2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi new :civinfo: Member! I usually lurk on forums but this one seems like home so here's my first post.

I am a recent proud owner of a '56 i-shift 1.8 EX, Nighthawk I believe:)
First day I picked it up - awesome. I had a Smart Fortwo before so the transition was incredible.

After trawling through the forums on here I picked up pretty quick that I should seek an update on the i-shift software. I chose Newton Honda to perform said task and for the first couple of days after it seemed a lot less jerky and juddery. Maybe placebo? who knows.

However lately (a week or so later) the judder and jerkiness is back and yesterday (outside the gates for work) the car stalled, check system light on, flashing 'N' and reluctance to start, when it did, it reversed in Auto! Weird.
Anyway managed to get it started and drove it in - and home again 12hrs later.

Now, I have noticed clutch slip under swift acceleration after 4K revs and goes right up to the limit but no acceleration - definitely slip, right?
And ever since that check system light AND check oil level (couldn't remember if there was a '!') I'm thinking it can't be a clutch or dreaded clutch actuator....could it? :(
I HAVE, however turned OFF the VSA and while it wheelspun like crazy it did seem a bit better with the clutch slipping, for a while.

so, LONG story short for the short readers:
Car juddered a bit
Had software updated
Cleared up a while
Got worse [smilie=upyeah.gif] Stall/Check System light/Flashing N etc.
Clutch slips
Can't utilise VTEC
Being shown up by Golfs on the overtake
Lived on Civinfo for the past three days
Seems my options are as follows:

• Give it a probable well awaited service
  • Get Honda (other than Newton) to perform dynamic learning or clutch reset
  • Pull assy out and ship it to ECUTesting before xmas ;)
  • Change VSA sensors?
  • Rob a bank and just have Honda replace it all
  • Buy a HDS/HIM/Thingamabob and find the procedure and attempt a reset.

Does anybody have any input or wisdom they can impart on myself as you can see there are a few options some more viable than others...and I'm stuck!
All jokes aside this is ruining the owning of my first VTEC ('cos I can't even use it damned clutch slip!) so ANY shove in the right direction will be much appreciated!!!

Thanks a lot.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Had a word with Newton Honda earlier this evening, "Paul" is adamant that the update cannot be done again and couldn't answer my queries for clutch learning cycle. He insists it needs to be plugged into a HDS @ the cost of £57...not impressed!

·
Premium Member
2,617 Posts
The update doesn't need doing again. That is just software. It is the learning cycle that the HDS system does that needs to be done again. It may also point to a worn clutch if it is worn, if not it will at least sort out the calibration. It should also learn the gears which also seem wrongly calibrated if you are able to go into reverse in auto.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Awesome.
Well having performed a DTC check with the foil in the fusebox I learned no codes are up for anything clutch-related so I will be requesting the leaning cycle be done.

Thanks a lot delta0 hopefully all goes well

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.