2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Mugen wannabe
2,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I,m looking for some advice , basically I want a in car camera there has been some incidents of paint stripper and keying vandalism done and would like the security and the chance to catch them . Now I don't want to spend a fortune but I want a lot . 1 must be good quality 2 have a motion recorder 3 easy installation . 4 easy to relocate for different angles for different parking , many thanks

·
Premium Member
1,777 Posts
Whilst I cannot recommend a specific camera, I have a few comments.

Firstly, you are not really going to get the best shot from inside the car - something looking at the car is much better. But I guess it is better than nothing.

Secondly, night time picture quality will be poor unless the area is well lit, and even then you are unlikely to be able to get a decent shot of the person's face.

Another thing to consider, motion detection in a device is next to useless unless it is a camera that is constantly recording, and then saves a certain amount of time prior to the motion being detected. For example, check out the following video explaining this.

As It happens, one of the most recent cameras this guy reviewed may be what you are after as it does do the motion record well.

·
Mugen wannabe
2,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Whilst I cannot recommend a specific camera, I have a few comments.

Firstly, you are not really going to get the best shot from inside the car - something looking at the car is much better. But I guess it is better than nothing.

Secondly, night time picture quality will be poor unless the area is well lit, and even then you are unlikely to be able to get a decent shot of the person's face.

Another thing to consider, motion detection in a device is next to useless unless it is a camera that is constantly recording, and then saves a certain amount of time prior to the motion being detected. For example, check out the following video explaining this.

As It happens, one of the most recent cameras this guy reviewed may be what you are after as it does do the motion record well.

Just watched vid 1 and it said everything you said and head cam gave a good touch however the fact it can be moved gives it more parking angles but again keying the bonnet proved its not fool proof

·
Premium Member
1,777 Posts
Ah right, my mate went down thE CCTV route and gave up, so many crap products out there. Goodluck
But there are also a lot of good ones if you do your research and know what to look for.

All comes down to cost too, what you are willing to spend may not get you what you want, but what you want is probably available.

·
Premium Member
1,777 Posts
Just watched vid 1 and it said everything you said and head cam gave a good touch however the fact it can be moved gives it more parking angles but again keying the bonnet proved its not fool proof
I think the biggest issue illustrated in the video is the one of only recording during/after motion, which some cameras do solve such as in the second video. This does put a constant drain on the battery, but I don't think it's that bad. I believe when I tested my camera the load is only around 300mA max.

But as you mentioned, camera angle is another issue. Certainly one camera will not cover everything. Four cameras would be ideal, but not really that practical. Imagine what someone would think if they saw all the cameras, must be something valuable to steal inside.

One of my personal concerns is actually leaving a camera in the car. I have a dash camera, but I remove it every time I park, simply because there are idiots out there that won't think twice to smash your window and steal an £80 camera. It sucks to be "scared" like that, but that just seems to be how it is. Just like you shouldn't need a camera to watch over your car, you should be able to park it where you like and not worry about anything happening to it.

·
Premium Member
551 Posts
Hi Fartnugget, nice car by the way really does look cool;). I may be a bit late in offering suggestions but I have installed the following and so far I am well pleased with the quality and how easy it is to use. I can't provide any pictures of my install yet as I am still working on my car but I will post some updated pictures very soon. Hope this helps.:)

IROAD IONE-3300CH

·
Mugen wannabe
2,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi Fartnugget, nice car by the way really does look cool;). I may be a bit late in offering suggestions but I have installed the following and so far I am well pleased with the quality and how easy it is to use. I can't provide any pictures of my install yet as I am still working on my car but I will post some updated pictures very soon. Hope this helps.:)

IROAD IONE-3300CH
Many thanks ? and thanks for your offering it's not late at all and gives me another option to check it out ?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts