2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
872 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So yes folks, after just over a year without my beloved 07 NHB FN2 complete with a few mods, I'm coming back to the FN2 again to run alongside my Cayman S for 9 months or so until the Porsche gets the chop.

Got a very keen eye on Griff's SC Milano and a mint 17k miler 2010 NHB at the local dealers for £13k which will get the works if I go that way i.e. SC, intercooler etc, BBK and suspension bits etc, LSD, you get the picture. So the choice is between the two FN2's.

For those interested, I have test driven in the last week, a brand new Subaru Sedan WRX STI with the 340R pack upgrade and yesterday, a 6mth old Megane 250RS (again - its been over 2 years since I last tried one).

The Subaru had truly epic turbo lag before 2800 rpm and then ran out of puff above 5800rpm, so a narrow power band too. 0-62 allegedly 4.7 secs. My PCS 5.3. At the end of the 1.5 hr extended test drive I got 12 mpg in the Subaru. Same driving in the PCS is 22.6. We did a drag race when we got back in our cars - 0 to 75 on a de restricted dual carriageway - and my PCS was almost 2 car lengths ahead. Conclusion on the Subaru - not bad value at £28.8k (£26,995 plus 1800 for R pack and metallic paint) compared to the say the 265 Trophy or new Astra VXR, but no where near as nice to drive as even the stock FN2 let alone a modded one. Lesson learnt - big power and torque is only part of what constitutes as Evo describe it ; "the thrill of driving" ! FN2 drivers know that of course !

The MRS 250 I tried, with the Cup chassis, was top spec on a late 61 plate for £19,995 with 6.6k miles. Again good value for that particular car but huge depreciation - it was over £28k new apparently. Well as per my previous write up on the M250RS a couple of years ago - I still dont like the Megane - apols to those who have one !

I tried but failed to get a drive in the 265 trophy in Leics and Brum - they simply dont exist as a demo car - production line builds only now. The extra 15bhp of the Trophy only comes in when in sports mode anyway. So the 250 is almost identical in terms of how it drives compared to the 265 apparently, except they dont make the 250 anymore, only the 265. Turbo lag was present and annoyingly correct in the 250, but no where near as bad as the Scooby. Would def have the 250 over the WRX though but actually, the FN2 is still the nicer place to be. Yes the Cup chassis out performs the FN2's but with the right suspension mods on the FN2, its even. And yes for a modest £350, you can get a remap on either the old 250 or new 265 up to 300 bhp and 320 ish lbs/ft. Great. But I would still favour the linear power delivery of an SC FN2.

What I dont get is why Evo and others rate the 265 as the best hot hatch ? It must be fact. But I guess it comes down to personal choice and your own objective / subjective evaluation.

So its decision time for me re either Griff's car which is already done and is awesome, or a blank canvass 2 year old dealer vetted car (had all the diagnostics done, over rev DTC code checks etc.) and then mod it 'big bang' style at CPL. The latter would cost more but then its my build not someone else's and the car is 3 years newer.

As an aside, the local Honda dealer also said they had received an email from HUK on the back of a customer enquiry, saying that production of the 9th gen CTR is in question. Ford and Vauxhall are revising their sale forecasts downwards re the new Focus ST and Astra VXR apparently, which Honda are watching carefully. If the market isnt there then Honda wont invest in the new CTR. Another reason why I want an FN2 again. And if they make the 9th gen it will be circa £22 to 23k and only 220 ish bhp when for the same money, I can have a 2 yr old mint FN2 at 320bhp with all the right upgrades to make it a proper Q car on the road and a track weapon.

Tomorrow is decision day..........its quite exciting !

·
Premium Member
590 Posts
I'd personally go for the later car and mod yourself. Always nice to do it yourself that way you get the car you want not what someone else wanted.

·
Premium Member
2,157 Posts
I'd buy a 2010 car with every option.. Then start modding..

Or take a look around at other cars

I love the BMW 135i and the GT86 at the moment.

What about a 1M?

Sent from my iPhone.

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
I'd buy a 2010 car with every option.. Then start modding..

Or take a look around at other cars

I love the BMW 135i and the GT86 at the moment.

What about a 1M?

Sent from my iPhone.
If you want a track weapon, i would find a non gt as you'll end up wanting to shed weight and a/c will be the first to go along with the fogs.

I think for the money you'll be better off getting an fn2 as rotrex now do an s/c kit where you can keep your intake manifold.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

·
Premium Member
6,643 Posts
Get a stock FN2 spud and let CPL loose on it big style :-D

·
Premium Member
2,157 Posts
If you want a track weapon, i would find a non gt as you'll end up wanting to shed weight and a/c will be the first to go along with the fogs.

I think for the money you'll be better off getting an fn2 as rotrex now do an s/c kit where you can keep your intake manifold.

Depends I love my cruise control iPod nav and phone ;-)

I'd like the factory hids but too lazy to retro fit them properly so.. Won't lol.

But if your planning on stripping it go for a non gt

Sent from my iPhone.

·
Banned
2,328 Posts
Nice write up.. enjoyed it :)

There is something about the delivery of power in a type-r that makes it feel so raw and enjoyable!

I literallly don't think i'll be getting rid of mine for a long time :cool:

if i was you i'd get a SC'd FN2 ^_^

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
Thanks for the feedback guys.

I'm still pondering !

Looking at dealer car this week.
Stock and mod the **** out of it!

Either s/c or turbo the person to speak to is paul at tdi north, that guy has a plethora of advice and amazing parts to put on your civic. ;)

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
After the 8th gen CTR was cut short, the S2K was killed and Honda pulled out of F1, not really holding faith in Honda for a performance future.

They are ramping up UK production massively but when most people want super economy these days (for so many clear reasons), I am not sure.

Honda has been out of sinc for years with their new models, the 9th gen is just out, a new Golf is imminent, I find it really hard to keep faith in honda! (hard to overlook the quality problems, some of which are still unaddressed from the 8th gen into the 9th!).

·
Registered
13 Posts
I haven't posted on here for an age but this thread struck a cord.
I use my own FN2 as a company car as got a great 5 years free servicing deal and cheap finance. Used to have Subaru's etc but got too pricey.

Although my car is standard it just drives really well. Now 3 years old
I have looked to change but nothing takes my fancy. Although fuel economy
Is around 31mpg it would cost 000's to change to a nice diesel so I for one
Am sticking with my Type R.

Dealer rang me and asked if I wanted to change. My answer was
You have nothing in the range to replace it with!!
Even after 3 years and 37k it still drives box fresh.
It's a keeper.

Cheers.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts