2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone!

This is my first post here in this forum ;) I'm thinking of getting a 12/2009 made Honda Civic 1.8 Type-S i-SHIFT modell. I've read a lot about the i-shift but there were a lot of problems with the older models. But i really want to know if the i-shift is good enough in the 2009 version or not. So please if you have a 2009 modell with i-shift tell me about your experience with it.
Is it quick enough if you need power for an overtaking? Or if you want to start from a hill? Is it smooth if you are at a traffic jam and just want to roll a bit?

Also if someone could tell me the upgrades made in the i-shift for the 2009 version i'd really appreciate it.

Thank you! ;)

·
Registered
53 Posts
The only i-shift car I have driven was a Jazz courtesy car, and it was AWFUL!

Yesterday, my Civic went in for an MOT and service, and I had a Jazz with a traditional automatic gear box which was FAR better than the i-shift I had previously driven.

Ian

·
Administrator
MY22 Jazz EX Hybrid
22,547 Posts
I suggest you get a lengthy test drive and make your own decision.

There are lovers and haters of the i-shift so you'll get conflicting reports.

(I hated it)

·
Premium Member
317 Posts
Worst gearbox I've EVER encountered in 15 years of driving various cars. We had a 2006 EX with I-Shift and it was hardly ever in the right gear when you needed it, like at a roundabout or needing to overtake someone, then it would rev continuously when going uphill without changing up and hit the red line. Countless times it almost caused accidents by being in the wrong gear and eventually my wife did have an accident at a junction when in the wrong gear. NEVER again will I touch this type of "semi-auto". Fully auto or manual is miles better! Actually went to test drive a manual EX for my parents last week and wish we'd had that instead of the I-Shift. It was such a nice gearbox - difference was night and day. Even several mechanics told me to keep away from such cars. The latest models may be improved but I've seen enough to put me off them for life!

I-Shift? More like I-Turd! :thumpdown::scream1:

·
Registered
274 Posts
Felejtsd el, kézit vegyél, egy idő után már az is lomha lesz, nemhogy egy automata... :D

Az ülésfűtés honnan van bele? A rádió gombok miért fényesedtek ki 21.000 km után? Pár hónapja hirdetgettek egy hasonló színűt, ami törött volt. (nem tudom ez volt-e az, csak gondoltam megemlítem)

Forget it...

He speaks about this, i think:

http://www.hasznaltauto.hu/auto/honda/civic/honda_civic_1.8_type-s_i-shift-5452449

·
Premium Member
2,617 Posts
Early I-shift had a lot issues and this gave it bad reviews due to its poor performance (which affected its 0-60 and driveability). The issues all relate to the software. This was updated and all previous models got this update, I had my latest update mid to late last year. The issues it used to have were loosing power when you approached a roundabout at low speed (because the gear would suddenly change when you wanted to pull away) and very slow gear change time. The new software has solved these issues and I have not had any issues since. The gear change time in particularly is fast now (and I am a manual driver normally). The thing to remember is this is an automated manual rather than a traditional auto, so it will roll on hills unless you use the handbrake. I really like being able to have an involving drive with the paddles or a relaxed drive by leaving it in auto. What I can recommend is that you test drive it.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Worst gearbox I've EVER encountered in 15 years of driving various cars. We had a 2006 EX with I-Shift and it was hardly ever in the right gear when you needed it, like at a roundabout or needing to overtake someone, then it would rev continuously when going uphill without changing up and hit the red line. Countless times it almost caused accidents by being in the wrong gear and eventually my wife did have an accident at a junction when in the wrong gear. NEVER again will I touch this type of "semi-auto". Fully auto or manual is miles better! Actually went to test drive a manual EX for my parents last week and wish we'd had that instead of the I-Shift. It was such a nice gearbox - difference was night and day. Even several mechanics told me to keep away from such cars. The latest models may be improved but I've seen enough to put me off them for life!

