2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Oldboy-racer
909 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While waiting for my 09 8G to be checked over at my local Honda franchise I was persuaded to have go in the new 9G iCDTi version.
The 8th was always a sporty looking car even at entry level and Honda seemed to be wanting to grab the younger market with it, but this one I'm not quite sure who they are aiming the 9G at.
It has more refined quality but I found that it seemed to be suffering from a bit if a middle age identity crisis. Everything seemed to be squidgy around the edges, from the podgy steering wheel to the soft seats, soft ride, podgy rear and general middle age feel - too much like me :musicus:!
The car looks like it is leaning more toward a mature market (and starting to look like so many other cars) but at the same it is trying to cling onto its childhood with those "forbidden planet" retro tacho clusters.
Its like the designers said to themselves "We need to make it different". So they stuck the handbrake on the stupid side of the centre console (at least for hand brake turns :razz:), they took the rational smooth uncluttered 3D look of the dash and split it up into separate globules, they covered the gear stick, they moved the eco-gear change arrow way out of line of sight and hit you with so much tech that I'm sure the establishment will bring out a new law to stop you ogling at it all while your driving.
Yes the drive is a little smoother, but I found the facelift 09 that I have to be really quite refined with a perky disposition, and I didn't realise just how much more uncluttered and a drivers' car it was till I slipped back into its supportive seat, pressed the red button and as the lovely 3D display sprang to life and I pulled out onto the road a familiar smile appeared back on my face.

I read Pottsy's review and it looks like he had a good time with it. I just found it bit ... sorry if I offended any new owners. It still has those magic seats and is exceptionally well laid out otherwise, that Honda quality too and at least they didn't do what Ford and Renault did to their babies, squashed them!

Anyway, I was told I could book one out for a whole day when I take my car in for it's next service! That's impressive. Western Honda, Edinburgh, know how to look after their customers. :popcorn:

·
Premium Member
2,202 Posts
Ive just been into my local dealer today as well. I have to say the new civic does feel of better quality in some parts but business as usual in others. The door cards for one are much 'beefier' and feel like those in a Volvo. The steering wheel material choice is slightly strange. The front actually looks quite nice but that rear is not a good look for now until an R model comes with some tweaks. The dash seemed abit too complicated but felt snug like there was more car to shield you from outside compared the 8th gen.

I've yet to test drive one but this civic seems like a better all rounder than the old one aside from on the styling front from initial impressions. It's sounds strange but it feels like a better car but i wouldn't buy one but that's just me favouring looks over most things with a car.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts