2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Don't know if this is the correct forum to post this but mods please feel free to move it neccessary:oops:

I bought (Honda dealer 150 miles from where i live) my 06 plate 1.8 Sport at the end of May and when i collected it, just as i was driving away i realised that i had only been given 1 Key. I asked for the other key, was told that it had been mislaid and that a new key would be ordered and would be sent to me. :rolleyes:

The programming would be organised locally (FOC of course) so i wasn't concerned (annoyed but not concerned). After 3 phone calls the duplicate key arrived so i arranged with my local dealer to have the key programmed.

Turned up, couldn't be done, possible fault with the laptop thingy they use. Have to come back after machine sent to Honda for Recalibrating.[smilie=plainlook.g:

Got phone call, machine back, pop up , key still can't be programmed, apparently on the laptop, engine management is accessible with the new key but not the immobiliser.[smilie=smack.gif]

The dealer now thinks the immobiliser unit in my car may be faulty, got to go back this week and leave it for the day, but i am confused. Obviously the existing key works ok, so why should a new one not ?:confused:

My other concern is that the Technician (mechanic) said that they had to work out where the immobiliser unit was as they had never "done that on a Civic before"[smilie=dunceblock.:

So does anyone please know where it is so i can point them in the right direction:D

I thought i'd left all this behind when i sold the Audi[smilie=givingitthe:

Thanks

Dave

·
Registered
676 Posts
I thought i'd left all this behind when i sold the Audi[smilie=givingitthe:
[/quote]

hey it is not a "Honda fault" that someone lost the key!;)

I will check it in the manual for you where the immo is.
It can happen that it is not a smaller box like at older cars, it can be part of the MICU or some "boss-ecu".

·
Registered
676 Posts
so as promised:
it is right next to the ignition switch behind the cover ;)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi, many thanks for that i'll drop into the conversation where it is;)

To be honest i wonder if it's the new key that has a fault, will find out i guess later in the week.

Thanks again

Dave

·
Premium Member
767 Posts
so as promised:
it is right next to the ignition switch behind the cover ;)
Is that the immobiliser or just a transponder reader that feeds into the ECU?

Also, as the dealer doesn't appear to have done much with keys for new Civics, might it be their ability to program rather than the unit? It seems odd that one key is fine and the new one isn't that's all.

At least it's under warranty. I remember hearing about a Fiat owner loosing the master key for her car and being charged for a new ECU, ignition barrel and drivers door! - About £1500!

·
Premium Member
767 Posts
Does that box do circuit cuts? I would have thought that it just gives the ECU a go/no go code then lets the ECU stop the hot-wiring chav stealing your spaceship! If only electrocution was allowed in the UK... :D

·
Registered
676 Posts
hey we better stop talking about this topic on an open forum...:oops:
I don't want to give ideas, infos for the car thefts:mad::mad:

·
Premium Member
767 Posts
True ;)

However, I've had a quick look around and it appears to be a rolling-code transponder ECU based immobiliser. I can't think of a reliable way of bypassing one and (I'd like to think) I know what I'm doing with transponders.

Feel free to discuss security on the Golf and Focus! [smilie=cheeky-grin:

·
Registered
676 Posts
Feel free to discuss security on the Golf and Focus! [smilie=cheeky-grin:[/quote]

:D:D

yep, we can discuss it here becuase if thefts want to steal a golf they are not going to look for infos on a Civic forum![smilie=tongue.gif]:D:D

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hello,
I have almost the same problem, that after car had been stolen and found again, Honda dealer can't program the old key's. Do you know is it possible to change immobiliser to a used one?
Is it the same immobiliser on Accord and Civic?
Honda don't use a CAN connection I think.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Now I have a new steering lock and 2 keys, Immobiliser has been programmed and the car runs fine. No immobiliser change, lucky me:)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts