2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I unfortunately had to replace one of my tyres this week as I had managed to pickup a nail in a spot where it could not be patched. I ended up going to Addison Tyres in Tipton www.discounttyresuk.co.uk The did a really good job for me but obtaining the correct tyre is not a simple and straight forward as you would think. When they searched the Continental site for the correct code 2 tyres turn up with different codes, but no explanation as to what the difference is. After an email to Continental themselves it turns out that one is a standard tyre with very little rim protection and the other is the correct Honda specific fit with the extra wide rim protection. When you compare the two tyres they are completely different.

Jason (the manager at Addison Tyres) went to a great deal of trouble to track down the correct tyre for me and passed on the details from Continental. I have attached a copy of the email (redacting the contact at Continental as I'm sure he won't want loads of people emailing and phoning him).

So If you are looking to match up the existing tyres on your FK8 on the OEM rims the type specification and product code you need is:
245/30 ZR20 90 Y XL FR Sport Contact 6 (03579010000)

While I was there the manager warned me about 20" rims being susceptible to buckling with the amount of pot holes that we have, especially at the moment. But he sowed me the 'state of the art' straightening machine that they have there and combined with a refurbishment service that they use can fix most problems. Which, being local to me is good to know if the worst happens.

The service there was really good and they went the extra mile to get me sorted. The lads there were really good and took a lot of care over my car and pride in their work, they even cleaned all the fitting soap off the tyre, so it doesn't look a mess when you leave (unlike a lot of garages that I know).

So I thought I would pass on this info, just in case you need to replace your tyres and want to be sure that you are getting the correct ones.

Hope this helps...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,670 Posts
Good information there.....I have printed that letter and will keep it safe should the need arise. :)
Seems poor for Continental not to provide the details in the first place though.
Would you like to share how much one of these tyres cost? It certainly wont be cheap. :surprise:

Personally speaking I think the tyres fitted to the FK8 are overkill for road use.....they are too soft and will not offer good life/mileage.
I would be happy with a tyre that has ultimately a bit less grip but longer life.
I have heard good things about Michelin Pilot Sport 4 which is still ultra grippy but should last a bit longer than the Continentals. Although last time I looked they weren't available in FK8 fitment yet.

·
Premium Member
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Ron240,

I agree they are very soft and not the best for winter. I may think about getting a set of winter wheels with winter tyres on. The current tyres are not the best in the snow but apparently if you get some narrower 18" or 19" wheels on with winter tyres the FK8 is great in the snow as all the stability and traction wizardry can kick in and do its thing with some grip to work with. The trouble is they would only be used for 2 months, probably only really needing them for 4 or 5 days where it is really cold or snowy and then I would need to store them somewhere for the rest of the year so its probably not worth the touble.

As for the price of the tyres... You are looking at around £200 a corner plus fitting, etc. I have seen people review them at around 6000-9000 miles depending on how you drive before they need replacing.

·
Premium Member
1,670 Posts
Speaking of cold weather grip.....I had my first experience of driving in snow with my FK8 a couple of weeks ago and have to say it handles worse than any car I have ever owned.
I've had cars with virtually the same tyre width which were not as bad, so I put it down to the super soft compound.
As you say though for the number of days per year they would be of use in this country, I could not justify the cost of winter tyres.
6000-9000 miles would be truly terrible tyre life for the way I drive.
I have currently done 2200 miles from new since 1st September last year. I will check my front tread depth and let you know what it is. :)

·
Premium Member
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Its worth having a look at Flyingato's video which shows how well the the FK8 behaves in the snow if you have the right tyres on.

·
Premium Member
1,670 Posts
I've seen a few of his videos. I never watched that all the way through....was trying to hear if he had changed the standard tyres but couldn't find it.
I'm assuming he must have because like I said mine is terrible in the snow.
I have just been out to my garage to check my tread depths. The car has actually covered 2280 miles and my front tyres are on 5.5mm with the rears on 6.5mm.
I believe the SportContact6 tyres have around 7.5mm from new, so this means my fronts have worn 2mm.
Assuming the wear rate continues the same over the next 6 months(will probably increase slightly because it is summer), then when my car is 12 months old the fronts will be down to 3.5mm at around 4600 miles. If left for a further 6 months they would be illegal at around 6900 miles.
Knowing the way I drive this is ridiculously high tread wear. :surprise::surprise::surprise:
To give a bit of context on my driving style, my previous car a Focus ST with 235/35/19 Michelin Pilot Sport 3 had just under 4mm of front tread left at 13200 miles and 23 months old.

·
Premium Member
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
In one of his earlier videos he does go through what wheels he switched to, their specification and what tyres they are. All i can remember is that they are narrower. The big problem with 245/30's with such a light car is that they do sit on top of the snow once it gets compacted a little.

·
Premium Member
1,670 Posts
The big problem with 245/30's with such a light car is that they do sit on top of the snow once it gets compacted a little.
I am less concerned about grip in the snow now, but much more concerned about the wear rate. :surprise:
I thought the gentle style of my driving could overcome or at least limit this to a more reasonable level, but turns out I was wrong.
Short of not actually driving the car it seems like there is nothing I can do to stop these Continental tyres from wearing away at an incredible rate.
Approximately 1mm per 1000 miles. :frown2:

·
Premium Member
2,307 Posts
normal wear rate for the CSC6's. they're made of cream cheese.
these RT2's i'm running will easily last twice the conti's. 2.5yr/21k on my FK2 now; the CSC6's were finished around 6k.
take off 2 winters for winter tyre use, i'd guess around 7k summer on these RT2's now and they're only half worn.

going back to conti's letter; if the speed/load rating is in brackets, then the tyres exceed those figures? surely thats not right as the whole point of those ratings is 'up to'. if i understood it right, then they might as well put (50H) on them as that too can be exceeded.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Can’t be doing with him,try to watch his videos but usually turn off halfway. This time however soon as he started using a brush to get rid of snow that was me done!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
20,956 Posts
I remember years ago having exactly the same issue with my Lexus IS200, the tyres were a standard make and model but for the IS200 needed the model with stiffer tyrewalls.

·
Earth Dreams :)
927 Posts
Ron, I think you are racking up the miles much quicker than me - so will let you test the waters of which to replace with..
When I spoke about this with the Honda dealer, they said go for the 6's and not the 6S Conti's..
Think I may go the Mich route..

·
Premium Member
1,670 Posts
When you say "racking up the miles", I am still under 3000 miles at just over 8 months old. You must not actually drive your car if you are much less. :grin2:
I'm not aware of a SportContact 6S....have even looked on Continental website and it is not listed. :confused:
The OEM tyre on the FK8 is SportContact 6, but there is no way I will be fitting that again....will go Michelin or Good Year.

·
Premium Member
43 Posts
Hi! I don't know if it is ok to write here, but I have a concern related to the winter setup (OZ Superturismo with 235/40 R18 tires). The sellers confirmed I can use the original studs (22 size), the mechanic told me I need a different studs (like 19 size). Visually I could see that there is a difference between the studs hole size/shape comparing the original wheels and the OZ Superturismo 18" and I'm not sure whether the wheel will be properly fit and without damaging the wheel or studs. It looks like the studs needed for the OZ 18" are more conical. I'm still waiting for opinions for the studs to use. There's another small issue also. Since the wheels are not Honda made (they have the sticker with the recommended pressure), I don't know at what pressure to inflate the 18" tires. I didn't find the info in the manual. I know from the FN2 that there is a difference in pressure between 18" and 19" tires.
Thanks.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Reading this thread I am a little concerned about buying a Type R as my next car. I would prefer it to have 19" wheels rather than the 20" with slightly taller sidewalls. The roads in my part of the UK are full of potholes & speed humps.
The Tyrewear also sound horrendous. My current car a 2016 Focus RS is almost 3 years old with 26,000 miles & I am still on the original Michelin Tyres!

·
Premium Member
43 Posts
Go for the Type-R. Never mind the 20" wheels. The car is absolutely divine and I doubt that the roads in UK are worse than in Romania :).

·
Registered
13 Posts
So I ordered the right part No

As per title, thanks to this thread ordered 2 new tyres (9,800 miles BTW and worst reading was 2.8mm !!). I must drive it harder!

Anyway discussed the tyre issue with trusted fitter (Lepsons in Kent). They ordered the right ones... but the wrong ones were delivered (ie without rim protection / high speed rated version).

Lengthy calls to several of their distributors came to the conclusion that:

To get the right tyre is going to be pot luck - on the rack they look the same the coding is subtle :

245/30 ZR20 90Y XL FR Sport Contact 6 = rim protected.
245/30 ZR20 (90Y) XL FR Sport Contact 6 is the standard tyre without the built out sidewall, which must increase heating hence lower the speed rating.

The brackets are the bit the 'system' recognises and it was news to everyone there are two versions.

I decided to stick with the standard (there was no stock anywhere of the Honda fitment) on the basis they are cheaper and easier to get. Although doubtless the rim protected one could pitch up in error too at some point!

I have not kerbed a wheel in 15 years so fingers crossed... I won't. I guess a deep hole in the 'roads' of this great nation might be more of a threat but that would break the wheel too I'd think!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Tyre Confusion

Great thread

I'm unlucky enough to need a replacement tyre after 1500 miles, due to a screw right on the outer edge of the tyre.

Will need to stick with another CS6, but why is it so difficult to get the right one!

Having spoken to Honda (2 stealerships £300!!!), Continental, Camskill and just about every tyre fitter in the Hertfordshire area, this is what I know. May or may not be correct!

Honda specific tyre Continental 03579010000 is only available via Honda and is not supplied to anyone else (according to Continental)

Continental recommend 03589470000 as the equivalent replacement with rim protection

245/30 ZR20 90Y XL FR Sport Contact 6 - speeds up to 186 mph

245/30 ZR20 (90Y) XL FR Sport Contact 6 - speeds in excess of 186 mph

According to Camskill, both of these have rim protection and speed rating is the only difference. It's the one without brackets, as mentioned in this thread, which Continental & Honda recommend.

Camskill were one of the few places that could confirm the manufacturers part number of each tyre and they are about £200 including delivery, taking about 4 days.

I have ordered one locally and due to be fitted tomorrow. Will be checking before its fitted to confirm it is the right one, although I am running out of options.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts