2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think My speedo is inacurate. the car is standard apart from pipercross and crazy scoopin.

I'm getting the following speeds at top RPM in each gear:

1st - 40mph
2nd - 62mph
3rd - 82mph
4th - 112-119mph
5th & 6th- not sure

Any advice? How do i solve this issue.

·
#MrGrumpy
13,117 Posts
The best thing to do is get a GPS and check against that.
The speedo will over-read your speed by a small %age, which is by design.

·
My VTEC doesn't VTEC
1,110 Posts
+1 to what Sam said, measure it against a satnav/GPS

Not knowing the usuals in a TypeR but those figures do seem quite low as my 1.8 matches the 1st and 2nd figures and does 91mph in 3rd

·
aka Colin
10,853 Posts
i think it over reads by roughly 6-7% in my 1.8 from my crude calculation
Sounds about right. As above stick your sat nav in the car, pop onto the motorway and click on cruise control and see how far out it is.

·
Premium Member
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
These are the speeds when i hit the limiter at peak revs.

I had my satnav on yesterday and was getting 75mph on the satnav with 82mph on the speedo.

·
Registered
147 Posts

I had my satnav on yesterday and was getting 75mph on the satnav with 82mph on the speedo.
Wow! That's a huge difference.

Mine is only 2mph out. I have a 2011 2.2.

I know this because I use the M25 daily..it has an average speed section of 50... GPS reads 50 but only when speedo shows 52 :cool:

·
#MrGrumpy
13,117 Posts

That's 9%; which I wouldn't be that worried about at those speeds. Mine is not too different.

·
Premium Member
272 Posts
i have always gotten those sort of differences with gps speeds compared to speedo, on every car. those speeds at top revs look about right for ctr, maybe 1mph different than mine used to be before i remapped :)

·
無限 Unlimited
3,740 Posts
What you can do is buy the dash command app with a OBDII wifi dongle which reads the VSS at the true speed direct from the car, not the speedo, you'll be surprised at how fast you're actually going sometimes.

iirc when I'm doing 54mph on the dash it's actually 50mph, as you go faster the gap gets bigger.

·
Boost Time...
989 Posts
Plan to do mine again tomorrow now the charger is fitted, prior to that I was between 4-5 mph difference between the speedo and sat nav.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts