2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Odd one maybe.
I replaced the relay a couple of months back, OK so I used the cheap original OEM spec but its' only been on for five minutes.

Anywho, when it was ruddy boiling yesterday (31 degrees) the air con would only work intermittently for the first half of my journey, 10 minutes of cold air then 10 minutes of ambient air, made no odds how I adjusted the controls. :frown2:

For the last hour of the drive it worked like a charm though, not super cold but chilly enough.

So, failing relay, compressor, clutch or low pressure in the system. Where to start do you reckon?

·
Administrator
17,936 Posts
When was it last gassed?

Do you use the AC regularly? - to prevent seals braking down and the system lubed.

A reliable relay wouldn't be a bad call, it could prevent an expensive compressor repair.

If you car has done lots of miles, with the AC mostly on then the clutch might be showing its age.

When the AC worked well, were you tickling the car around town or on the highway?

·
Ex-Pat Geordie!
2,228 Posts
If you had cold air initially you've still got refrigerant in there and if you've changed the relay it ain't that as I had the same issues so you're looking at the compressor or the clutch....

·
Premium Member
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
When was it last gassed?

Do you use the AC regularly? - to prevent seals braking down and the system lubed.

A reliable relay wouldn't be a bad call, it could prevent an expensive compressor repair.

If you car has done lots of miles, with the AC mostly on then the clutch might be showing its age.

When the AC worked well, were you tickling the car around town or on the highway?
1, used regularly, although as the original relay failed over winter it could have gone a couple or 3 months of not working without noticing.

2, only 110k

3, it was playing up when @ m-way speeds, it was working later on the m-way and on fast country A/B roads

·
Ex-Pat Geordie!
2,228 Posts
1, used regularly, although as the original relay failed over winter it could have gone a couple or 3 months of not working without noticing.

2, only 110k

3, it was playing up when @ m-way speeds, it was working later on the m-way and on fast country A/B roads
If you think it may be the relay again, PM me with your address and I'll chuck one in the post as I've a couple lying about I'll never use...

·
Premium Member
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If you think it may be the relay again, PM me with your address and I'll chuck one in the post as I've a couple lying about I'll never use...
Many thanks for the offer, but I should have at least one kicking around in the garage somewhere

·
Registered
82 Posts
Id be interested if you manage to sort this.

Mine is doing the same - 10 mins of cool air, then warm air. Pretty annoying in this warm weather.

I can hear the system 'clicking' on so presume the system doesn't need to be charged and the relay is OK.

·
Premium Member
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Id be interested if you manage to sort this.

Mine is doing the same - 10 mins of cool air, then warm air. Pretty annoying in this warm weather.

I can hear the system 'clicking' on so presume the system doesn't need to be charged and the relay is OK.
You may have to wait a while as it was working perfectly today, and I'm no chucking money chasing an intermittent fault.

·
Premium Member
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Little bugger played up again today.
Reasonable cold air for 40 mins then nothing but warm air :frown2:
Checked when I got home, clutch was not engaging at all no matter how much I swore at it, let the engine cool down for 4 hours and it's back to working fine and dandy.

So something is breaking down due to heat soak I reckon.:nerd:
Not discounted the new relay yet, will order up the newer design and give that a whirl hopefully before summer ends.

·
Premium Member
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Bugger, I'd forgotten about this until the last couple of days of warm weather, but it's still playing silly sausage's.
Sometime hot sometimes cold but mostly not

1 - 14 of 14 Posts