2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone got experience with any car cameras? I planning on making a video about my car (Type R in general) and would like some shots to go with it. If possible Arch mounted shots aswell.

So if anyone has any experience with these sort of camera let me know, also any sites would be helpful =)

·
R.I.P - (User sadly passed away)
9,228 Posts
Anyone got experience with any car cameras? I planning on making a video about my car (Type R in general) and would like some shots to go with it. If possible Arch mounted shots as well. So if anyone has any experience with these sort of camera let me know, also any sites would be helpful =)
You should probably get a "mini-Gorilla-Pod", whichcan be wedged into the top of the window, or under an edge of the bonnet ...

Gorilla Pods | IWOOT

·
aka Colin
10,853 Posts
not meaning to hijack your thread matey, but im after something that i can record video footage of track days, if anyone can recommend something.

·
R.I.P - (User sadly passed away)
9,228 Posts
not meaning to hijack your thread matey, but im after something that i can record video footage of track days, if anyone can recommend something.
Get a "Gel Pad" and sit it on top of the dash - mount the Video camera nicely nestled in it ...

Reactions: pigdog

·
Premium Member
1,735 Posts
Onweed I worked as on-board camera op on the WRC when the BBC covered it !! Oh Happy days
So my first question what type of camera are you going to use. (Video or Stills ?)

What sort of shoots do you want ?
POV (point of view)
You driving
Front low bumper shot

Here is one sit for mounts Camera Suction pads and Vacuum mounts

It should give you some ideas, you may find the same on eBay cheaper

·
Quit yo Jibba Jabba
177 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Onweed I worked as on-board camera op on the WRC when the BBC covered it !! Oh Happy days
So my first question what type of camera are you going to use. (Video or Stills ?)

What sort of shoots do you want ?
POV (point of view)
You driving
Front low bumper shot

Here is one sit for mounts Camera Suction pads and Vacuum mounts

It should give you some ideas, you may find the same on eBay cheaper
Should be video. I'm not really looking for a 200-300 quid HD thingy. Just something around the 100 mark (with decent quality) that will stick to the dash and also on the door just behind the front wheel arch. Im an ugly fu... so no need for it to capture me aswell :D

So anything really with good decent quality that will stick to the exterior and dash.

·
aka Colin
10,853 Posts
I have a Fat Gecko suction mount (the mini one) which arrived yesterday, very well made an seems to stick on to surfaces really well. Not had chance to try it yet but it might be suitable.

Fat Gecko Mini Mount
Fat Gecko Camera Mount - Extreme Suction Cup Mount - Delkin Devices

There are lots of videos on Youtube that use them:

YouTube - ???????????????????????????

If I get round to it I'll post some video soon...shame it didn't arrive in time for the lakes run :/
i just bought one of these, cant wait for it to come now, so i can try it out.

·
Premium Member
1,735 Posts
The Fat Gecko looks like a great mount, I am sure you would get great internal shots like the POV and driver shots, but when it comes to outside I am sure it will not handle a track day, or even a drive at speed.

When we mounted cameras, we always used a very small camera for the outside because if you using a single or a dual point mount, the camera needs to be something like a single chip Bullet Camera, this helps get a great shot because of the size and its stability. Theres no point have high def pictures if there is a lot of vibration from the car and the wind !!

Here is a bullet Mini Bullet Outdoor Waterproof Security CCTV Camera on eBay (end time 17-Jul-10 22:16:26 BST)
The nice thing is you can cable tie (and a bit of gaffer just to make sure) the camera to the front bumper for the very low fast shot. If you damage it, its not hugh amounts of money for a new one.
If you have a camera that has a input on it you can record to that very easily.

If you have a medium to large camera you need to have a three point mount. it works on the same principle as a tripod. I have had a Sony Z7 on a tripod with 3 suction mounts (1 per leg) and for extra precaution I used a ratchet strap with another suction cup on its own as a tie off for the camera. And had a long shot down the bonnet catch the drive and down the right side of the car.

Here is the way. http://www.cinemagadgets.com/images/027_5022.gif

Here is a example of how to mount the right way Filmtools - HOW TO Set Up Camera Car Mounts on Vimeo

Now when it comes to shooting lets say Top Gear they would use something like this
Creative Video Sony HXR-MC1P (HXRMC1P) HD Minicam with solid state AVCHD format recording system + FREE 8GB MEMORY STICK

My only tips are when apply the suction mount to the body work is, make sure the suction cup is free from damage, and clean both surfaces well.

If you decide to get the gecko I would buy both mounts and use the mini to help brace the larger camera mount to make that triangle of support.

·
Premium Member
1,013 Posts
I have a ContourHD 1080p, and its absolutely brilliant. As the name states it records 1080p full HD (they also have a 720p model). I got it specifically for making videos with my car and motorcycle, as its designed for that.
Its very robust and very easy to use. Only drawback is the wind noise if its outside the car, solved by a custom case though.
The suction cup is also incredibly strong, when used outside the car.

I highly recommend it for motorsport use, check out youtube for footage by the contour hd 1080p if interested

Info here: ContourHD - HD Helmet Cam and 1080p HD Helmet Camera by VholdR

Bought from here: Contour HD High Definition Wearable Camcorder

If anyone has any questions regarding the Contour camera ask me :)

·
Premium Member
1,013 Posts
Just a warning for anyone though, you will need a fast computer to watch raw 1080p footage, let alone edit it.

·
Premium Member
1,735 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,013 Posts
With this camera there is no way of seeing a life shot !
You have to line up with the lasers on a rotating lens.
I am sure with a bit of practice you will end up the shot you want.
True, but with the lasers you can pretty much see exactly where you will be recording, and after a bit of trial and error, you learn what are the best shooting angles

For anyone wondering the lens on the front of the camera rotates 90 degrees both ways (180 derees total), meaning you can have the camera fixed on the car sideways but still be shooting right way up.

·
Registered
20 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,735 Posts
I have recently got back from a trip around europe with a few mates and between my car and there 3 bikes we had 3 of these cameras
They had helmet mounts for them and I had one of these in my car
All in all great bits of kit IMO
Here is the outcome
YouTube- Euro Trip 2010
Nice job, great bit of editing there :thumbsup:
The only thing miss is some external shots from the car ! :(

·
Registered
20 Posts
I know what your saying, but the camera was not mine so I was not going to risk it falling off the car on the motorway,

I have just ordered the 1080 version (hopefully it will be with me next week)

·
Premium Member
1,735 Posts
@Herc

Which one have you gone for ?
Cant wait to see some video from that. :)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts