2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My previous 2 cars had large (5 litre+) washer bottles. It's been a bit of shock to the system having such a small one in the civic as I have not got headlamp washers.

Also find it strange that the on-board computer has warnings for everything - except low screenwash level. Missing this as well, ran out on the way to work yesterday as somehow I had got it into my head that the washer bottle was bigger than it actually is. Of all the days to run out too - had been snowing heavily and roads were wet and well gritted so screen was getting dirty constantly from traffic.

Suppose you can't have everything.

·
Premium Member
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Shocking ain't it! At first i thought the washer jets had just frozen, as it'd been really cold on the way to work.

·
Premium Member
376 Posts
I thought the washer bottle was quite large on the Civic actually. I haven't measured, but I believe I can fill about one and a half 4 liter bottles, that makes 6 liters in total... Or am I wrong...?

·
Premium Member
22,623 Posts
The washer bottle is large, 6 litres or so, but it also uses fluid at a high rate and the lack of fluid low sensor should, in my not so humble opinion, be a EuroNCAP point loss item.

·
radix lecti
960 Posts
I've got the same as you Morton (except a 2.2) and I guess we must get a bigger wash bottle due to having headlamp washers?

Still run through it as quick mind...

·
Premium Member
702 Posts
not boasting or anything but ive never ran out.

i use it frequently as well as i drive 400 miles a week and i do like a clean screen! maybe you should just top it up at the petrol station every now and again. im not saying I do this, i must just be more economic with my spraying.

·
Premium Member
873 Posts
My previous 2 cars had large (5 litre+) washer bottles. It's been a bit of shock to the system having such a small one in the civic as I have not got headlamp washers.

Also find it strange that the on-board computer has warnings for everything - except low screenwash level. Missing this as well, ran out on the way to work yesterday as somehow I had got it into my head that the washer bottle was bigger than it actually is. Of all the days to run out too - had been snowing heavily and roads were wet and well gritted so screen was getting dirty constantly from traffic.

Suppose you can't have everything.
Really don't find this an issue...

·
Premium Member
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Really don't find this an issue...
Good to hear, however, that is why I posted it in this section - as I do find it an issue.

Have had the car nearly three years now and have never filled it, not once.
Is that because it gets topped up when your car gets a service? Or do you never use the washers? Maybe your car has headlamp washers?

·
Exiled Englishman
606 Posts
Surely some common sense must prevail here, people know how much it holds and they now how often they use the washers, surely your brain must think "I must top that bottle up I've used the washers quite a lot recently"

Do we really need warning lights to advise us to do everything on a car?

·
Premium Member
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Surely some common sense must prevail here, people know how much it holds and they now how often they use the washers, surely your brain must think "I must top that bottle up I've used the washers quite a lot recently"

Do we really need warning lights to advise us to do everything on a car?
What are you implying mate? Or did you just not read my first post? :rolleyes:

·
Nice Guy!
2,360 Posts
No one should rely on electronics to tell them when something is needing topped up, ie, coolant, oil or windscreen washer. All driver should check under their cars bonnet on a regular basis.

It would be nice to have a little reminder about the windscreen washer
but in reality it is not required.

·
Premium Member
7,762 Posts
Whilst I would agree that we shouldn't need a low washer fluid light - on that basis we shouldn't need a low fuel light, low oil level light, bulb failure warning lights, brake pad wearing out light, or indeed indicator lights (on the dash, not the ones outside!), as with all of these items owners should be checking them on a regular basis.

However, back in the world of convenience that we all now inhabit, all of these items exist (though not all on a Civic!) and are welcommed :D

That said, I only ever once ran out of washer fluid in the Civic in 2 years, and once in the CRV (which does seem to use it even more than the Civic did!).

After that, I just got used to chucking some in every couple of months to keep it topped up :)

·
Premium Member
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Exactly, all i'm saying is that as I was used to having this and now that I don't, it's missed. Now that i've checked the handbook and realised that the washer bottle is a lot smaller than i'm used to, i'll be topping it up on a regular basis. :grouphug:

·
WARRIOR
2,107 Posts
had warning message on my vectra, it would come on and i still used it for days afterwards, still ran out though, its like a mind game with you and the water bottle, ........who was going to give in first[smilie=gt_grinz-br:, the bottle usually won:D. would rather have a fantastic car than a warning light.
oh have to go warning light came on... im going to FART

·
Premium Member
1,600 Posts
had warning message on my vectra, it would come on and i still used it for days afterwards, still ran out though, its like a mind game with you and the water bottle, ........who was going to give in first[smilie=gt_grinz-br:, the bottle usually won:D. would rather have a fantastic car than a warning light.
oh have to go warning light came on... im going to FART[/quote]

Reasonable point!
I have never had any car with such facility, so I never realized this was a problem until I read about it here.[smilie=smack.gif]

·
Premium Member
1,036 Posts
It's like petrol and oil, you only ever run out of these things once and then you learn. Sometime the hard way...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts