to have to resort to taking the bumper off.
Hi Dave.

Just enquiring if you managed to sort your temperature problem out as I am having the exact same problem, new sensor and still reading -40 degrees.
Also no aircon working since purchasing the car after having it regassed twice, replaced relay also and still not working.
Thanks in anticipation mate :popcorn:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just out of the garage with a Civic FD (after car wash & polish program) when everything was working fine and now my outside temp reads 21°C when it supposed to show something around 35°C (I live in Bangkok, Thailand). Of course, my inside A/C seems also screwed as no cool air is coming out unless I dial in a temperature lower than 21...

I will check the shape of the sensor and apply your find.
Thanks for sharing your experience. Most appreciated.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Honda Civic outside temperature sensor p/n: 80525-S3-0941

The Ambient temperature guage on my 2007 Honda Civic is showing a reading of -40 degrees so I decided to google it, perhaps I would find a replacement online for abount £20 pounds!

The ones that I found online are a bit different, so I decided to buy a new one for £53.72 from the dealers.

However, you can get one for £28.99 from Japserviceparts if it fits the one in your car.

After the Auto Electrics guy fitted the new sensor, the reading is still showing -40 degrees!

I am not sure of what to do now, as it would cost roughly £60 for diagnosis tests.

I will appreciate any advice please

Thanks

·
Premium Member
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Sounds more like an open in the wiring somewhere... Check the loom from the sensor to climate control module (inside, under the stereo): Pink wire from sensor to pin no. 30 in the plug and red wire to pin no. 24. Also perform self test: Ignition off, press and hold the AUTO and RECIRCULATION buttons, ignition on, release buttons. Self test starts. Driver side temperature indicator will display a letter (A to N) and AUTO light starts flashing.
Letter C means open circuit in the sensor wiring
Letter D indicates short
Regards

·
Registered
1 Posts
Reaching this topic after quite a while, but I'm fed up with this issue. Mine gets stuck on a temperature, usualy less than the ambient with a good 5-6 degrees and doesnt budge. If I disconnect the battery it gets the proper reading but the issue eventually returs. I thought I'd give this cleanup/re-fit a go but the pictures at the begining of the topic are gone and would need those before I proceed :). Also, how do you re-install the sensor without dismantling the bumper?
Thanks a lot

1 - 17 of 17 Posts