2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Basically I'm going for a 'simple' 4 channel amp and new speakers (components in the front and coaxial in the rear) set up with my standard head unit.

I have been doing some reading on here and other forums and have found that the standard head unit does not have anywhere to connect the RCA leads from the amp. Koen in this thread has said that we need a LOC in order to connect the amp to the head unit.

If this is the case can I connect this one to my head unit? Taking into account that I've already installed a Parrot kit (using a SOT lead) so will there be some space free to connect this up so that I can connect my amp to it?

Any help will be much appreciated.

·
Likes this
407 Posts
Interested in this too, cheers

·
Registered
337 Posts
You would need a converter to convert your speaker wires from the car into RCA wires to input into your amp.

If i were you, instead i would buy a 4ch amp with high level inputs, then just put the rear speaker wires into the amp without any complications of earthing LOC's etc!

·
Strong in me The Force is
765 Posts
If i were you, instead i would buy a 4ch amp with high level inputs, then just put the rear speaker wires into the amp without any complications of earthing LOC's etc!

That's the simpelest solution indeed: get an amp that has high level inputs, so you can omit the LOC. For a 4 channel amp I would however not only use the rear speaker wires, but also the front ones. Otherwise you'd lose the fader function.
In case you have to use a LOC (when you already have an amp without high level inputs, or for whatever reason) make sure to get a very decent one! I've tried one before and it was so bad that at that point I decided to make my own.
BTW the one you suggest in your first post is one that has DIN input sockets. The civic's HU doesn't use DIN sockets, so you would have to cut these and connect them in another fashion to the speakers outputs.

·
Premium Member
2,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The amp I'm looking at has high level inputs.

So by connecting the amp straight up to the front and rear speaker wires (would that be both sides of the car too?) that would be better quality sound than getting a LOC coming out the back of the head unit to the amp?

Thanks for the help so far guys :)

·
Strong in me The Force is
765 Posts
A 4-channel amp needs 4 inputs. So you do need to tap signal from all 4 speakers indeed. So that's 8 wires going to the amp for input, and 8 coming out for output, too. And then there's plus, minus, and remote... :) The easiest way is to tap the signal from the loom coming out of the HU.
Hard to tell if the signal is better with the built in converter in the amp or with an extra LOC outside the amp. One would think the built in LOC is better because it is designed to work with that particular amp.
I would go with the simpelest config, and user the high inputs on the amp. No further hassle with external LOC etc.

·
Premium Member
2,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the help Koen.

I've got two choices to go with then, think I'll make my decision when I start taking the head unit out again. It may be easier for me to fit a LOC with a ISO cable attachment (just clips to existing SOT lead that I've already installed for Parrot kit), just like this one I've found LINKY

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
Not having a go or critiscing in any way, but i just cant get my head around why some people are retaining the original head unit :confused: not to besmirch honda but it really is a bag of poo. I understand for some people its the cost involved but for most with expensive mods it baffles me somewhat. Even if its for the point of keeping it oem when it comes to sell surely you could keep the original and put it back at point of sale?

Sorry for my ignorance

·
Premium Member
2,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Not having a go or critiscing in any way, but i just cant get my head around why some people are retaining the original head unit :confused: not to besmirch honda but it really is a bag of poo. I understand for some people its the cost involved but for most with expensive mods it baffles me somewhat. Even if its for the point of keeping it oem when it comes to sell surely you could keep the original and put it back at point of sale?

Sorry for my ignorance
Not to worry mate.

I purely is the cost. I looked into getting a double DIN touch screen job that did everything but when I looked at the price for the modified surround I gave up as it came to nearly the same price as my speakers and amp put together (not going for a really expensive setup).

I'm just looking for something that will be better than what I've got but not fussed about paying through the roof for even better quality, if that makes sense. :confused:

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
Understood, I acquired mine through a swap with a friend. Its a bit dated now and takes roughly ten seconds to load up when ingnition is turned on but it plays dvds, shows the reversing camera clearly, has usb etc etc even a garmin satnav. im sure there are some good working older models out there to be had on the cheap that will seriously kick the sheep out of the oem unit.

I also understand its not the first or most important mod to spend money on. Musics quite important when im driving though and i cant enjoy my drive as much without it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts