2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There has been lots of stuff written about i-shift gearboxes over the last couple of years,the way I can sum it up is that........if you are a driver who is in a rush to get from a to b.......then this is not the gearbox for you.If you are a (possibly older....like me) slower driver.....it is excellent.Great car.

·
Premium Member
1,292 Posts
There has been lots of stuff written about i-shift gearboxes over the last couple of years,the way I can sum it up is that........if you are a driver who is in a rush to get from a to b.......then this is not the gearbox for you.If you are a (possibly older....like me) slower driver.....it is excellent.Great car.
If you are in a real rush then you use it in Manual and if you want a more leisurely drive then you leave it in Auto, the whole point being is that it is a very versatile system allowing you to drive as you wish. :D:D

·
Administrator
20,951 Posts
I'm actually of the other school on this.

I find that if I'm in a hurry the box performs better than when I want a slow leisurely drive when it's not that smooth with elongated cuts of power between changes.

When you listen to Jensens F1 car change gear in a nanosecond with no loss of power and with no torque converter, that's what they should be trying to acheive with the i-shift.

IMO

·
Premium Member
1,292 Posts
I'm actually of the other school on this.

I find that if I'm in a hurry the box performs better than when I want a slow leisurely drive when it's not that smooth with elongated cuts of power between changes.

When you listen to Jensens F1 car change gear in a nanosecond with no loss of power and with no torque converter, that's what they should be trying to acheive with the i-shift.

IMO
I`m sure they could achieve it if a civic costs the same as a F1 car meanwhile I have no complaints with mine at all except that the latest 08 car is in a lower car tax bracket than the 07

·
Administrator
19,178 Posts
Welcome Pearl Bronze.

The I-shift really does seem to divide opinion - it must come down to personal preference!

·
Premium Member
1,292 Posts
Welcome Pearl Bronze.

The I-shift really does seem to divide opinion - it must come down to personal preference!
It always happens when there is something new some people will never really accept it. I remember the same thing many years ago ( 51 years driving ) when auto boxes started to become more common how many drivers saying that they would`nt have one of those as it takes all the fun out of driving.:?::?::?:

·
Administrator
19,178 Posts
It always happens when there is something new some people will never really accept it. I remember the same thing many years ago ( 51 years driving ) when auto boxes started to become more common how many drivers saying that they would`nt have one of those as it takes all the fun out of driving.:?::?::?:
You may have a good point there :idea:

·
Premium Member
1,292 Posts
Can't wait to get my i-Shift. The genius bit of the system for me is the way you can switch between modes at anytime.

Just hope the next seven weeks pass quickly!
It`s like agony waiting but it`s sure worth it. Once you get used to the I-shift you`ll find it`s wonderful but you do have to learn the technique for using it.
If you are ordering a new one then you will have the reduced ved as well, every little helps
Best of luck with and enjoy it :D:D:D

·
Premium Member
144 Posts
IMO
I thought F1 cars were designed to last 400 miles (2 races).
Jensen's often doesn't manage 1 race - hence his 3 points so far this season.

Thankfully the current i-SHIFT is a little bit more reliable.

·
Premium Member
2,763 Posts
I thought F1 cars were designed to last 400 miles (2 races).
Jensen's often doesn't manage 1 race - hence his 3 points so far this season.

Thankfully the current i-SHIFT is a little bit more reliable.
...and durable...and it too changes gear very fast with the paddles. Magic system...just floor it and flick it! ;)

·
Administrator
20,951 Posts
We must have different i-shift boxes !

The actual gear change may very well be fast behind the scenes, it's that lag that occurs whilst it cuts power to the throttle then returns it after the gear has changed.

Doesn't yours do that ?

·
Premium Member
2,763 Posts
I'll test it, but I can't say I've noticed any delay or hesitation with the paddles when I have a few revs going; but now you've mentioned it I bet I'll find it!! ;)

·
Premium Member
1,292 Posts
We must have different i-shift boxes !

The actual gear change may very well be fast behind the scenes, it's that lag that occurs whilst it cuts power to the throttle then returns it after the gear has changed.

Doesn't yours do that ?
Very slight lag in Auto at high revs but if I`m driving fast I use the paddles with instant changes and no delay. It still comes down to learning a different technique with an automated manual box and once learned it`s a wonderfully versatile box

·
Premium Member
1,292 Posts
Question has to be. Why no i-shift for the diesels?
One of those strange marketing decisions from Honda as they have never marketed a diesel automatic. I can`t see a technical reason as other manufacturers do it but it is apparantly changing in the near future

1 - 20 of 21 Posts