2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I start with apology incase this has been raised elsewhere but i have spent ages looking and can't find anything on a type r,

Has anyone had or seen an induction kit for the new Type R?!?! If so and have it fitted any comments on the improvement??

Many Thanks :)

·
You're or your..........
2,782 Posts
There are kits out there but the general feeling is nothing that is working well with the FN2 , more likely to LOSE power at the moment.
Things are still in the development stage.
It took nearly two years before decent mods were being released for the EP3

www.injen-europe.com
have a look at the link, might be worth doing more research on .....

also TDI north have a list of mods for the FN2 here
TDi North

could get in contact with them?

:p

·
Administrator
24,216 Posts

·
You're or your..........
2,782 Posts
yes, i have been keeping a watchful eye on the "other" forum and people who "seem" to know what they are on about are not too sure about the current kits available.
its hard because most manufacturers and suppliers are going to say you will see gains, (maybe with the bonnet up on a dyno) but in real life its not that easy to drive with the bonnet up :p
i guess its a matter of waiting for the right kit, like the Gruppe M for the EP3

·
Premium Member
1,656 Posts
K+N do a 57i kit for it, ive got it on mine

·
Premium Member
1,656 Posts
am i happy?

As for whether its the viper kit, uve lost me, not one of k+n's products is called that, to be honest the 57i kit is very basic, and thats the reason why k+n installed it for me. Mine was the car they took the engine blueprint off to make the typhoon and 57i kit for the car, and after 4 months of waiting they fitted the typhoon kit for me and that was fantastic, sounded great and literally the whole street would turn to see what car it was, any way, after about a week, it started flagging up the engine malfunction light, so upon my return to k+n, it was found the petrol running into the engine was too lean and thus unsafe to continue running the car on the system. this was due to the kit being developed in sweden and they believed the aluminium tube was the wrong inlet diameter. Now i have the 57i kit, as a kind of apology, it still gave me 9bhp, which is a hell of a lot, and 17lbs of torque, it sounds great, but just not the booming sound that used to resonate deep within the aluminium tubing of the typhoon kit.
hope that helps

·
Banned
118 Posts
totally happy

i fitted the aem kit and a lot of people moaned about it,but i find it great,when it went on a rolling road with just the aem on it came out at 208bhp,against another fn2 which had the pipercross filterand a milltek exhaust which came out at 204bhp.
i have the ocasional flat spot but not a lot.

·
Premium Member
7,762 Posts
As for whether its the viper kit, uve lost me, not one of k+n's products is called that, to be honest the 57i kit is very basic, and thats the reason why k+n installed it for me. Mine was the car they took the engine blueprint off to make the typhoon and 57i kit for the car,
my fault sorry!

viper / typhoon - it's an easy mistake to get them confused! :D
(okay, I'm going senile :oops:)

typhoon was indeed what I was actually trying to ask about, but your post has cleared it all up very nicely, cheers :)

·
Premium Member
1,656 Posts
i speak to k+n alot

Hi, also, i didnt mention, the development manager at k+n in warrington is family to me, so he often hears from me asking when the typhoon will be back out again, as it ended up causing problems, k&n in england sent back the design to sweden, and sent messages to ask whether the type r and S they fitted the kit to there had the same problems as my civic, they will eventually re-make the kit, and i will go for it straight away when its out and faultless, but for now 57i kit is great, also.... at 5700rpm, it had a higher peak than the typhoon kit, and petrol wise runs at a better mix level between rich and lean on the k&n's chart (than the typhoon). If you want performance, oddly the 57i kit is better for the type R and S, but if you want phenomenal sound, wait for the typhoon!

·
Premium Member
329 Posts
What 57i kit have you got cos according to k&n website only do filter panel and US fitting typhoon kit?? And will your 57i fit a Type S?

·
Premium Member
1,656 Posts
the proper 57i kit, not a panel filter, perhaps its not gone on the market yet, but i have had mine since, december, and had the typhoon since november-december 2007... try calling them, websites arent always reliable for products. and yes, when my R was getting the kit, a type S was there also

·
Premium Member
7,762 Posts
Various posts split out of this thread and moved to the recycle bin.

For the sake of clarity, anyone reading this please note that we have not had confirmation exactly which engine / engine bay the 57i kit fits.

·
Naughty but nice
4,134 Posts
This is the reply from ABP in relation to the kit on 14 March 2008 on this thread http://www.civinfo.com/forum/engines-transmission/109-induction-kit.html

According to K&N Filters, they have their Apollo closed intake system in
development for the CIVIC TYPE R FN2! No delivery date at the moment im
sorry, but i will keep you informed.
We already established during the night that the person who has posted has a Type S not the Type R (and sorry but when I find where the post were moved too you will see that the 'Father' is quoting that he doesn't have a Civic), but WorriorPete has already made enquirys about the kit now, but the kit when avalible will fit a Type S.

In relation to this we were also advised that after all these posts the kit wasn't fitted after all as it caused an Engine Management failure (how you could miss that detail out I'll never know) so if you are interested in the K&N kit then I would suggest getting in contact with APB and the guys there will help you out :)

·
Registered
225 Posts
Does the AEM V2 that currently fits the S2000 AP1 work in Civic type R fn2??????? Or pipe diameter/form is different???????

·
Registered
610 Posts
I have the AEM V2 on mine and it works pretty well. Saw gains on the dyno as you would expect from a quality piece of kit.
Slight flatspot at about 2500rpm only when full throttle but this is mainly due to lag between MAF and throttle input due to fly by wire. Part throttle its fine.

Will be getting the HKS closed airbox in a few weeks though as open cones in summer only make noise unless burried under the arches.

·
Banned
118 Posts
took my aem off over the weekend to see how the standard airbox worked with the hondata ecu,all i can say is that the aem will not be going back on,there is now no flat spots at all and the car reacts much quicker when you slam your foot down.
car now feels frisky like my old ep3....sad point is the noise has gone which was damn good.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts