2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So had a clunking noise in my passenger side strut for a few month now, car went to honda for a free health check and even they picked up on the noise, said it would be £90 to strip the strut and find the problem, anyway i decided to put new springs on tein along with new top mount and bearings and also changed the drop links, on the way home i still hear the clunk, what else could it be? I honestly thought all of that would cure the issue, also when turning right into a street i hear a binding noise? Like a drum on a washing machine been spun by hand but only when turning right? Started about 2 weeks ago, Any help would be appriciated thanks guys :(

·
Enjoying life
8,533 Posts
CV Joint? Wheel bearing?

·
Premium Member
1,643 Posts
As above if when turning it's likely a wheel bearing. Jack the car up in that side and check for any movement with a 12 o'clock/ 6 oclock grip and then 9/3

·
Registered
32 Posts
It's very unlikely but I would also check the Anti Roll Bar bushes as when I got mine they were so worn it was causing a clunking noise. May also be worth inspecting the caliper just to make sure that's all on tight.

Interestingly mine has started making a similar noise again so going to have to inspect Saturday! will post and let you know what I find!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Does it clunk all the time or is it just over pot holes, speed ramps etc?

Had similar problem but on ek4 civic, even the smallest road bumps/irregularities would cause clunking, it was there almost all d time but not too loud. Had mechanics in the car they could hear it but none could diagnose it. Every single bushing and joint was checked with crow bar, clunking went on for about 4-5 months and car had been at 3 different garages and one independent mechanic. It was driftworks where I found my answer all that time later when someone suggested arb bushings to a problem that seemed similar to mine. So I went to Honda the next day, ordered a pair of arb bushings for ek4 as they arent expensive if they dont fix anything no biggie, got them fitted went for test drive and no clunking. Silence after 4 months !!!! That was 3 hour test drive :) .

I have to mention that old ones didnt look worn out, had regular shape seemed in good condition actually, they were original honda bushing on it. I imported that car with 48k kms, it felt tight and held road very well, there was no sign of worn bushings.

Btw I am not suggesting you go buying random bushings like I did, just sharing my experience with clunking :) which might or might not be relevant to you.

·
Premium Member
1,829 Posts
as above with the anti roll bar bush
i had a clunk that i couldnt trace changes the drop links a couple of times and even a strut which did need changing anyway but noise was still there it was pritty bad clunk at times i found a set of genuine antiroll bar rubbers at good price that were on offer so changed them and noise went couldnt belive how much difference they made
also something to look at is the spring located right on the strut mounts

·
Administrator
18,010 Posts
ARB bushes are a good shout, as the bar curls very close to the chassis. So when fitting new ones, ensure the bar is perfectly central. Slightly off center can cause tappet, taps.

·
Premium Member
1,829 Posts
ARB bushes are a good shout, as the bar curls very close to the chassis. So when fitting new ones, ensure the bar is perfectly central. Slightly off center can cause tappet, taps.
i had this on my old accord in the end i had to slacken mounts drop the car to ground and slide under and nip the bolts with car grounded it stopped the bar rattleing against the subframe

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks very much guys for all the advice, looks like bushes will be the next thing, how much are these on average and should i change both sides?

Also another problem is the passanger seat adjustment bar which you press to move backwards and forwards came out, anyway when popping it back in its just coming back out i thinking something must of snapped somewere, iv looked on ebay and its over £100 for a seat rail slider, would replacing this be just a simple unbolt and bolt back on?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Also another problem is the passanger seat adjustment bar which you press to move backwards and forwards came out, anyway when popping it back in its just coming back out i thinking something must of snapped somewere, iv looked on ebay and its over £100 for a seat rail slider, would replacing this be just a simple unbolt and bolt back on?
Are you sure its not your seat adjustment bar that clunks in that case?? Maybe you should sort that out first before buying bushes. You could possibly have it welded depending where it broke off instead of buying a complete slider.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Are you sure its not your seat adjustment bar that clunks in that case?? Maybe you should sort that out first before buying bushes. You could possibly have it welded depending where it broke off instead of buying a complete slider.
No the noise is coming from the strut even honda confirmed this, all i can think now is either bushes or the shock itself.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts