2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Premium Member
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, I have an '08 Civic which got its windscreen smashed a few months back. After a disasterous job from National Windscreens scratching up all the displays in the car, it seems that in this cold weather the inside of this new windscreen ices up to the point I have to gently scrape it to get the ice off...

Is this a common problem with Civics or is this just another flaw from Disasterous Windscreens?

·
Premium Member
179 Posts
Never happened to my civic, I'd think the windscreen hasn't been sealed properly.

Should be nothing to worry about though unless there is alot of water getting into the cabin

·
Premium Member
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No I never use the air con. Occassionally I have the heaters on the front windscreen to warm it up due to the condensation... but this icing is at the point where I thought it was on the outside and then realised it wasn't.

If I phone up these guys and tell them, do you think I'm likely to get it done for free? It went through my insurance last time, but I have since changed my insurance provider... ARGH

·
geekess
3,638 Posts
You should really keep your air con on all the time. It dehumidifies the air in the car and also keeps the air con working properly.

To get ice on the inside there must be a lot of water vapour in the car which is condensing and then freezing on your cold windscreen.

·
Premium Member
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Niiiiiiiiice. I'll drive with it on auto from now then.

Thanks guuuys

·
Premium Member
12,492 Posts
Give it a week or so of driving, it does take a while for it to dry out properly. If the problem continues, then yes your dodgy screen may well be leaking.

Normally though, the symptom of a leaking screen is a puddle of water in the front footwells.

·
Silent Assassin
400 Posts
Out of interest, where abouts is the ice on the screen?

The reason I ask is, occasionally i get heavy condensation in the very bottom corner of the windscreen on the drivers side. The other day it even looked green (but the cloth wasnt green when I wiped it away).

This only happens if I dont have the aircon on, and it is usually exactly the same spot that gets it.

·
R.I.P - (User sadly passed away)
9,228 Posts
Also, condensation is more likely to form on a surface that isn't 100% scrupulously clean, so if there is a little 'traffic-film' on the inside, that'll tend to make any problem even worse ...

·
Silent Assassin
400 Posts
hmm dunno how mine got dirty, I never have the windows open :(. plus I clean it with an alcohol based cleaner every weekend.

It is in the very corner (about the size of a hand) and is hard to reach due to the angle of the windscreen where it meets the dash, and I would imagine it has the potential to ice up when it gets cold enough.

·
Premium Member
43 Posts
Hi my Civic also had ice on the inside this morning to the extent of having to wait at least another 10 mins after the outside was clear, i always use the auto aircon function and have today checked the car thoughout and found no damp what so ever. Came on here tonight to see if this is common as its the first cold morning i have encountered and was not impressed, sold an old mondeo with screen heater for this car and until this point was hands down better, not in the cold though.

·
R.I.P - (User sadly passed away)
9,228 Posts
Hi my Civic also had ice on the inside this morning to the extent of having to wait at least another 10 mins after the outside was clear, I always use the auto aircon function and have today checked the car thoughout and found no damp what so ever. Came on here tonight to see if this is common as it's the first cold morning I have encountered and was not impressed, sold an old Mondeo with screen heater for this car and until this point was hands down better, not in the cold though.
My Civic is 25 months old, and now beginning its 3rd. winter here in SW Norway (cold and very wet) ...

The only time I ever had ice on the inside of the screen was when I inadvertently left a rear window open (just a tiny bit) over-night ...

So, if you have the problem, it must surely mean that there is moisture inside the car somehow or other - window or door seal ? - windscreen not properly bonded ? - wet carpets from feet ? ...

Note - moisture doesn't mean that you would necessarily feel damp anywhere - but a relatively low moisture level over the whole interior could easily lead to ice inside the front screen ...

Do you have all the air vents in the dash open ? - does the rear screen also have icing - try to narrow down the causes ...

Irrespective, those who do encounter this have my total sympathy - a previous Citroen I had did this, and I could never find a concrete cause ! ...

·
Premium Member
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Hi guys, thanks for the stories and info... having the AirCon on for the last week or two seems to have solved the problem. We've had this snow and ice in London and I've not had any ice on the inside of the windscreen. I assume my problem was caused when my windscreen was smashed a few months back, moisture must have crept in then and that was only made apparent a week or so ago when the cold weather arrived.

The ice for me was all over the windscreen, not in patches.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I get it in my 57 plate Type R quite often when very cold, usually towards the top of the windscreen around the rear view mirror area. I use the air con regularly and have never had the windscreen replaced or anything.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
I have had ice on the inside of both our civic and corsa.

You really must keep the air con on, though!

·
Premium Member
235 Posts
My theory is that you get ice forming from the moisture carried into the car on your shoes in wet or, especially, snowy weather. This soaks into the carpets and takes a while to dry out.
If, as this last week, the snow lies for a while then you will drag dampness in every time you jump into the car and it will be longer before it's dry inside again.

·
Premium Member
246 Posts
Yep, i've had ice on the inside of my windscreen too. I think my issue is that my car isn't ran long enough to heat up and dry out the mats etc. So it just ends up damp inside. Using air-con won't make a blind bit of difference in my case if the inside of the car is damp.

·
Premium Member
22,623 Posts
This happens in all cars if the circumstances are right, these being cold enough and damp enough inside the car.

I always run the heater on "Hi" and "foot well" until my toes are toasted to make sure the foot wells are dried out on each trip.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts