2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey fellas, decided I hate the stock brakes on the FN2, downright scary if you're going fast and need to er, stop :p

I'm planning on a Euro trip this year with some friends in our cars and I'm afraid the stock brakes just aren't up to it, and worry i'll be left for dead, quite literally lol :rolleyes:

I was wondering if any of you fine people could point me in the direction of making them better? I'm on a budget so can't dish out £1k's on Mugen set ups but would like more bite and to help alleviate brake fade :worms:

Any help guys and girls? :popcorn:

·
Registered
997 Posts
There are two ways to go:
- new OMP gr.N discs + ferodo ds2500 pads + goodridge + motul rbf660.
- BBK: i have the K-sport 356mm 8 pot + ferodo ds2500 + goodridge brake lines + motul rbf660 and I am incredible happy. I had stoptech BBK but My actual setup is a lot better.

·
I vtec'ed your mum!
1,333 Posts
Hey fellas, decided I hate the stock brakes on the FN2, downright scary if you're going fast and need to er, stop :p

I'm planning on a Euro trip this year with some friends in our cars and I'm afraid the stock brakes just aren't up to it, and worry i'll be left for dead, quite literally lol :rolleyes:

I was wondering if any of you fine people could point me in the direction of making them better? I'm on a budget so can't dish out £1k's on Mugen set ups but would like more bite and to help alleviate brake fade :worms:

Any help guys and girls? :popcorn:
Dont go for bigger brakes... Its so not worth the money, we forget that these are FN2's, not *******g Ferrari F40's!

all you really need to do, is change the brake lines for HKS Braided, and that's really all you need. Admittedly, replacing the current brake fluid for something like Motul RBF600 will enhance the braking massively also.

·
Registered
997 Posts
Dont go for bigger brakes... Its so not worth the money, we forget that these are FN2's, not *******g Ferrari F40's!

all you really need to do, is change the brake lines for HKS Braided, and that's really all you need. Admittedly, replacing the current brake fluid for something like Motul RBF600 will enhance the braking massively also.
If you think that it might be because you don't go fast with your car or because you have never tried a BBK.

·
I vtec'ed your mum!
1,333 Posts
If you think that it might be because you don't go fast with your car or because you have never tried a BBK.
What? Thats utter rubbish! Getting bigger brakes (In my opinion) is excessive, for the amount of power that is actually delivered to the wheel!

A car with bigger brakes, with as much power as we have, is no better than uprated fluid and braided lines.

I understand why you would want bigger brakes, if you were driving at 200+ mph, or taking the car to track.

Road use, then NO! Bigger brakes, disks look awesome, agreed... thats all though.

·
Registered
997 Posts
There is a incredible big difference between using a BBK or just pads + liquid + brake lines. You will be very greatefull to have the BBK if you don't go fast just in motorways. ;)
Have you tried a BBK? which one? I can't believe that you don't feel the difference.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Cheers for the replies fellas.

I'm not gonna be tracking the FN2, AFAIK anyway. Just gonna be doing the usual sunday drive and that but also when we hit the certain roads that are quick i don't want to brake hard and enter a wall :rolleyes:

Fonejacker's response was what i was looking for, roughly how much are these options going to cost?

Thanks again everyone

·
I vtec'ed your mum!
1,333 Posts
There is a incredible big difference between using a BBK or just pads + liquid + brake lines. You will be very greatefull to have the BBK if you don't go fast just in motorways. ;)
Have you tried a BBK? which one? I can't believe that you don't feel the difference.
Your not listening,

YES... THERE WILL BE A MASSIVE DIFFERENCE, HOWEVER MONEY VS SUNDAY DRIVING IS NOT WORTH THE ££££

BRAKE LINES AND FLUID WILL SUFFICE

·
I vtec'ed your mum!
1,333 Posts
Cheers for the replies fellas.

I'm not gonna be tracking the FN2, AFAIK anyway. Just gonna be doing the usual sunday drive and that but also when we hit the certain roads that are quick i don't want to brake hard and enter a wall :rolleyes:

Fonejacker's response was what i was looking for, roughly how much are these options going to cost?

Thanks again everyone
Roughly £80 for HKS braided brake lines. Other brands are stoptech, HEL and goodridge, very easily fitted, and around £10-£12 for the fluid. give these guys a call...

Sumo Power: Engine Tuning, Modified & Performance Japanese Car Parts

ask for Caroline... ;)

·
Registered
997 Posts
Your not listening,

YES... THERE WILL BE A MASSIVE DIFFERENCE, HOWEVER MONEY VS SUNDAY DRIVING IS NOT WORTH THE ££££

BRAKE LINES AND FLUID WILL SUFFICE
So we are talking about different ways of using the car. Haven't you got fadding problems with your setup? It's too light for me.

PS: remmember to improve the pads! That's the most important thing ;)

·
I vtec'ed your mum!
1,333 Posts
So we are talking about different ways of using the car. Haven't you got fadding problems with your setup? It's too light for me.

PS: remmember to improve the pads! That's the most important thing ;)
Agreed, pads are worth the investment, however probably best to do once you've worn the current out.

sometimes have fading problems with my setup, although a great fluid, and better pads assists with this. Obviously a set of Brembo's will completely remove this, but for what I need my car for, and as previously stated, its not worth the effort and money.

·
R.I.P - (User sadly passed away)
9,228 Posts
Pads, hoses, fluid - as a minimum ...

When time comes to change the disks, then fit Grooved 'EBC' or similar (and new pads again, of course) - cheaper and better than Honda OEM parts ...

·
Strong in me The Force is
765 Posts
Agreed, pads are worth the investment, however probably best to do once you've worn the current out.

Sometimes have fading problems with my setup, although a great fluid, and better pads assists with this. Obviously a set of Brembo's will completely remove this, but for what I need my car for, and as previously stated, its not worth the effort and money.
Totally agree. For everyday use, even for the occasional "let the beast go" the brakes are more than sufficient.
- If you want more feel in the brakes, make sure the brake fluid is ok, and certainly bleed all the air out of the lines! That is the most important thing. Other/better fluid is hardly noticeable, but the effect of changing the brake fluid and properly bleeding the lines is!
- Second thing to do is change all flexible brake lines with braided steel ones. Well, if you do so, best change the fluid at the same time off course. :rolleyes:
- Which brake pads are best comes down to taste really. I like ferodo's, although I haven't tried them on the civic yet.

Off course changing your complete brakes will give even better results. At that the price I might hope so! But IMHO it's only worth the money for track racing. And even if I had a few 1000 to spend on my car I would probably not get different brakes. I'd rather get a different car... :p

·
Registered
120 Posts
Change the pads to Ferodo DS2500 and replace the fluid (racing fluid or DOT 5.1).
If the OEM discs are worn , replace them with better quality discs .
Change the fluid frequently , cheap but effective !

·
I vtec'ed your mum!
1,333 Posts
Totally agree. For everyday use, even for the occasional "let the beast go" the brakes are more than sufficient.
- If you want more feel in the brakes, make sure the brake fluid is ok, and certainly bleed all the air out of the lines! That is the most important thing. Other/better fluid is hardly noticeable, but the effect of changing the brake fluid and properly bleeding the lines is!
- Second thing to do is change all flexible brake lines with braided steel ones. Well, if you do so, best change the fluid at the same time off course. :rolleyes:
- Which brake pads are best comes down to taste really. I like ferodo's, although I haven't tried them on the civic yet.

Off course changing your complete brakes will give even better results. At that the price I might hope so! But IMHO it's only worth the money for track racing. And even if I had a few 1000 to spend on my car I would probably not get different brakes. I'd rather get a different car... :p
I could'nt say it better myself. PERFECT sum up! ;)

·
Race Taxi Pilot
1,558 Posts
Are there any performance upgrade brake lines available what don't look "aftermarket" (ie braided or with any logo etc printed on them) for the Civ?

1 - 20 of 76 Posts