2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
41 - 60 of 71 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,320 Posts
Why shouldn't I be touching the VSA button?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
MY13 9G Civic Auto
21,806 Posts
This time of year your probably right, but if you hit a bend too fast when the road is a bit slippery and I think you'll answer your own question.

The only time I ever turned it off momentarily was when I got stuck on a sheet of ice at a car park barrier. VSA kicked in every time I tried to move as the front wheels were just spinning.

·
Arfurs right hand man
4,125 Posts
If it wasnt the Auto Stop or VSA it would be something else. stevencavanagh obviously has a troll in his pants.

As i understand it he would rather not buy a car because he has to press a button when he gets in it? Fine by me. Does he actually realise that it only works when the car is out of gear and the clutch is released? Hardly a position where one would be engaging in 'pulling out in to faster traffic', so yet again, it wouldnt have any effect on him anyways. But hey ho, let him make his decision based on only a portion of the facts. as usual.

·
Premium Member
1,320 Posts
This time of year your probably right, but if you hit a bend too fast when the road is a bit slippery and I think you'll answer your own question.

Yes you're right! Then it's down to driver skill. I agree there is a place for this type of technology I.e. Bad weather etc and it should be down to the driver to assess the need to use it based on conditions, driver competence etc.

Hence the presence of the button in the first place.

·
Premium Member
1,320 Posts
If it wasnt the Auto Stop or VSA it would be something else. stevencavanagh obviously has a troll in his pants.

As i understand it he would rather not buy a car because he has to press a button when he gets in it? Fine by me. Does he actually realise that it only works when the car is out of gear and the clutch is released? Hardly a position where one would be engaging in 'pulling out in to faster traffic', so yet again, it wouldnt have any effect on him anyways. But hey ho, let him make his decision based on only a portion of the facts. as usual.

I wasn't going to bother replying but I will.

Firstly, there is no troll in my pants - just checked!

Secondly, I do realise it only works when the car is out of gear - an earlier poster stated this.

Consequently, I am in possession of the facts! If you'd bothered to read earlier posts I'd stated that I'll go for the test drive as a number of posters had said how good it was.

Thirdly, it's not just a case of pressing a button. I prefer to be in total control of a vehicle, not having it starting and stopping whenever it feels like, in the name of fuel saving (assuming the clutch is released and not in gear).

·
Registered
365 Posts
Why shouldn't I be touching the VSA button?

You should only be turning it off in exceptional circumstances, as it's an excellent driving aid that may prevent an accident.

Only two scenarios I can think of when you should turn it off:-

1) When racing on a track.
2) When trying to obtain as much traction as possible in icy conditions.

Other than that, it doesn't make sense to turn it off.

Anyway, turning it off means there's yet another button you have to touch!!!

Steve

·
Administrator
MY13 9G Civic Auto
21,806 Posts
3) A cure for constipation ?

·
1.8EX Milano Red 2007
910 Posts
You should only be turning it off in exceptional circumstances, as it's an excellent driving aid that may prevent an accident.

Only two scenarios I can think of when you should turn it off:-

1) When racing on a track.
2) When trying to obtain as much traction as possible in icy conditions.

Other than that, it doesn't make sense to turn it off.

Anyway, turning it off means there's yet another button you have to touch!!!

Steve

A quick question for you all, If you were to hav an accident with the VSA turned off couldnt the insurance company refuse to payout blaming the driver for turning it off?

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
If you driving that 'enthusiastically' that you needed the VSA, and crashed, I think you would be looking at 'driving without due care and attention' anyway.

Whether the Insurance could prove that the VSA was off, and would have got you out of trouble is a different matter.

I would have thought it unlikely that a policy states that you have to drive a car with a certain feature turned on...

·
Premium Member
1,320 Posts
A quick question for you all, If you were to hav an accident with the VSA turned off couldnt the insurance company refuse to payout blaming the driver for turning it off?

No. Firstly, the VSA defaults to on. So how would they know?

Secondly, they'd have a hard time justifying it as it is an option to turn it off.

If you were driving like an idiot then obviously the Police would look into it anyway - the insurance would simply deal with the crash - who's fault etc.

·
Arfurs right hand man
4,125 Posts
I wasn't going to bother replying but I will.

Firstly, there is no troll in my pants - just checked!

Secondly, I do realise it only works when the car is out of gear - an earlier poster stated this.

Consequently, I am in possession of the facts! If you'd bothered to read earlier posts I'd stated that I'll go for the test drive as a number of posters had said how good it was.

Thirdly, it's not just a case of pressing a button. I prefer to be in total control of a vehicle, not having it starting and stopping whenever it feels like, in the name of fuel saving (assuming the clutch is released and not in gear).

I've read and re-read the posts and whilst you now state you are in possession of the facts you continue to comment on how the car will stop and start when it decides, something it clearly doesnt do.

The stop start feature will only activate when you disengage the gearbox, i.e., when the car is in neutral. I've been driving one of these for a few weeks now and due to the fact that I have a reasonably short drive to work and therefore am rarely in neautral, it's only ever activated a couple of times when sitting in traffic. Hardly problematic, not exactly a hardship, I did however nearly dislocate my shoulder whilst leaning forward to press the button to turn it off.

·
Registered
365 Posts
'No' I don't think it would invalidate insurance. Firstly, if that was an issue then I would assume manuafacturers wouldn't have a button to allow the driver to turn the 'vsa' off.

Secondly, as others have said, they couldn't prove it was off.

I believe there was a discussion about this in another thread.

Steve

·
Premium Member
1,320 Posts
I've read and re-read the posts and whilst you now state you are in possession of the facts you continue to comment on how the car will stop and start when it decides, something it clearly doesnt do.

The stop start feature will only activate when you disengage the gearbox, i.e., when the car is in neutral. I've been driving one of these for a few weeks now and due to the fact that I have a reasonably short drive to work and therefore am rarely in neautral, it's only ever activated a couple of times when sitting in traffic. Hardly problematic, not exactly a hardship, I did however nearly dislocate my shoulder whilst leaning forward to press the button to turn it off.

Ok I will clarify.......

The car will start / stop when It wants when the gearbox is disengaged.

Whether that matters or not is irrelevant. So what I said is correct as there is no predicting when the car is going to turn itself off.

I'll try one and then I'll see whether the thing is to my liking or not.

Personally, don't fancy dislocating my shoulder either!

·
Premium Member
6,455 Posts
Just to pick up on the OP original point, I noticed that when the Auto Stop is not available, the i-mid shows a pic of why.. i.e a battery if the charge is low or AC if the AC is running full.

·
Arfurs right hand man
4,125 Posts
Ok I will clarify.......

The car will start / stop when It wants when the gearbox is disengaged.

Whether that matters or not is irrelevant. So what I said is correct as there is no predicting when the car is going to turn itself off.

I'll try one and then I'll see whether the thing is to my liking or not.

Personally, don't fancy dislocating my shoulder either!

Right, maybe i'm the only one seeing this but haven't you contradicted yourself in your second line with what you typed in your first?

·
Premium Member
1,320 Posts
Right, maybe i'm the only one seeing this but haven't you contradicted yourself in your second line with what you typed in your first?
Those lines were in response to one of your earlier posts where you implied that I didn't know how the car worked - I did and simply stated that I realised how the car worked and that the start / stop only kicked in when the clutch was disengaged.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
Idle stop worked for a couple of weeks after garage charged battery. Then, stopped working. Finally got it back to garage yesterday and they were able to confirm there is an issue, but don't know what it is yet. Car was hooked up to various diagnostics and data sent to Honda. Have to wait a few days for them to analyse and get back to me.

41 - 60 of 71 Posts