2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Went for a drive in the weekend. Found some roads with a less than smooth surface and this has sealed the deal for me... I need to do something about the CTR's suspension!!
Its just soooo bumpy and sends the car bouncing rather than holding on the road.

What are the options out there for suspensions that wont cost the earth??
Obviously there is the Mugen suspension kits, but way too pricey.
Are the Eibach springs the as good as I hear?
What is a good spring/shock absorber upgrade?

Thoughts?

·
Batmobiles Rule ✌
6,587 Posts
Have had the eibachs fitted (15mm) and whilst it reduces the crashiness (but not totally getting rid of it) the ride is still hard. I would be suprised if any aftermarket suspension setups would actually smooth out the ride quality much as they are normally geared for performance. Anyone who knows otherwise please feel free to correct me (as I am no expert and happily admit it).

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Also what wheels do you have?

Im on rages and yes the ride is bumpy..

A drop in wheel size with bigger tyres would be the most effective and cheapest option.
On aftermarket 18's now. Ride is still as crashy as OEM, just looks better :)

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Have had the eibachs fitted (15mm) and whilst it reduces the crashiness (but not totally getting rid of it) the ride is still hard. I would be suprised if any aftermarket suspension setups would actually smooth out the ride quality much as they are normally geared for performance. Anyone who knows otherwise please feel free to correct me (as I am no expert and happily admit it).
Yeah, I am not seeking a super spongey ride. I do like the firmness when hitting winding road with a reasonably smooth surface, thats when the CTR gives its best, but on less forgiving surfaces its a bit of a joke really.

·
Premium Member
6,729 Posts
I've got the 15mm Eibachs. Seem up to the job on British roads, as has been said, less crashy but not perfect.

I will be looking for some different shocks when they need replacing though.

From what I've heard the Mugen suspension is perfectly sprung and damped, however the cost is just too high for me.

·
Premium Member
6,729 Posts
Shocks are the same though....
On the Mugen? Same make or same damping?

Either way, the Mugen suspension is better damped than the standard, so if they are the same spec shocks the Mugen springs must be amazing. :lol:

I meant I'll be looking for shocks to match the Eibachs, as using the Mugen suspension as an example, it can be done better.

·
Premium Member
1,334 Posts
Same make, different spec.

The Mugen works far, far better than the stock suspension. Supple when it needs to be, and firm when it needs to be.

my only complaint is the nose diving under braking, but that is more to do with the weight distribution of a nose-heavy fwd car than anything else.

I would also say that both suspensions when driving slow are fairly rubbish at the rear - you seem to need to drive that bit faster for the suspension to work well. Sudden bumps at low speed are a bit of an achilles heel, but that has more to do with the fixed rear beam than anything else.

·
Premium Member
1,334 Posts
Having said all that, I'll be putting my mugen suspension up for sale soon, once I figure out what I'm doing to the Type-R. It is more than likely going to end up as a track/weekend blast car, stripped out and with 4-way dampers. Will be like new because my mileage is so low (1k miles so far on the mugens!)

·
Premium Member
6,729 Posts
Having said all that, I'll be putting my mugen suspension up for sale soon, once I figure out what I'm doing to the Type-R. It is more than likely going to end up as a track/weekend blast car, stripped out and with 4-way dampers. Will be like new because my mileage is so low (1k miles so far on the mugens!)
That didn't take long then!? Have you seen a new kit that is tickling your fancy?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts