2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
21 - 40 of 71 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,455 Posts
+1 the battery is enormous and if you think, it has to be.... As when the engine stops, all the electrics running continue (gps, Lights, stereo etc)

The car starts instantly and the starter does not sound lick a std one.

In fact that's the thing you notice the most about the new civic... How much more high tech it is and the electronics more integrated.

·
Administrator
MY13 9G Civic Auto
21,806 Posts
So presumably, with this higher spec battery. If you turn the idle stop off to conserve battery power you shouldn't have any 8G related battery problems like when some have played their radio for an hour then it won't start ?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Battery has now been charged. Idle stop seems to be working again! Will monitor and keep fingers crossed that issue is now resolved.

·
Premium Member
1,320 Posts
As this thing can't be permanently turned off then that's a good enough reason not to buy a 9th Gen.

No point accepting the Dealers offer of a test drive!

·
Administrator
MY13 9G Civic Auto
21,806 Posts
I have read that some have decided not to buy a 9th gen because it's got a shark fin aerial !!!!!!!

·
#MrGrumpy
13,117 Posts
I don't think it's permanently disableable (not sure that's even a word...) in any car that has it.

·
Premium Member
1,320 Posts
With a mind so closed, I'm amazed you are accepting of even the automobile as a techology... :)

My mind isn't closed.

It is simply that I find the feature completely useless to me and don't relish the thought of disabling it every single time I get in the vehicle.

For me, it's not progress! Not everyone is interested in environmental issues.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
It saves fuel. A well implemented system (such as the BMW ED one) doesn't get in the way. It is win, win really. All cars will have it eventually.

·
Premium Member
1,320 Posts
It saves fuel. A well implemented system (such as the BMW ED one) doesn't get in the way. It is win, win really. All cars will have it eventually.

Agreed, it may save small amounts fuel - personally, not bothered.

What happens when you want to pull out fast into moving traffic from a standstill and find yourself waiting for the car to start up.

I suppose all cars will end up with it but someone will come up a method of disabling it - bit like the EGR valve!

·
Premium Member
6,455 Posts

What happens when you want to pull out fast into moving traffic from a standstill and find yourself waiting for the car to start up.

I suppose all cars will end up with it but someone will come up a method of disabling it - bit like the EGR valve!

You can't beat it... Even if you want a quick pull of, the engine has started by the time you start bringing up the clutch...

·
Registered
1,261 Posts

Owned a E91 BMW with it and I never managed to catch it out. The moment you touch the clutch the engine is on. I couldn't beat it out of the blocks.

As stated previously these are not standard starter motors.

·
Premium Member
1,320 Posts
Seems I'll have to give one a go then!

·
shameless
538 Posts
if you stop with clutch pressed and car in 1st gear start/stop cannot operate- job done simples

·
Registered
365 Posts
As this thing can't be permanently turned off then that's a good enough reason not to buy a 9th Gen.

No point accepting the Dealers offer of a test drive!
If I may say so, imo that's a pretty pathetic reason not to buy a car. Think i've heard it all now. Pushing a button once after starting the engine really isn't a hardship.

Steve

·
Premium Member
1,320 Posts
If I may say so, imo that's a pretty pathetic reason not to buy a car. Think i've heard it all now. Pushing a button once after starting the engine really isn't a hardship.

Steve

Each to their own - it's once EVERY time I get in the thing. As stated above I'll give it a go on a test drive drive but in all honesty I can't see me changing my opinion.

Anyway, these days it's multiple buttons - it'll be the start / stop, the VSA and god forbid if I ever go back to Vauxhall the ABS fuse also!

My main objection is having the eco / save fuel thing rammed down my throat - not everybody wants it! Eco / fuel conservation features extremely low on my new car requirement list. Performance / handling / braking etc come much higher.

Anyway, with regards to the 9th Gen, I had a good look at it both inside and out and simply wasn't that impressed - reminded me of a golf I once had. For me, Honda had removed the bits of the 8th Gen that I liked.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Each to their own - it's once EVERY time I get in the thing. As stated above I'll give it a go on a test drive drive but in all honesty I can't see me changing my opinion.

Anyway, these days it's multiple buttons - it'll be the start / stop, the VSA and god forbid if I ever go back to Vauxhall the ABS fuse also!

My main objection is having the eco / save fuel thing rammed down my throat - not everybody wants it! Eco / fuel conservation features extremely low on my new car requirement list. Performance / handling / braking etc come much higher.

Anyway, with regards to the 9th Gen, I had a good look at it both inside and out and simply wasn't that impressed - reminded me of a golf I once had. For me, Honda had removed the bits of the 8th Gen that I liked.

You shouldn't be touching the VSA button! So only one more button to push, really no big deal.

As for the interior and exterior of the 9th Gen vs the 8th Gen, don't agree. I've had two 8th Gens and now a 9th Gen EX-GT and imho, the 9th Gen knocks the socks off the 8th Gen.

Bottom line is, as you say, each to their own.

Steve

·
Premium Member
6,455 Posts
You shouldn't be touching the VSA button! So only one more button to push, really no big deal.

As for the interior and exterior of the 9th Gen vs the 8th Gen, don't agree. I've had two 8th Gens and now a 9th Gen EX-GT and imho, the 9th Gen knocks the socks off the 8th Gen.

Bottom line is, as you say, each to their own.

Steve
+1

21 - 40 of 71 Posts