2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been wondering for a while now how some people can review a tyre and say the grip is for example excellent in the wet however another person says the tyre is a death trap

I have come up with a few possibilities myself:

1) different people have different expectations
2) roads are maybe different in different counties?!
3) some cars work better with certain brands
4) is it possible that tyres cab be damaged with age or heat!?
5) inconsistencies in quality

The reason i ask is that i have 4 kumho ecsta 37 tyres on my civic and in the wet i have never had so little grip in wet conditions in all my life.
Its impossible to hit vtec in 1st, 2nd and sometimes 3rd. I cant keep up with vans and trucks in the corners either.
The carcis actually dangerous however i have loads of tread left!

I have noticed some people even on civinfo have rated this tyre quite highly!

Any ideas?
Christian

·
Registered
356 Posts
I think youve answered your own question already.

I fitted Kumhos to my wifes car a few years ago, this was a vauxhall and was used as the family car and was driven as such. So on this basis i would have rated them as a good all round tyre, but i wouldnt dream of fitting them to my R.

Cant understand how people spend thousands buying a performance cars then fit cheap tyres.

Goodyear assy 2 everytime for me, which is one tyre i dont think i have ever heard a bad word about on here. Especial good in the wet.

·
On the sofa
255 Posts
Cant understand how people spend thousands buying a performance cars then fit cheap tyres.

Goodyear assy 2 everytime for me, which is one tyre i dont think i have ever heard a bad word about on here. Especial good in the wet.
Makes me chuckle that people don't hesitate to spend a few hundred quid on some shiny bits that make little or no difference yet won't pay for decent tyres.

Decent tyres are a must, I would always sacrifice a bit of tyre wear for grip, ride comfort and noise. With tyres you generally get what you pay for, plus some cars seem to work better with certain brands.

Goodyears get a thumb up from me

·
Registered
1,470 Posts

QUOTE]

Snap!, they are the only thing that keep you on the road and I am not convinced by non premium brands.

·
Premium Member
1,439 Posts
I have two Kumho fitted to the front axle the honda dealer put them on for some reason it's got the Bridgestones on the rear axle
I got my car in October and thought they where ok no spin out or anything but now they are spinning sliding on corners it's pritty scary really! I will be changing them very soon with more Bridgestones
Or Michelin pilot. why do people change from the brigestones fitted from factory?

·
Premium Member
1,039 Posts
I put Michelin ps3 on mine and they seem awesome in all weather. Good grip all round. But it did cost though but worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
On the sofa
255 Posts
why do people change from the brigestones fitted from factory?
Personally I don't like Bridgestone tyres, I've had them on a few different cars and always found a different brand that performs better for the same money or less.

In my experience Bridgestones have quite stiff sidewalls so whilst they are very grippy and handle well up to a point they are a bit on/off when they do run out of grip. I've never really trusted Bridgestones in the wet and found they slip and slide pretty easily. In comparison Goodyear F1's feel much more progressive which suits my driving style better, plus the performance in dry or wet conditions is virtually no different. They are quieter and improve the ride too.

I've also had good experiences with Michelin, Dunlop and Conti tyres. Just my 2p.

·
Premium Member
3,304 Posts
I thought long and hard about which tyres to put on mine. It was a toss between Syrons & Goodyears for me, in the end went for the latter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
639 Posts
My own view is that you really do need top of the range tyres if you drive any sort of performance car and if you like to drive "enthusiastically."

With my own motoring, different criteria apply. I have a 1.8, do a lowish annual mileage and, as I increase in decrepitude, I tend to drive more conservatively. I find mid range tyres suit me fine.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm not entirely convinced that there isn't something more to it?!

Some people on this forum quite rate these tyres yet my car understeers off the road and/or spins up with mild acceleration. I often get over taken by vans with it being dangerous for me to go any faster! And yes I *think* i can drive pretty well and the other halves car grips really well (with Nankang Ns2's installed)

http://www.civinfo.com/forum/wheels-tyres-suspension-brakes/76024-kumho-ku37-tyres-ctr.html

I will be purchasing some new tyres but I don't want to get caught out again purchasing a naff tyre

·
Tarmacadam Terror
5,666 Posts
Maybe due to tyre temps, my re050s are crap in the wet until they've warmed up a lot, below 8 degrees air temp the grip drops off markedly, zero air temp they ride like they're made of concrete and don't grip well, always improve as the drive goes on though.

I think next year I'm investing in winters , not so much for their snow performance, more their ability to perform in low temp situations.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

·
ex CW FN2 owner
595 Posts
I have found these reviews a good starting point tyrereviews then I shopped around to find out the best prices available, its amazing how many varients there are even on the same make. My old man build tyres at Pirelli for 30 odd years and the technology behind them is pretty interesting. At the end of the day they have huge effect on your car especial if your driving something that can create such forces through corning etc. We all drive differently so I guess your bound to find levels of inconstancy on how tyres perform, it amazes me how many people brake mid corner!!

Your tyres could be the difference of ending up in ditch and staying on the road.

I often get home jump out the car and you can smell the rubber so you know they have been working hard ;)

Currently still have the Bridgestone Potenza I have been happy with them but think I will be putting on Pirelli PZero Rosso this month as the discount I can get on them is crazy (Thanks Dad :D)

·
ex CW FN2 owner
595 Posts
I think next year I'm investing in winters , not so much for their snow performance, more their ability to perform in low temp situations.
I have been thinking the same thing and guess it just helps increases the life of your summer tyres.

·
Premium Member
2,124 Posts
One reason for inconsistent reviews is that whatever you put on, a new tyre with plenty of tread will more likely feel much better than one near the end of its life - hence why people say thanks like "Wow - just fitted XXX and it's amazing". The only truly objective way of assessing a tyre's performance would be to drive the same car with the same suspension components back to back with different tyres fitted (all fresh) round the same course. Of course, that takes a lot of organisation, time and money. Also, having just splashed out on new rubber, many people would be reluctant to admit they made a mistake so might tend to just look for positives. At this point I will admit that having purchased a set of Bridgestone S001s, I realised they were truly awful for the FD2 so took them off and sold them :)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts