2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

i-Shift having problems with 1st and 2nd gear on a hill

Transmission 
5K views 14 replies 5 participants last post by  delta0 
#1 ·
Hi, I own a 2010 model Honda Civic 1.4 with iShift. Recently, I experienced the following problem:
I went up a steep hill with the 2nd gear. The car shifted down to the 1st gear since the revs were not enough. Until here, it was OK, it was a clever choice to shift down, since the 2nd gear was not enough for the hill. However, after shifting down, is stayed on the 1st gear until the motor gets very high RPMs like 5000 - 6000. Only after I was on a flat piece of road, the gear was shifted high to 2nd gear again.

Is this a normal behavior? I think, that very high RPMs are not very good for the motor, and I would like to prevent this. Is there any way to do this except switching to manual gear mode? Any tips to do it just by adjusting the throttle?

#2 · (Edited)
Normal behaviour.

The I-shift is designed the calculate the correct gear dependant on engine load, engine speed, vehicle speed etc and chooses the best gear for the car. Revving to 6000rpm isn't a problem and will do no harm to the car. Having the car in the wrong gear such as 2nd on a really steep hill at a relatively low speed will put enormous strain on the engine as it will labour so much and this will cause more wear on the engine than letting it rev to 6000rpm and using it's band of power in a more suitable manner.

The Ishift is designed to select the best gear for the car in the current conditions. It won't harm the car.

Since having my I-shift I have learnt a lot about gear selection and where and when certain gears should be selected.

#10 ·
YOU bought it after YOU test drove it.
If you hated how the system worked why the hell did you buy it?

We all know you have had your problems but plenty others, including myself, have got on fine with it and not had a single problem.

#9 ·
I assume by soften you mean the pedal starts moving after you have stopped and you are pushing with the same or less force than before? That is a sign the brake master cylinder is wearing out and is leaking a little.

#14 ·
There are plenty of us out there with negative views of the i shift.

The Civics not a bad car, but IMHO, which is not the same as yours, the i shift is a very poor system and it annoyed me more with each of the 40,000 miles that passed under its wheels.

To drive across Spain on lovely smooth deserted roads which it did a dozen times at least, superb, hard to fault. But unfortunately in other situations it was left lacking..........luckily when it couldn't decide what gear to select at a roundabout (reported by others numerous times on this forum) no one ever did run into the back of me........

One big positive, it was dead easy to sell privately for £2k more than my Honda dealer offered me.

Regards all

Juan

#15 ·
There are plenty of us out there with negative views of the i shift.

The Civics not a bad car, but IMHO, which is not the same as yours, the i shift is a very poor system and it annoyed me more with each of the 40,000 miles that passed under its wheels.

To drive across Spain on lovely smooth deserted roads which it did a dozen times at least, superb, hard to fault. But unfortunately in other situations it was left lacking..........luckily when it couldn't decide what gear to select at a roundabout (reported by others numerous times on this forum) no one ever did run into the back of me........

One big positive, it was dead easy to sell privately for £2k more than my Honda dealer offered me.

Regards all

Juan
Very odd situation for you. Most of these systems are absolutely fine. I have also driven very steep hills in forwards and reverse with continuous and stop/start movements with no issue. I have also had no issue with pulling away at 3mph or any speed for that matter. I have also had no problem with slippy surfaces such as grass, snow or ice. The gear issue with the roundabout was sorted out with the software update.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.