2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So last week my engine oil light came up, so I bought 5L of 5W30 and put it all in. Did not know you couldn't do that (yes I'm an idiot). Apparently I can release a load of the oil by unscrewing underneath the engine, even though it is already leaking, a mechanic tells me my engine capacity is 3.7L. Anyone have any thoughts for a quick fix on a budget? Cheers

·
Registered
338 Posts
If youre not comfortable with the removing the drain cap, you can get a syphon to remove excess oil. Its fine if you take too much oil out as you can always top it up to the correct amount. This time, make sure you put say 50ml in at a time when coming near to the max mark.

I suggest you get the oil leak fixed. Rather than spend a bunch of money for a garage to find the problem, clean up the oil in the engine bay with brake cleaner etc. Then drive it for a few day and look for the source of the leak.

·
i-Vtec
2,259 Posts
Sorry but if your not competent enough to put oil in there is no way you are competent enough to be considering removing it. Get someone who knows what they are doing to do it. Oh and don't drive it, you'll end up sending oil past the pistons and doing a good impression of the Red Arrows and ruining your Catalytic converter in the process too.

·
4,004 Posts
Will that go down the dipstick hole?
I'm with Das (post #3) on this one.

Or drain it all out and start again with some new oil. But fix the leak as well.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts