2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
This is EXACTLY something in the key I was expecting. They didn't deliver. The incredible thing is they could've easily have offered some iOs/Android bundle with the packs, and then have gazillions options to choose an app developer. It could've been awesome. We get T grade satnav instead, which was cool in 2007, but is now hopelessly aged (I'm saying this having bought and installed a very nice Pioneer avic f20bt in my Civic, which is very nice indeed but conceptually old).

·
Registered
380 Posts
honestly, i don't get it. howcome the big ICE/infotainment companies didn't jump on the android boat en masse? am I the only one to see it as the perfect solution for next gen entertainment devices?

·
Premium Member
6,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Android is open source and the manufactures would be worried about the cars network being hacked... then the ensuing class action!

·
Registered
57 Posts
You can safely "close" any android system to prevent root access. Samsung does this on their tablets. You could also provide key-infotainment system pairing to avoid hacking, or everything :). Then again, anything is hackable, it depends on the purpose...

·
R.I.P - (User sadly passed away)
9,228 Posts
You can safely "close" any android system to prevent root access. Samsung does this on their tablets. You could also provide key-infotainment system pairing to avoid hacking, or everything :). Then again, anything is hackable, it depends on the purpose...
Yes, I too have wondered where the "all-singing all-dancing" Android in-car communication and entertainment system is ...

With an Android OS, you can easily add hardware and \ or software from so many different sources - and if you gave a 'glitch' ? - the various Android Forum "geeks" will usually have a solution before Google does ! ...

It's being open Source that has made Android so popular and so versatile ...

I guess it's because car manufacturers are usually extremely 'conservative' when it comes to electronics ...

·
Registered
57 Posts
I think the first one that comes out with an android do-all device (including odbc) with fascias for the right target of cars, i'ts bingo. May have to call some chinese friends... :)

·
Premium Member
22,623 Posts
honestly, i don't get it. howcome the big ICE/infotainment companies didn't jump on the android boat en masse? am I the only one to see it as the perfect solution for next gen entertainment devices?
I agree.

An android based double DIN ICE unit with 3G, GPS and OBDII, USB and Bluetooth interfaces would be great.

It must be the next thing?

Edit: I have seen a windows based unit like this somewhere, basically a double din car PC.
Edit 2: HERE: http://chinagrabber.com/double-din-...r-w-gps-maps-bluetooth-mp4---car-pc-2270.aspx

·
...FORM > FUNCTION...
423 Posts
OMG...I think i'm in love...:p the digital gauges and instrument panels are awesome!

·
Registered
134 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Android is open source and the manufactures would be worried about the cars network being hacked... then the ensuing class action!
as if IOS was any safer....

btw. all of them are just made to spy on us

·
Premium Member
12,492 Posts
I like the way at 00:50 in the video he presses a button on the steering wheel, and the whole wheel bends/moves!

Nice to see US quality at its usual level...

·
Premium Member
945 Posts
tyre pressures are all off on that caddy..

·
Premium Member
6,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Regarding Android: bear in mind automotive industry is a slow one at adopting new features. Just remember the MP3 support, my Kenwood aftermarket stereo was able to play MP3s quite a few years before manufacturers started installing units with MP3 support built-in.

Since we are discussing about cool features, how about this one
Pioneer AR-HUD Car Navigation System « Akihabara News
Nice... would take some getting used too.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts