2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can I ask if anyone knows whether it harms the clutch in the i-SHIFT to leave the car in 'auto' when stationary at traffic lights or in a motorway holdup; or should should I put the car in 'neutral' :?:

The i-SHIFT is an 'automated manual' and it makes reference to 'the clutch' in the handbook. It may be that the 'clutch' is of a different construction to a manual gearbox with a foot operated clutch, and is designed for prolonged 'stationary' situations. Obviously, as with non-auto cars, for a long delay you would probably switch off the engine anyway but I can't really see the point of having 'auto' unless you could just 'select and forget'. [smilie=q-mark.gif]

·
Registered
13 Posts
The clutch on the i-SHIFT is the same as the manual car. It is not a torque convertor (as on a conventional auto box). When stationary, the clutch will be disengaged as it would if you had your foot on the clutch pedal.

·
Registered
105 Posts
It's not quite that simple. I expected the clutch to disconnect completely, which it doesn't, but asked the dealer if this was OK, and he said there is supposed to be a small amount of residual drag. Also, if you look carefully at the rev counter as you come to a halt, the revs are probably at over 1000 as you come to a halt, but then after about a second, they go down to normal tickover level. So I think it knows what it's doing, although I'm not sure what it's doing it with!

·
Premium Member
2,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
..hmm, that means I should treat the clutch as I would in a manual then; otherwise I could be wearing it out. [smilie=confuzzled.: Why did I bother then with 'auto' :?:

The last time I changed clutch plates was way back in 1960!!! I guess technology has moved forward since then but why don't they say 'it's an auto; but treat it like a manual when you stop' ? [smilie=sillyjester: Do modern clutches 'burn out' like they did then :?:

·
..with Superchips please!
336 Posts
Allan

Here's an excerpt from Honda's European website regarding definition of i-Shift:

Quote:
Intelligent Shift. Honda's automated control of the car's clutch. Different to an automatic in that i-Shift does not have a torque converter; it has the same clutch and 6-speed manual gearbox as other cars, but the gearchanges can be selected automatically (in auto mode) or manually (using steering wheel-mounted paddle shifts or a sequential-style shifter).
Unquote

·
Premium Member
2,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys, looks like I should shift into neutral when stationary, as I would in a manual then. :roll:

·
336 Posts
Allan

Just to throw another morsel of info your way - another quote from Honda's media website:-

Quote:

Honda i-SHIFT

(6-speed automated manual transmission)

Petrol-engined models in the Civic range with the exception of the 1.4S model can also be equipped with a new i-SHIFT gearbox (the first automated manual transmission to be featured in a Honda). The clutch and change actuator ensure good fuel economy, while the sequential paddle shift allows faster, smoother and more ‘sporty’ gear shifting. The Transmission Central Unit is used to control the clutch with hydraulic power generated by a direct current (DC) motor that replaces the operation of a manual transmission clutch pedal.

Unquote

As I understand it, the i-Shift mechanism is purely to automate clutch operation - but I don't think it puts the car in neutral for you :lol:

·
Premium Member
2,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi Al, no I didn't think it put the car in neutral; I was concerned with it holding it in first gear with the clutch disengaged and spinning the plates so as to wear them out and/or overheat.

How long should you sit with in auto before any wear or damage is caused?

I can't see that this point is covered in the handbook and, if you were to burn out the clutch after 10000 miles would the dealer say "Well you've been sitting with it in auto. It's damaged the clutch and that's not covered under warranty". :cry:

·
Premium Member
2,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've just spoken with Honda CS and my dealer. They both said 'treat it like a normal automatic and select neutral if it is a longer delay than just traffic lights or town driving'. :shock:

·
Premium Member
763 Posts
I don't see a reason why you'd have to put it in neutral.
When you stop, plates are fully disengaged, thus no wear/tear is happening.

·
Smell My Cheese!
1,888 Posts
Won't the thrust bearings receive a bit of wear/tear, like sitting with your foot on the clutch when driving.

·
Premium Member
763 Posts
If it's bearing as it should be - no. Yes, there is pressure on bearing than, but it should not affect it. If it were different I would expect warning in manual about it.
Imagine just how much pressure and forces bearings in wheel need to take when driving, especially in corners and hard brakings :)

·
336 Posts
I'm trying to find a full description of the engineering behind the i-Shift system on the Honda Japan website but at this moment I've been unsuccessful (it's not the friendliest site out!) Shame, because I found a similar paper on the VSA system processes which was very detailed!

Maybe Pottsy or Basegreen could help?? [smilie=dunceblock.:

Why am I interested, I've got a manual 'box?

...'cos I love knowing how things work..... :lol:

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
I always, put mine into neutral when I come to a dead stop the auto mode has a degree of creep built in like a "proper autobox" and I suppose just like a proper auto you shouldn't really sit in Drive with your foot on the brake. When I test drove the I-Shift the sales guy said if you stop for more than 5 secs put it in Neutral to avoid clutch wear. The clutch on the last car (also a honda) lasted 89,000 miles so they do wear out.

·
Registered
105 Posts
If you put it in neutral, you also need to get your act together when setting off. If you just shift it into drive, you get a flashing 'A', and it won't do anything until you put your foot on the brake. I've got caught out a couple of times already with this - I guess the guy behind thinks you've stalled [smilie=dunce.gif]

·
Galaxy class starship
1,053 Posts
Bigger Brother said:
The clutch on the i-SHIFT is the same as the manual car. It is not a torque convertor (as on a conventional auto box). When stationary, the clutch will be disengaged as it would if you had your foot on the clutch pedal.
I think I'd trust this guy since he obviously works for Honda at some level or another. :wink:

Right?
http://www.civinfo.com/forum/post5016.html

·
Premium Member
2,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yes, I think on the whole you must treat the car as a 'manual' when stationary. [smilie=gt-happyup.:

Thanks to all you guys for your helpful advice. [smilie=superkewl.g:

·
Registered
345 Posts
Hi,
Just my thoughts although a little off topic.
It is a pet hate of mine when at night the driver sits at traffic lights etc with a foot on the brake, as the bright brake lights can teporarily affect the vision of the driver behind and this is not just caused by drivers of automatics.

It is safer and more considerate to put the handbrake on and place the car in neutral.

Just my thoughts

Velocity

·
Premium Member
2,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Good point, Velocity, and also drivers who put on their rear fog lights when it's raining, sleeting or snowing. The glare reflected in the rain/sleet/snow means it's very difficult to identify when brakes are applied as the glare obscures the brake light.

Rear fog lights are just that; FOG lights. It's illegal to use them other than in FOG :!:

·
Registered
345 Posts
I agree with you allan40alt on the issue of Fog lights. I find it amazing how many people drive around in good weather with these on just because they think it looks cool.

Velocity

1 - 20 of 33 Posts