2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi,

I've recently had new tyres fitted and rotated the 'old' tyres (Primacy 3) onto the front axle with the new tyres (Pilot Sport 4) going onto the rear axle.

I've been experiencing a rumbling and slight vibration from the front axle since. A full alignment check has been performed.

I've had a close look at the tyres and whilst I can't see a direction indicator on the sidewalls it looks to me like I have two tyres designed for either nearside or offside, not one of each. Could this explain the rumbling and vibration? I didn't notice any issue when they were on the rear axle.

Pictures (taken from in front of the car):

Nearside front:

The kerb would be to the right of the tyre.

Offside front:

The white line would be to the left of the tyre.

The water grooves tick up towards the outside of the tyre in the first image and down towards the outside of the tyre in the second image.

Thank you!

·
Registered
155 Posts
Hi, the primacy tyres have an inside and outside, they are not directional. So long as they are mounted correctly on the wheel, outside to the outside of the wheel they can be put on any side of the car. Have a look to see if a balance weight has fell off, this will cause a vibration on the front but you won't feel it on the rear. Might be worth putting the new tyres on the front as this is where you need the grip.

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Oh well that's my theory out of the window then ha!

They were rebalanced when they were swapped but I'll take another look. The vibration is minor it's the rumble that's odd; I can't hear it rolling along in first gear but after about 15mph it starts and seems to get faster as the car does.

Thank you.

·
Registered
876 Posts
The tyres will now be running on the road in a completely different position on the tread now. having swapped rear to front.

If you look at your second picture the tread on the right, each block alternates black/white. This is the unevenness in the tread and if you run your hand over it you will be able to feel it.

Either put them back on the rear or replace will be the only way to eliminate the vibration.

·
Premium Member
173 Posts
New tyres on the rear and old (less tread) on the front is generally accepted to be best practice for FWD vehicles if you are only replacing 2 of 4

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I guess the next question is will this cause any issues? I can probably get used to the rumbling but if it's going to cause damage to driveline or suspension components I'll have to get it looked at. It's not bad but I can hear it and feel it slightly I think.

I've always opted to put the new tyres on the rear otherwise the tyres on the rear need replacing before they're worn due to age but every time it seems to cause more problems than it solves.

How can part of the tyre now not be touching the road when it was (presumably!) before? Unless a slightly different camber up front is causing the issue. I'm guessing a non round tyre with uneven tread is a problem...

·
Super Moderator
1,664 Posts
I guess the next question is will this cause any issues? I can probably get used to the rumbling but if it's going to cause damage to driveline or suspension components I'll have to get it looked at. It's not bad but I can hear it and feel it slightly I think. Unless its causing a vibration that you can feel through the steering it should be okay.

I've always opted to put the new tyres on the rear otherwise the tyres on the rear need replacing before they're worn due to age but every time it seems to cause more problems than it solves. Yes put new tyres on the rear and swap worn ones to the front. That way you should wear out 1 rear to 2 sets of fronts.

How can part of the tyre now not be touching the road when it was (presumably!) before? Unless a slightly different camber up front is causing the issue. I'm guessing a non round tyre with uneven tread is a problem...Maybe camber issue with the rear end. If the tyre was out of round I would expect vibration as well as noise.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Have you check the tyre pressure? ATS Euromaster fitted a full set of ps4 to my fn2 this week and all 4 tyres had different pressures and the car was almost Undrivable. Worth checking

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Okay I may learn to live with it if it won't do any damage. I'll check the tyre pressures too although I was told they were 30psi all around. Irritatingly I need to get the alignment looked at again as the steering wheel is down to the left by an inch or two when going in a straight line, although maybe it's easier just to learn to live with it as long as the alignment is okay which it should be.

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ooh another thing I noticed was that the tyres seemed comparatively warm even after a relatively short and slow journey; could this point to anything?

·
Super Moderator
1,664 Posts
How hot do the wheels feel?
Can you touch the caliper without burning your fingers?
If red hot and no are the answers suspect a seized/seizing caliper

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The tyres were only warm; I didn't think to check the caliper or discs unfortunately. I didn't notice a difference side to side but they were warmer than the rear tyres which were cool to the touch, although I know that's to be expected.

·
Super Moderator
1,664 Posts
The front tyres will get warm, there's a sh*t load of heat coming out through the wheel arch from the engine.

·
Super Moderator
1,664 Posts
Looking at the pictures again I would say there is 3-4 mm left on them so they won't be round for long on the front anyway.

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ah fair enough, I thought it might point to something (or hoped it might!).

I'd need a garage to be able to swap the wheels around unless I faff about with the jack supplied with the car. They've done around 30k on the rear axle so you're probably right that they won't be around for too much longer.

·
Super Moderator
1,664 Posts
Invest in a trolley jack & torque wrench and you can swap them over yourself using the car's jack.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Okay I may learn to live with it if it won't do any damage. I'll check the tyre pressures too although I was told they were 30psi all around. Irritatingly I need to get the alignment looked at again as the steering wheel is down to the left by an inch or two when going in a straight line, although maybe it's easier just to learn to live with it as long as the alignment is okay which it should be.
I wouldn’t go off what you are told. I’d double check just to rule it out

·
Super Moderator
1,664 Posts
Missed the bit about the steering wheel being down on the left - yes, get that checked out, sounds like poor alignment

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'm going to get it checked, albeit I expect the alignment is actually okay but the position of the steering rack relative to the steering wheel is what's amiss. If that makes any sense?!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts