2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Premium Member
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello to all you crazed out Honda Lovers........
I'm interested in finding HID's for my Type-R. I don't want to put on just any kit, I wnna be sure that they work without any problems. If anyone knows any details about the HID upgrade for the Type-R please get in touch with me.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
283 Posts
There is a big thing about all of this on the forum already, as i myself aswell wanted HID's for my car and went ahead and bought them, only to find the Law does not allow aftermarket HID lights unless your car has auto leveling head lamp units and washers on the front of them, you might want to try and see if the dealer will fit some official honda ones. I am going to call them myself about it too tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
22,623 Posts
There is a big thing about all of this on the forum already, as i myself aswell wanted HID's for my car and went ahead and bought them, only to find the Law does not allow aftermarket HID lights unless your car has auto leveling head lamp units and washers on the front of them, you might want to try and see if the dealer will fit some official honda ones. I am going to call them myself about it too tomorrow.
Greek law may be different.

·
Registered
37 Posts
They come as standard on Belgium Type R's, maybe there is a way to do it through the dealer?

(But than you would also need the head light washing installation and auto-levelling, both are legally obliged in Belgium)

·
Registered
716 Posts
I believe the rules are derived from European rulings so will probably able across Europe.

the only save way to do this is fit them from an official model. However if it's anything like Ford then the cost will be massive.

A guy with an XR5 in Australia priced up the UK Focus ST HID's, came out at over £1200

·
Premium Member
272 Posts
let us know how much they say

·
Premium Member
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
HID'S are great

They come as standard on Belgium Type R's, maybe there is a way to do it through the dealer?

(But than you would also need the head light washing installation and auto-levelling, both are legally obliged in Belgium)

914 I was hopping you can get me a price for the light system (with the auto level and without the auto level) from the Type-R (HID) and sending. If you find some free time to do this.

Thank You:)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
12,496 Posts
Just having a quick look and a guess, the parts alone are around €2660, and I may have overlooked a few parts. Then you have to install it all, and I have no idea whether the loom and ECU programming is the same.

I'd just go for some better halogen bulbs!

·
Foglight Covers FORSALE
3,178 Posts
ive seen some hids on ebay for the new type r £130 so a good price. i will post the link .

·
Foglight Covers FORSALE
3,178 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,762 Posts
and the website behind that ad is:
HID SHOP

and on their FAQ page (strangely enough down near the bottom)
HID SHOP :: Products
is this little gem
thehidshop said:
Are these HID systems road legal? Aftermarket HID systems are not road legal due to the fact you cannot 'E' mark a bulb that is of different type to the bulb it is replacing (ie HID for halogen). Therefore we can only sell these as off road use conversions. Although some hid conversion are legal for example a customers has a car that already has projector cones to control the light, a headlamp washing system and also auto leveling system for the headlight commonly found on new on new cars, if he/she upgrades to a xenon kit then the car has all the requirements for xenon headlamps, honestly if you look some cars they don’t have this yet they are legal such as imported vehicles, example Honda s2000 and Mitsubishi EVO’S from Japan, most Japanese imports which have xenon lights don’t have headlight cleaning system as they are not required in Japan but they still pass the SVA test?
But the good news is that they then go on to tell you how to not glare other road users, so that's a plus for them :)
thehidshop said:
How can I adjust the headlight so there is no Glare to other users? This is very simple, take the right size Allen keys most commonly used to adjust headlight and adjust the headlamps manually, palace the setting inside on the dash for the headlamps to the lowest, and while the car is on a flat ground platform and in front of a wall or garage door, adjust accordingly, and that’s it, I am sure you will be able to determine when it is or not causing glare.

·
Foglight Covers FORSALE
3,178 Posts
listing does state anti glare for u.k. if i was after a set i would buy them. but has i have an EX i dont need them.

·
Premium Member
7,762 Posts
listing does state anti glare for u.k. if i was after a set i would buy them. but has i have an EX i dont need them.
it does indeed :D

but I couldn't find anything on their site about quite how they were anti glare, except for the very useful explanation on how to adjust your headlights...

:D

·
You're or your..........
2,782 Posts
Here is my fn2 with h.i.ds

yep that dip beam, main beam and the old fogs [smilie=thatworks.g:[/quote]

that looks so sexy
why dont honda do this as STANDARD
how much does it cost all in ? also when i read about HID's people always mention ballast, proper noob question here but what is it and is it heavy ?

·
Premium Member
22,623 Posts
also when i read about HID's people always mention ballast, proper noob question here but what is it and is it heavy ?
HID headlamp bulbs do not run on low-voltage DC current, so they require a ballast with either an internal or external ignitor. The ballast controls the current to the bulb. When the headlamps are switched on, the ignitor provides rapidly pulsed current at several thousand volts to initiate the arc between the electrodes within the bulb. Once the arc is started, its heat begins to vapourise the metallic salts within the arc chamber, and the ballast gradually transitions from startup operation to arc-maintenance operation. Once the arc is completely stabilised, the ballast provides 85 V in conventional D1 and D2 systems, or 42 V with Mercury-free D3 and D4 systems.

Cut n paste job from here:
http://www.civinfo.com/forum/lights/9094-hid-s-xenon.html

Don´t know their exact weight, but should be non-material.

·
Premium Member
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
that looks so sexy
why dont honda do this as STANDARD
how much does it cost all in ? also when i read about HID's people always mention ballast, proper noob question here but what is it and is it heavy ?
It's not heavey nor is it noticable. What it is. is a cable used for the lighting system. It's important for this to be the same type as the original one.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts