2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking around the threads here and I'm hearing about things I didn't even know existed like detailing clay :confused: Before now, all I've done is driven the half mile down the road to the automatic car wash and driven my car through, returned home and waxed the car by hand. That's about as far as I've ever been with cleaning my previous motors.

I pick up my first Honda Civic next weekend and from all of the shopping around I did looking at Civics, I noticed the paint is pretty soft from all the bonnet stone chips I saw so was quite wary about putting it through an automatic car wash and seen it's frowned upon here.

Would someone be able to give me a brief breakdown of what I need to do to keep my Civic looking good and the stages of car cleaning? I did read through some of the threads but feel I still have a lot to learn and understand :facepalm:

·
Supporter
3,159 Posts
Have to say that before getting the civic I was the same, owned some decent cars in my time including a couple of Mercs and beemers. Since joining Civinfo I have been amazed at just how much there is to know, the lengths people go to in order to keep these wonderful machines looking amazing never fail to impress me.
I have started small with
2 buckets
Couple of noodle mitts
Shampoo
Scratch remover
Polish
Wax
Alloy wheel cleaner and wheel brush
Some applicators
And loads and loads of microfiber cloths
As Shaun says everyone has their favourites but from following what he recommends I do not think you will go wrong, he seems to be a guy who knows what is good and his opinion is well respected, lots of amateur experts on here with brilliant advice.
It is fun, spent another couple of ours today getting it gleaming again.
The paint is soft and my bonnet in particular looks bad as I do about 3000 miles per month, mainly motorway, despite being careful it is peppered with stone chips, it will need to be resprayed before selling, which will not be for a long time yet :)

·
Premium Member
3,216 Posts
comes down to personal preference obviously, but with the right use a good sponge (like the zymol one) is no more of a risk to paintwork than a washmitt
Can't agree with that one.

With a sponge any grit sticks to the surface so scrapes along the car as you make the pass. With a noodle mit, most of it goes down between the noodles so it doesn't contact the car again as you pass over it.

If you want a good car washing routine then you want:

1. Spray on wheel cleaner and wait for recommended time

2. Jet wash with snow foam and use this to remove the wheel cleaner as well ie snow foam the wheels as well as the body then wait then until the snow foam starts to slide off to the point of going thin (5-20 mins depending on the foam brand and dilution), then jet was to rinse

3. Wash car using a good car wash liquid such as Autobrite and use a 2 bucket technique with grit guards in both, plus a noodle mit - this removes contamination from the mit before its reapplied to the car.

4. Jet wash to final rinse - dry with a microfibre by dabbing or light dragging (not rubbing) or better still a car dryer (expensive) or a filtered water rinse and natural air drying (expensive).

·
cooks chix&b.bean sauce
1,399 Posts
I made the big mistake of using a sponge to clean when i first got my car :( The swirl marks make me really sad :(

·
Premium Member
15,644 Posts
Can't agree with that one.

With a sponge any grit sticks to the surface so scrapes along the car as you make the pass. With a noodle mit, most of it goes down between the noodles so it doesn't contact the car again as you pass over it...................................................................................................
Not universally they arnt Alsone
Very fine sponges like the Zymol one Kev is referring to and the Dodo Juice Supernatural Sponge ARE safe
They are designed to be
Very fine sponges like the Zymol one and the DodoJuice Supernatural Sponge ARE safe
They are designed to be
http://www.elitecarcare.co.uk/dodo-juice-supernatural-wash-sponge.php
BUT NOT the yellow ones from supermarkets and Halfords!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.