2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,124 Posts
What kind of DRLs are you going to be using?

Your Avatar shows the 9th gen civic which has DRLs as standard, yet your posting in the 8th gen section.

Installing DRLs on the 8th gen is no easy task

You will also need a Normally Closed Relay to turn them off at night as per EU law.

The only +12v Ignition Source is the cabin which means you have to get a wire from the cabin to the engine bay which is not easy.

My How to on installing V3 Triton Switchbacks shows you how i got into the engine bay from the cabin

Attachments

·
Premium Member
633 Posts
Why does my FN2 have a light on the dash that says DRL, when to my knowledge no 8th gens had DRLs?

Sorry for slight thread hijack!

·
Premium Member
193 Posts
Why does my FN2 have a light on the dash that says DRL, when to my knowledge no 8th gens had DRLs?

I've also wondered this. Maybe a different market needed them and it was cheaper to produce all the same dashboards.

·
Super Moderator
7,124 Posts

I've also wondered this. Maybe a different market needed them and it was cheaper to produce all the same dashboards.
In some countries where DRLs have been required on cars for a while.
If the civic was sold in these countries they had a extra module added to turn the highbeams into DRLs by running them at half voltage.

If there was any issue with the DRL system this DRL light would light up.

In countries that did not need to have DRLs by law, they didnt have this module but it still used the same gauge cluster.

·
Deserter to Lexus
1,999 Posts
In some countries where DRLs have been required on cars for a while.
If the civic was sold in these countries they had a extra module added to turn the highbeams into DRLs by running them at half voltage.

If there was any issue with the DRL system this DRL light would light up.

In countries that did not need to have DRLs by law didnt have this module but it still used the same gauge cluster.
Grayfox you seem to know your stuff, is there a reason you suggest using an ignition controlled live as opposed to using a relay that just use a posative live from the battery? I beleive the relay senses voltage drop and turns the light on?

Im guessing the reason is because using this will draw from the battery and could eventually drain the battery, but I would image the draw would be negligable no?

Just thinking it would be a lot easier to install this way, as you just need a constant live, earth and then connect to the sidelights for the switch, then down to the drl's

Nice and tidy and simple?

·
Super Moderator
7,124 Posts
You want to use +12v ignition power so the DRLs turn on when the car is running.
If they were to be connected via the battery they would be on all the time.

You want to connect the headlights to the coil side of a normally closed relay so when you use the headlights the DRLs are off and this means they comply with EU law.

Making the DRLs dim is more tricky, so it is easier to make them switch off.

·
Deserter to Lexus
1,999 Posts
You want to use +12v ignition power so the DRLs turn on when the car is running.
If they were to be connected via the battery they would be on all the time.

You want to connect the headlights to the coil side of a normally closed relay so when you use the headlights the DRLs are off and this means they comply with EU law.

Making the DRLs dim is more tricky, so it is easier to make them switch off.

I was under the impression most modern drl modules were connected to a constant live feed and switched on when it noted the alternator has engaged and turns the lights on? Its definitely the way they advertise the modules. Totally eliminates the need to run words through the bulk head. Making the install much easier

·
Super Moderator
7,124 Posts
I was under the impression most modern drl modules were connected to a constant live feed and switched on when it noted the alternator has engaged and turns the lights on? Its definitely the way they advertise the modules. Totally eliminates the need to run words through the bulk head. Making the install much easier
Some detect when the alternator is outputting voltage, since output voltage is 13.6~14.5 but that is another part that can fail and the DRLs may be on for a short time after recharging it since the battery voltage will be above 12.8v or so.

·
Deserter to Lexus
1,999 Posts
Some detect when the alternator is outputting voltage, since output voltage is 13.6~14.5 but that is another part that can fail and the DRLs may be on for a short time after recharging it since the battery voltage will be above 12.8v or so.

Yeah they all seem to feature this now to be honest mate. When you say a short time, I would imagine it will be less than a couple of minutes at very worst no?

Even if it did fail modules seem to only be about £10 from UK sellers, cheap enough to replace. Just an alternative

·
Super Moderator
7,124 Posts
Yeah they all seem to feature this now to be honest mate. When you say a short time, I would imagine it will be less than a couple of minutes at very worst no?

Even if it did fail modules seem to only be about £10 from UK sellers, cheap enough to replace. Just an alternative
Well LEDs draw a very low amount of current and it depends on the battery and how much charge it has

Draw Current ÷ Battery Capacity = Total running time

Since the DRLs will turn off at about 12.5v it may be a few hours at most hard to tell.

What makes it harder is you dont know how it detects when the car is running

·
Deserter to Lexus
1,999 Posts
Well LEDs draw a very low amount of current and it depends on the battery and how much charge it has

Draw Current ÷ Battery Capacity = Total running time

Since the DRLs will turn off at about 12.5v it may be a few hours at most hard to tell.

What makes it harder is you dont know how it detects when the car is running

I'm surprised they would sell any if there was a major design flaw like that. I'll have to try find some reviews and see if these things work.

I was intending to use one of these myself to avoid sticking an ignition controlled live into the engine b'day

·
Premium Member
1,021 Posts
I'm on my 3rd set now got first set off Civinfo member who was making them they listed a year and an half,Second set was from ring they listed about 8 months and now I've got a £80 phillips set that startup when engine swithced on and go off a few seconds after engine swithced off, only been fitted a month so I see how a decent make goes.

·
Deserter to Lexus
1,999 Posts
this was the type or absolute budget thing I was meaning grayfox. Most of the reviews seem to state 28 seconds after turning the ignition off, 1 mentions a couple of minutes

But none mention it taking hours for the LEDs to drain the battery enough to notice the voltage drop and turn off?

I am aware that is very cheap Chinese electrics, but its only a relay again this one also has 70 odd reviews most of which are posative
gotta be worth a punt?

·
Deserter to Lexus
1,999 Posts
I'm on my 3rd set now got first set off Civinfo member who was making them they listed a year and an half,Second set was from ring they listed about 8 months and now I've got a £80 phillips set that startup when engine swithced on and go off a few seconds after engine swithced off, only been fitted a month so I see how a decent make goes.
Any chance of a photos of your Philips setup installed?

·
Premium Member
1,021 Posts
This is what I fitted and very easy to do, the drl's are plug in and then it's only connect to battery and then 1 wire to side light or main light to switch off drl's when you switch your lights on.

Attachments

·
No Smoke no poke
3,589 Posts
This is what I fitted and very easy to do, the drl's are plug in and then it's only connect to battery and then 1 wire to side light or main light to switch off drl's when you switch your lights on.
I bought a set of second had ones of these the daylight 4 off fleabay but they where too big for where i was after fitting them I bought a set of these and this is where they will be fitted.

High Power 2Pcs/Set 6 Led 9W Universal Car Light Source Waterproof DC12V DRL Daytime Running Light Auto Lamp White Free Shipping-in Daytime Running Lights from Automobiles & Motorcycles on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

IMAG0418.jpg

Wardy

·
Deserter to Lexus
1,999 Posts
Thanks I meant a pic of them on the car though to see how they look fitted and what the look is like?

Thanks

1 - 20 of 32 Posts