2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I normally drive around town, however the last couple of times i've taken my car on a long run ie at least 40 motorway miles and the engine nice and hot when I stop the idle SOMETIMES becomes erratic reving from 1k to 1.5k for a few mins, When I try to pull away the engine seems to be lumpy and I end up kangarooing as if the engine wants to die then pick up.
There are no fault warning lights coming on and it only does it now and again so if I take it to the dealer I know they'll say theres nothing wrong with it.
Has anyone suffered from something similer and had a fault fixed ?

It would be easier giving the garage a clue before they tell me to go away
Thanks

·
Premium Member
4,106 Posts
Does this happen with the aircon on/off or both

·
Premium Member
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No its not the air con doing it as the idle only alters about 100 revs for that.
The engine seems to be "hunting" I think thats what its called.
Its a good 5-700 revs it moves up and down every second or so

·
Premium Member
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks yes its a bit similar but nowhere near as extreme and my car doesn't sound like a wet fart ( sorry if thats your car)

You have given me an idea
If it does it again i'll record it on the phone and show the dealer
Its just a pain cause its normally at traffic lights etc

·
Premium Member
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'll speak to the dealer tomorrow and see what they say but we all know what garages are like If its not obvious its either can't help or they all do that replies

·
Premium Member
1,611 Posts
Does it feel like the engine is going to cut out then the anti-stall kicks in and revs it back to its base idle speed? Or is it just idle hunting but without going below 1k rpm? If it's the first then could be a whole new ECU. If it's the second then like Neily03 I would predict the Idle Control Valve is dirty and needs cleaned. I had both instances on my old EP3.

·
Premium Member
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No the idle doesn't drop below 1k and it doesn't want to stall.

Just pulls away like a bag of poo and then just seems to clear :(

1 - 9 of 9 Posts