I-Shift? More like I-Turd! :thumpdown::scream1:
Your opinion. Mine is great. Make sure you have the latest firmware updates.

I get the economy of a manual with the utility of an auto. There is some hesitation between 1st and 2nd gear when its cold, but once its warmed up is great. If you do a lot of short run town driving, you would probably better with the full auto in this case. Its actually pretty slick with the paddles on the road.

As long as you don't buy it expecting it to work the same as a full auto the OP should be fine. This is an automated manual.

As has already been said, try before you buy.

·
Premium Member
1,292 Posts
The only i-shift car I have driven was a Jazz courtesy car, and it was AWFUL!

Yesterday, my Civic went in for an MOT and service, and I had a Jazz with a traditional automatic gear box which was FAR better than the i-shift I had previously driven.

Ian
The Jazz does`nt have a traditional gearbox as it has a CVT transmission.

My I-shift is coming up to 5 years old now and I have no problems with it finding it to be very flexible, auto or manual and very economical and good fun. :D:D

·
Premium Member
763 Posts
Over 5 years with my i-shift.
It's not best gearbox, but it's far from worst.
One thing to remember - it's automated manual gearbox. This means gearchanges aren't as smooth with full auto.

However, all in all, I'm happy with it.
Many other people are also happy with it, but again - there are people who despise it.

·
Premium Member
55 Posts
One thing to remember - it's automated manual gearbox. This means gearchanges aren't as smooth with full auto.

Other thing to remember is your ment to lift off the accelerator as you manually shift up(paddles or stick).

I like mine, works well apart from paddling shifting and crossing your arms during turning

·
Registered
58 Posts
If you are going for a 09 model then the full auto should be available for the 1.8 (although not sure if that includes the S).
I have an ES 1.8 59 Auto and am delighted with it. The auto is matched beautifully to the engine and is far better than my previous gen Civic Auto, and even my earlier Rover 2.5 Auto.
Would thoroughly recommend it

·
Premium Member
2,617 Posts
If you are going for a 09 model then the full auto should be available for the 1.8 (although not sure if that includes the S).
I have an ES 1.8 59 Auto and am delighted with it. The auto is matched beautifully to the engine and is far better than my previous gen Civic Auto, and even my earlier Rover 2.5 Auto.
Would thoroughly recommend it
It really depends on what you want. An automated manual or a traditional auto. I would not buy a traditional auto because of the reduced performance and mpg. The experience with each is different. I normally drive manuals so I prefer an automated manual. (Legally they are both autos, so an auto license holder can drive either.)

·
Premium Member
98 Posts
I love my i-shift and do occasionally drive with the paddles, it is fine for overtaking although if you really want just shift down two on the paddles and then flick it back to A/Auto.I had the upgrade added to my ride at point of sale and it was one of the things I pushed to make sure was done.

I must say i found a bit of a difference when I swapped the filter out for a K&N flat panel as the car rev'd much higher and longer before a change.And definately lift your foot if using the paddles before dropping the hammer, it makes a big difference.For a relaxed drive I have to say i do love it!:D

·
Premium Member
55 Posts
Upgrade?

As a new Ishift owner I'm getting mixed info about software updates, which age of model it applied too and whether it's done under warrantee or at service.

·
Premium Member
2,617 Posts
Upgrade?

As a new Ishift owner I'm getting mixed info about software updates, which age of model it applied too and whether it's done under warrantee or at service.
It applies to all models. The older models benefit the most. I had mine done during a service. I requested that the software was upgraded to the latest version.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I have one - and love it. Had a few issues around economy and drivability, but that was cured during a routine MOT and took minutes... car was initially slow witted but once i'd done a good few miles it got settled... it's no full auto, not like a DSG (and without the inherent complications if it goes wrong) - its merely a manual box with electrical gubbins.

I hear that as its standard fair inside, you can even uprate the clutch (tho nobody I know seems to have had this done?)

Its about adapting YOUR style to the car. Now I know the quirks I can get round them....

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.