2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently bought a civic mk8 2007. Didn't notice the ( i ) dashboard light until i'd driven away. Its on basically all the time.

I googled it and saw the light means 'system message' and suggested i open the menu with the (i) steering wheel button.

When i press the (i) button it just goes to a the menu to scroll through. When i exit the menu when driving i get the cars mileage and economy, no warnings that i can see.

Anyone know what to look for here? (thanks in advance!)

images;

·
Super Moderator
4,137 Posts
try it with the engine running & without

·
Administrator
MY22 Jazz EX Hybrid
22,064 Posts
...... and looking at those red icons, seat belt on/off

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Same light on both with and without engine running.
The other red lights turn off when I belt up/start the car.

Perhaps I need a odb2.. anyone have any experience with the pc usb type? Is the software easy to get?

Cheers

·
Super Moderator
4,137 Posts
if you look at the manual page 123 you will see that the message that goes with the warning triangle can be turned off.
why anyone would want to do this is beyond me but the instructions are there so you can check if this is the case.

let us know how you get on and what message it shows.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
if you look at the manual page 123 you will see that the message that goes with the warning triangle can be turned off.
why anyone would want to do this is beyond me but the instructions are there so you can check if this is the case.

let us know how you get on and what message it shows.
Interesting. I don't have the original manual but googling it gives what you're talking about:
Honda Civic Owner's Manual (Page 123 of 511) | ManualsLib
I've tried this set to ON but don't see anything related on any subsequent screens, just total miles, eco rpms etc. Weird.

On this site, they call the (i) light "system message indicator" and they imply it should just appear in the information menu..
Honda Dashboard Warning Light Symbols – (drivingtesttips.biz)

I'm taking it for new tyres tomorrow at ATS. Will see if they know what it could be..

Cheers.

·
Registered
467 Posts
When you press the i button, it should tell you the fault in amber - oil can for low oil, VSA for ABS fault, petrol pump for low fuel level etc.

·
Super Moderator
4,137 Posts
Interesting. I don't have the original manual but googling it gives what you're talking about:
Honda Civic Owner's Manual (Page 123 of 511) | ManualsLib
I've tried this set to ON but don't see anything related on any subsequent screens, just total miles, eco rpms etc. Weird.

On this site, they call the (i) light "system message indicator" and they imply it should just appear in the information menu..
Honda Dashboard Warning Light Symbols – (drivingtesttips.biz)

I'm taking it for new tyres tomorrow at ATS. Will see if they know what it could be..

Cheers.
here's a pdf copy for you

Attachments

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi guys,

At an impasse with this ATS didn't have a ODB2 device on site when i visited today. I've stuck a video to me opening the Info Menu with the (i) light showing in the background. The warning message option is definitely switched on in the change settings menu (have tried on and off). I'm planning on driving to Wales on Saturday and have only had this 3 days so nervous that it might be something bad :rolleyes:
civic dash i light
Any thoughts / suggestions welcome. Anyone else experienced this and just putting up with it?

Thanks as ever!

·
Super Moderator
4,137 Posts
Find another garage, ring up first and tell them your issue and find out if their reader is there.
Hate to say it but do you have a Halfords service centre near you?
Can't believe ATS didn't have one, that's ridiculous but then they are basically parts & tyre fitters like Kwikcrap.

·
Registered
Milano Red Fn2
505 Posts
Had a look at other posts regarding this for you, a lot of them say that older mk8s like ours get this warning light when the battery is old and not holding as much charge as it should. Did you buy from a dealer? If it’s been stood on the forecourt for a while this could be the case, I’d still be getting the codes read though. Hope this helps 👍🏻

·
Administrator
MY22 Jazz EX Hybrid
22,064 Posts
If you can do so safely, empty supermarket car park maybe , drive a short distance with your seat belt off. That should trigger a warning, see if that displays anything.

Reactions: Duncaroo

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If you can do so safely, empty supermarket car park maybe , drive a short distance with your seat belt off. That should trigger a warning, see if that displays anything.
This is interesting. The red seat belt light certainly works, but are you referring to a secondary warning on the central display?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Had a look at other posts regarding this for you, a lot of them say that older mk8s like ours get this warning light when the battery is old and not holding as much charge as it should. Did you buy from a dealer? If it’s been stood on the forecourt for a while this could be the case, I’d still be getting the codes read though. Hope this helps 👍🏻
This actually sounds likely. I was cleaning out 15 years of sticky finger prints earlier in the week, had the radio on for about an hour. I then thought i'd start the engine to give the battery a trickle charge but it was already too dead for the starter motor to turn, ended up bump starting (surprisingly easy in a mk8!).
Battery fine to turn the engine over now - but certainly not in its prime.
Do you have a link i can take a look to review symptoms pls?
Cheers!

·
Registered
Milano Red Fn2
505 Posts
Here’s one of them I found, it’s a possibility it could be the battery but I’d deffo get it plugged into a code reader if taking a long trip 👍🏻Are you getting anything on the main display when you start the car?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Here’s one of them I found, it’s a possibility it could be the battery but I’d deffo get it plugged into a code reader if taking a long trip 👍🏻Are you getting anything on the main display when you start the car?
Nothing on the main display on car start, no. I've just done Amazon prime on a universal odb2 tool. If there is nothing conclusive from that, I'll take it to (yet another) service centre since ATS didn't have their tool to hand..

Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Nothing on the main display on car start, no. I've just done Amazon prime on a universal odb2 tool. If there is nothing conclusive from that, I'll take it to (yet another) service centre since ATS didn't have their tool to hand..

Thanks for your help!
Looks good! No fault codes.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts