2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I'm currently looking into buying a family 4x4 that is car like to drive on the road but also has an element of off road ability.

I've been researching cars such as the Ford Kuga and VW Tiguan but taking everything into account, including the superb interior space, the best of the bunch looks like the CR-V.

The only problem I have is that official off road statistics seem extremely difficult to find.

Through much searching around I've been able to determine the angles of approach and departure are 28 and 23, and that the ground clearance is 185mm, but I can't find anything regarding the wading/fording depth.

Considering the CR-V isn't designed as a hard-core off roader I've seen several videos on the internet that show quite impressive ability - well certainly more than I would ever want to do!

Although I have no plans to take the car off roading or wading through streams it would just be interesting to know as a comparison, especially as other car manufactures make the information readily available to customers.

Therefore, does anyone know what the official wading/fording depth for the new CR-V is?
Failing that, does anyone know how high the air intake is and how susceptible to taking in water it is?

Thanks for any input in advance.

·
Premium Member
418 Posts
My manual says it should not be driven thru deep water, but does not specify how deep, which is not that helpful!

·
Lord of JAE.....
5,395 Posts
Generally the rule in GL in unmodded vehicles is no higher than the wheels on landys, etc. (on mine, the alloys are 18 inches but come out 24inches overall from my memory, so that is the advised wading depth), however I'm a bit of a worrier (24 inches is about the most I've so far gone through, and it was only maybe 6-8feet in width). I'm not sure, but does the CR-V have raised breathers on the suspension etc. to cope with decent fording?? As far as I know the disco unmodded will do up and over it's windscreen if required...... but it is not advisable.... ;)So I'm guessing perhaps deep wate can be taken to mean no higher than the wheels?

However the disco approach angle is 50 and departure without raising the rear 53 degrees....... if this is helpful it may give you some info on whether or not it'll cope with what you need. I'm sure you're not planning on crossing Moegattle (this btw is a hairdressers car attempting this :D lol hehehehehehe sorry LRO joke :D):

I just had a look on you tube at CR-V's off road and TBH they'll cope well it seems with most ploughed fields etc. you'll come across in most situations, they won't cross mountains but do you really need them to :D

This seems to show they'll do tracks etc. ok, however tbh I'd be `wary of trying that in something that low.... as the sump, diffs if fitted etc. will be very vulnerable to rocks... and the water here:

The car looks to be about half the wheels height, maybe the top at the very extreme, (the wave makes it look higher I think) but it still performs admirably :D

If your looking for really decent off road but don't want to compromise on fuel economy (My disco II for instance does about 20ish mpg around town and 30mpg on the motorway and a tank is around £100-£110 to fill for maybe 400/500 miles [2.5 TD5]) then have you considered a 1.8 petrol freelander, proper 4wd pedigree, all the comfort and reasonable mpg..... :D The CR-V was impressive as a road car when I looked but I'm not sure how much off roading they'd stand up to, especially with the low profile quiet road tyres they had when I looked :)D although a set of steels should be hard to find with some M+S's on them :D which would improve it off road inredibly :D ).

I'm not knocking the CR-V as a road car (no dout it's good) but it's off road ability will always be limited by ride height, location of air vents etc. and the tyres you fit it with. Tbh the youtube video of "off road" (the muddy track), I took my Type S on routes very similar to that to get to shoots (6 inches of mud etc and as long as you maintain momentum and don't over egg the throttle it performed admirably on ploughed fields etc...) and it only got grounded coming out on a concrete ramp, lol :D

It gets great reviews as a road car, and a lot of people seem to have good things to say about it off road, perhaps try looking at the GLASS (Main Green laning Association :D) website and seeing if anyone there uses a CR-V or has trialled one, they will be in more of a position to answer your q's :D :D

ATB,
Tom

·
Registered
827 Posts
Hi

I'm currently looking into buying a family 4x4 that is car like to drive on the road but also has an element of off road ability.

I've been researching cars such as the Ford Kuga and VW Tiguan but taking everything into account, including the superb interior space, the best of the bunch looks like the CR-V.

To be honest, if you are really looking into some real offroad ability, I would look at any of those 3 but consider the LR Freelander or maybe Suzuki Vitara.

·
Nice Guy!
2,360 Posts
Nissan X-Trail, VW Tiguan escape,

·
Lord of JAE.....
5,395 Posts
Nissan X-Trail, VW Tiguan escape,
Are both awful off roaders :p lol sorry my new religion requires this is the response........ :D

·
Lord of JAE.....
5,395 Posts
To be honest, if you are really looking into some real offroad ability, I would look at any of those 3 but consider the LR Freelander or maybe Suzuki Vitara.
1.8 freelander will do the best of any of them....... you can pick them up for the cost of a second hand civ :D

Tom

·
Premium Member
418 Posts
If you want something with genuine off-road capabilities then get a Landrover.

If you only want to get something for driving round the odd field or thru a shallow ford then get a soft-roader like a CRV!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all of your responses!

Basically, I'm not after a hard-core 4x4, the CR-V would be perfect family transport and I'm sure more capable than I'll ever need it to be - I just wondered out of interest if anyone knew the wading depth of the car as other manufacturers have this printed in the brochure or handbook.

I guess it's a little bit like wanting to know the top speed of your car even if you never intend of taking it that fast.

Does anyone who's got one with a diesel engine know if the air intake is high as I believe that this can be a clue as to how deep it can wade water.

·
Premium Member
700 Posts
What you need is a brand new Lada Niva :p

I seem to remember a test not long ago where the CRV was one of the best all rounder of the soft roaders. Though If your going for a diesel dont forget about the clutch.

As said the LD Freelander is probably better off road but not sure about reliability

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Lada Niva!! :) ..... do they actually still make those?

What do you mean about the clutch on the diesel??

Quite like the Freelander, including the fact that the brochure gives you all the information on the cars capabilities, but it just doesn't seem quite as good a family car as the CR-V.

·
Lord of JAE.....
5,395 Posts
Lada Niva!! :) ..... do they actually still make those?

What do you mean about the clutch on the diesel??

Quite like the Freelander, including the fact that the brochure gives you all the information on the cars capabilities, but it just doesn't seem quite as good a family car as the CR-V.
You'd be surprised and my disco seats 7 people, as does I think the freelanders (model dependant...). So plenty of room ,you can pick up some vehicles with ridiculously good specs too :D

·
Registered
167 Posts
You'd be surprised and my disco seats 7 people, as does I think the freelanders (model dependant...). So plenty of room ,you can pick up some vehicles with ridiculously good specs too :D
Freelanders are all 5 seaters, the boot/practicality is not as good as a CR-V or the on-road handling and its slower too.

They are even going to do a 2 wheel drive version, this will need a CR-V to tow it up a bit of mud!
Land Rover Freelander video review 90 sec verdict - Autocar.co.uk

Clutch aside (many people have run them for years on our company fleet and non have had issues with clutches) the CR-V will knock a Freelander into next week reliability wise. I wouldn't bother myself.

·
Lord of JAE.....
5,395 Posts
Freelanders are all 5 seaters, the boot/practicality is not as good as a CR-V or the on-road handling and its slower too.

They are even going to do a 2 wheel drive version, this will need a CR-V to tow it up a bit of mud!
Land Rover Freelander video review 90 sec verdict - Autocar.co.uk

Clutch aside (many people have run them for years on our company fleet and non have had issues with clutches) the CR-V will knock a Freelander into next week reliability wise. I wouldn't bother myself.
Fair enough it's only 5 seats same as 90% of the family cars out there that arn't people carriers, the model depends on the speed, and TBH the freelander 2WD is I'm sure a practical joke thats got out of hand either that or they're going down the series I, II, III route, which had 2wd and 4wd selections.... :D Which tbh is a better idea... :D

Tom

·
Registered
167 Posts
Fair enough it's only 5 seats same as 90% of the family cars out there that arn't people carriers, the model depends on the speed, and TBH the freelander 2WD is I'm sure a practical joke thats got out of hand either that or they're going down the series I, II, III route, which had 2wd and 4wd selections.... :D Which tbh is a better idea... :D

Tom
Hi Tom, To be honest its a bit of a desperate measure,:banned: a lot of employers won't allow employees to have a company car over 160g/CO2/KM emission level now due to eco-policies. All the Land Rover range in effect were totally excluded from the company car choice lists! Only way they could get the Freelander under with their current engines was to lop off the rear drive completely - could end up a bit of joke next snow season. By the way 2 wheel drive is only a new version, normal 4 wheel drive models still will be available.

I think maybe a stop gap until the new RR Evoke is available, very pricey though :Wow:

Car choice largely depends on who is paying for it too, 85% of Audi's are bought (in the UK) by companies while 85% of Hyundai's are bought by people with their own money. I would own an LR product for sure, but only on the companies money/risk. If buying with your money Honda reliability makes a big difference.

·
Lord of JAE.....
5,395 Posts
Hi Tom, To be honest its a bit of a desperate measure,:banned: a lot of employers won't allow employees to have a company car over 160g/CO2/KM emission level now due to eco-policies. All the Land Rover range in effect were totally excluded from the company car choice lists! Only way they could get the Freelander under with their current engines was to lop off the rear drive completely - could end up a bit of joke next snow season. By the way 2 wheel drive is only a new version, normal 4 wheel drive models still will be available.

I think maybe a stop gap until the new RR Evoke is available, very pricey though :Wow:

Car choice largely depends on who is paying for it too, 85% of Audi's are bought (in the UK) by companies while 85% of Hyundai's are bought by people with their own money. I would own an LR product for sure, but only on the companies money/risk. If buying with your money Honda reliability makes a big difference.
Deffo :D The Evoque is an even bigger joke that the RRS or 2wd, (the RRS is a hairdresser car.... like the cayenne and TT.... ;) ).

The old Series modelshad variable drive and I don't know why land rover have never followed Volvos AWD system that uses traction to decide whether or not 4WD is required... makes far more sense... :D

I have never had company cars so I chose a car for my hobbies mainly, fishing and shooting which require their fair share of off roading, in the civic it was fun but hard, in the landy it's just fun :D

Eco measures are a big fat joke..... being that a prius produces more C02 in it's production than a RR v8 will in it's entire lifetime.... and a Defender V8 gives you 9mpg, but they have lasted maybe 40 years some of them, I doubt a prius will last that long, just another pathetic thing about our government :(

Tom :D

·
Registered
34 Posts
[
Therefore, does anyone know what the official wading/fording depth for the new CR-V is?
My CR-V is a 2003, they're much the same. Round where I live, we often get quite bad flooding on the roads into town. Last time it flooded I was able to wade in water up past the door bottoms without fuss.

Water intake? Its well sorted on the CR-V and unless you go barrelling into 2ft deep water flat out, it won't take a drink.

General offroadability? With M&S tyres, pretty reasonable. It's no Landrover or Freelander, but it is surprisingly competent.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts