2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In freezing colds, the handbrake should not be used to avoid freeze-locks in the morning.
So the only way to secure the car is to park it while in gear. However, I noticed that the gearbox cannot hold the car on inclines, and releases it back in pulses. It is like you have parked a manual-shift car in high gear on an incline. So I have to steer to the pavement and touch my tyre to it, which I don't like because of the fixed deformation for hours, till the next morning.
Before I go and ask the service, has anyone noticed this as well? Can it be a characteristic because it does not have the "hill-holder"?

·
Nice Guy!
2,360 Posts
In freezing colds, the handbrake should not be used to avoid freeze-locks in the morning.
So the only way to secure the car is to park it while in gear. However, I noticed that the gearbox cannot hold the car on inclines, and releases it back in pulses. It is like you have parked a manual-shift car in high gear on an incline. So I have to steer to the pavement and touch my tyre to it, which I don't like because of the fixed deformation for hours, till the next morning.
Before I go and ask the service, has anyone noticed this as well? Can it be a characteristic because it does not have the "hill-holder"?
Let me get this right you are leaving the car in first gear and switching off
and the car wants to move ??

Facing up the way or down the way ??

Have you tried poping it in reverse and switching off ??

·
Nice Guy!
2,360 Posts
I park mine on our drive which has quite an incline and it holds.

Are you selecting manual though?

Select 1st if facing up-hill and reverse if facing down-hill.
that's what I was getting Allan Just in a roundabout way:)

althtough when you say your car holds I take it that is with the handbrake on?

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
Have you tried parking it in 2nd? there is instructions in the manual, but basicly change up when in 1st and stationary.

·
Premium Member
2,763 Posts
that's what I was getting Allan Just in a roundabout way:)

althtough when you say your car holds I take it that is with the handbrake on?

No, with the handbrake off. I tested it to make sure, whilst I sat in the car. Then I stepped out. It seemed to hold it without any problem.

Does yours start moving immediately, or after a few minutes?

·
Premium Member
7,762 Posts
when leaving it in gear, the only thing that is stopping it is the inability of the wheel movement to turn the engine over (rather than the more normal vice versa).

if the slope is steep enough, gravity will enable this to happen.

can't get is straight in my head wether more force would be required if the car was in 1st or 6th though (to take the extreemes), or why using the opposite gear (reverse if pointing down hill) would make a difference.

not saying it won't - just can't work out why it would, not sure if the engine would be any more difficult to turn over in the wrong direction :)

·
Banned
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sometimes it does immediately, sometimes 2-3 seconds later. Tried it in auto mode and manual 1st gear, and reverse too. Nothing changes.

TT, More force would be required to turn the engine in low gear because of the high reduction ratio. When it is in low, it is like you are exerting a force on the shorter side of an unequal-armed balance, so the shorter the moment arm (the lower the gear) the more force you will need to raise the longer end.

I haven't tried parking in 2nd. Normally it will be easier for the movement to begin, but due some probable defect in the 1st+R gears, it might hold. I will try.

Anyhow, as far as I know, in automatic transmissions, it is not the engine that holds the car but the park position which locks the gearbox. However, the i-shift does not have an individual park position so it may be possible that this is an inherent fault.

·
Premium Member
2,763 Posts
I've just been out and tested it again and it holds firm. In fact, there is a definite 'clunk' when you take it out of gear to start the engine. I tested it in facing up the hill leaving it in 1st, then reverse, then switching off the engine and then putting it in gear with the ignition only on.

Could it be that your clutch needs adjusting? I guess that, if the clutch has a slight slippage, it could allow the weight of the car to turn the gears as they would not be held by the engine/clutch. This may not be noticable when driving as the clutch would be hot.

Just a thought.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts