2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Idle Stop seems knackered. Can't remember last time engine switched itself off when I'm stuck at lights, etc. Used to happen all the time, but now seems to have just stopped. Did a long run this past weekend, with plenty of opportunities for it to kick in. But, no joy. Whether was in Econ mode or not made no difference.

Anyone else out there having similar issues?

·
Administrator
MY13 9G Civic Auto
21,813 Posts
Not sure whether the 9G is the same but quite a lot, if not all cars with AirCon active don't idle stop because there isn't enough power with the engine off.

= turn aircon off and try again

(I could be wrong though)

Reactions: NH Dan

·
Registered
365 Posts
Not sure whether the 9G is the same but quite a lot, if not all cars with AirCon active don't idle stop because there isn't enough power with the engine off.

= turn aircon off and try again

(I could be wrong though)
Don't think that's the case with the 9th Gen. Generally, mine idle stops with the air con on however, the system has proved to be be a bit temperamental to say the least.

Sometimes it idle stops, sometimes it doesn't. Then when at traffic lights and it has idle stopped, the engine will sometimes start again without me touching the clutch! All very strange tbh.

Not ideal, but unfortunately I've found the solution is to turn the system off! That way I know where I stand with no potential nasty surprises.

Steve

·
Administrator
MY13 9G Civic Auto
21,813 Posts
From the manual:

Auto idle stop does not activate when:
• The low temperature indicator is on.
• The vehicle comes to a stop again before the vehicle speed reaches 15km/h (9mph) after the engine starts.
• The shift lever is in (R).
• Airflow from the climate control system increases.
> If you have selected the fan speed manually:
The display shows more than five vertical bars ECON mode ON.
• is on (the indicator is on).
• You are not wearing a seat belt.

·
#MrGrumpy
13,117 Posts
Don't think that's the case with the 9th Gen. Generally, mine idle stops with the air con on however, the system has proved to be be a bit temperamental to say the least.

Sometimes it idle stops, sometimes it doesn't. Then when at traffic lights and it has idle stopped, the engine will sometimes start again without me touching the clutch! All very strange tbh.

Not ideal, but unfortunately I've found the solution is to turn the system off! That way I know where I stand with no potential nasty surprises.

Steve
If the system detects that battery drain is too high it will restart the engine to engage the alternator.
A/C usage will cause a big drain so whilst it may switch off sometimes, it won't always and you should view the times that it does switch off as the strange occurrences IME!

·
Registered
365 Posts
If the system detects that battery drain is too high it will restart the engine to engage the alternator.
A/C usage will cause a big drain so whilst it may switch off sometimes, it won't always and you should view the times that it does switch off as the strange occurrences IME!
Thanks for the clarification.

As you can tell, i've never read either the Sat nav or owners manual except to check oil grades etc.!

Steve

·
Administrator
MY13 9G Civic Auto
21,813 Posts
There was a time when the owners manual was rather pointless but these days with all the toys and gismo's it's a must read IMO.

You don't know what your missing out on :)

·
Premium Member
365 Posts
I must admit Steve, it tends to be the first thing I do. Turn it off.

I appreciate it is a fuel saving device but I just cannot get used to it! I also think of the starter motor and the clutch getting a whole lot of extra work.

Having run a Type R for nearly 5 years, the savings are significant anyway.

Must take Kremmen's advice though, and read the manual!

·
Premium Member
6,455 Posts
I must admit Steve, it tends to be the first thing I do. Turn it off.

I appreciate it is a fuel saving device but I just cannot get used to it! I also think of the starter motor and the clutch getting a whole lot of extra work.

Having run a Type R for nearly 5 years, the savings are significant anyway.

Must take Kremmen's advice though, and read the manual!
Do you have to turn it off each time you start a journey?

·
Premium Member
365 Posts
Bog.
Yes you do.
The default is stop/ start activated. Pressing the button and turning off will disengage it, but only until you stop the car and turn the engine off.
There is a little orange light on the button to remind you it is disengaged.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've always used air con, ever since the car was new. Got the car in March, when temperatures were lower (sadly not by much, British summer!). Idle stop had no issue then. Went through the list of conditions in the manual and none were being satisfied, so idle stop should work. Will go bck to garage.

·
Administrator
MY13 9G Civic Auto
21,813 Posts
Are you sure that the condition :

Airflow from the climate control system increases
isn't valid with the recent rise in temperature ?

·
Premium Member
3,216 Posts
From the manual:

The display shows more than five vertical bars ECON mode ON.
Isn't that nearly always likely to be the case?

If you're coming to a stop you're hardly going to be accelerating and if you haven't touched the accelerator for a second or two you're going to be at 5 bars.

·
Premium Member
365 Posts
I think the decision must be made on whether there is likely to be a fuel saving. How that is worked out I have no idea, but I cannot believe that it would be that significant.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
I think the decision must be made on whether there is likely to be a fuel saving. How that is worked out I have no idea, but I cannot believe that it would be that significant.
Depends on how much time you spend stuck in traffic.

I used to have a gen 7 Civic IMA with auto stop, and it definitely saved fuel, as I spent a lot of time in town at the time of owning it.

I really like auto stop - I know it seems to wind some people up, but it is doing something for you that you would be unlikely to do otherwise. If it is well implemented it doesn't get in the way either.

On the IMA it was seamless, as there was no actual dedicated starter motor - the electric motor would quietly spool the engine back up with no noise.

·
Administrator
MY13 9G Civic Auto
21,813 Posts
I think I would be worried it wouldn't start again.

I used to have a Hillman Hunter like that !

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Took car into garage. They need to fully charge the battery before they can do anything else. Apparently, last weekends 560 mile round trip to Hull didn't do the job. So, need to book car back in so they can charge battery.

·
Premium Member
365 Posts
Seems odd it cold be the battery.

I hear what you say BodgerX, but it must surely put more wear and tear on not only the clutch and starter motor, but battery as well.

I don't tend to drive too much in heavy traffic, I must admit.

·
Registered
161 Posts
You must have your seatbelt on(!!!)
Mustn't have AC set to Lo/Hi or screen
Must have it in neutral
Must have your foot off the clutch
Must drive over 3mph to activate after stopping
Must have the bonnet closed(!!!)

If you switch idle stop display on it will give you a reason why it won't go into idle stop. If it shows the battery symbol but you feel the battery charge is ok, try disconnecting the battery sensor on the negative terminal of the battery for 5 mins and try again. The durability of the starter motor has been improved so there's no reason never to use it unless you just enjoy needlessly burning fuel ;)

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Seems odd it cold be the battery.

I hear what you say BodgerX, but it must surely put more wear and tear on not only the clutch and starter motor, but battery as well.

I don't tend to drive too much in heavy traffic, I must admit.

Clutch wise there will be no difference if you take the car out of gear at a stop. If you are holding it on the clutch at a stop, there will be less wear.

The starter motors in these systems are different to standard ones - designed to respond faster and have higher MTBFs.

Many systems have uprated batteries as well - the BMW and Mazda SkyActiv systems are designed to store energy from regenerative braking and therefore be more efficient with the alternator.

I don't think manfuacturers have stuck a standard starter motor and battery in and hoped for the best.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts