2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All, so I've just purchased my first civic and i'm keen to understand some information on the infotainment system. Its a 2016 model. I believe just built prior to the latest model.

The dealer told me that it has no Android Auto or Sat Nav. I assume this to be correct. It does however have an android based system that will be updated to the latest version for when I pick it up. (assuming it requires an update)

So in my ideal world I would like to have the following available.

Waze
Spotify.

I've seen some info on playing around with the unit (i work in IT so i'm happy to poke around) and seen some people have had sucess doing so.

What I wanted to know was how do I know if my head unit can be 'modded' and is there anything I can do to achive my goals out of the box?

I see lots of different terminology - Honda connect, mirror link etc but I was interested in how I could potentially achieve my aim!

Thanks for reading!

·
Registered
19 Posts
I’ve put Waze and Spotify on mine. Had to do a factory reset then install mikes hack. Fairly easy. Gimme a shout if you get stuck

·
Registered
93 Posts
system that will be updated to the latest version for when I pick it up
is there anything I can do to achieve my goals out of the box?
From what I've read in other threads, your best course of action would be to NOT update the system to the latest version, in a hope that the car has a low-enough version which allows for 3rd party applications to be installed without a need to do factory resets, downgrading versions, etc.

·
Registered
19 Posts
From what I've read in other threads, your best course of action would be to NOT update the system to the latest version, in a hope that the car has a low-enough version which allows for 3rd party applications to be installed without a need to do factory resets, downgrading versions, etc.
Well when I bought mine at the weekend I thought I’d use the satnav to navigate home with. Total disaster that was as the garmin satnav is a total waste of time lol so first thing I did when I got home was to update everything hoping the satnav would get better. Downloaded the latest maps n everything but nooooooo lol
I would assume that most people would do the same as what I did and end up having to factory reset

·
Registered
87 Posts
I suggest you read the guide to installing 3rd party apps in the 'This is how to ' section written by Haltamer. There is lots of info on putting Sygic on for sat nav. The main thing I would say is as stated earlier is not to do a factory reset if you have had the RC8 update to your unit or else you will lose the back door ability to add apps to the unit.

Charles

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks all, had a look at the info and got stuck on the 'install' being greyed out. I gather this could be an issue with the headunit version. How do i determine which version I have?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Hi. If you look in the menu settings about there is a long code such as 10.096.00.1123. If the code starts with a 10 it's version RC8. If it's 9 or lower then you have RC7 or earlier version. If so then you can do the factory reset and as long as you've followed the instructions it should be ok.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok, so R8 which i guess means trouble right? I've seen some mirrorlink wifi boxes on eBay, is it worth me going down that route instead? Or can R8 be used somehow?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Hi. I don't know anything about Mirrorlink WiFi boxes. Just wondered about the greyed out button. Were you trying to load Mike's Permissions entitled HondaAppCenter_A1.APK or something else. If the former and you had a greyed out button then it looks as if factory reset has been done after loading the RC8 update. If the latter then you need to load the permissions first and ensure you have done the other instructions.

If it has been reset then all is not lost but you will need to root the unit and downgrade back to RC7. All explained on various threads both on here by Haltamer and on the XDA Developers website. Not something that I could do though.It's all a bit beyond me! Luckily I got mine sorted before the dealer updated to RC8 and fortunately he didn't do the factory reset after the update. He must have seen all the apps on and left well alone.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes i think it was the permissions app, the first one on cmdroid. Tried a direct download as well and install failed. I might have a go at a down grade although it may be worth trying one of these boxes first for 25 quid

·
Registered
87 Posts
That's a shame. May be worth trying the box for the music. I wanted the navi on on the screen from an app rather than Mirrorlink because there are fewer issues such the screen freezing at crucial points on the journey.

Anyway all the best and good luck.
Charles

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
ok, good news i think i managed to get mirrorlink working. had to clear the cache (which is a bit odd since i've never used it before) and downloaded the floatingapps app. Then Sygic and violla i have a sat nav. Going to test fully in the morning but it looks promising. Its £12 for a license and I'm happy to pay that for a working system.

·
Registered
87 Posts
For Mirrorlink you need a compatible phone. Have you had a look at the Mirrorlink website? It has a whole lot of info and phone list. I use a Samsung S7.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Oh that's good. I find Sygic ok and if you add the Lifetime Traffic to the licence even better. Just remember though that you need to have your phone in a position to receive a good gps signal as you are relying on that rather than the head unit. It's a real pain when you lose it at a crucial moment and you haven't a clue where you're going.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yep my phone is compatible, it's all working. Got sygic running and rockscout with spotify. Just need to work out how to access my playlists

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Oh that's good. I find Sygic ok and if you add the Lifetime Traffic to the licence even better. Just remember though that you need to have your phone in a position to receive a good gps signal as you are relying on that rather than the head unit. It's a real pain when you lose it at a crucial moment and you haven't a clue where you're going.
I'm plannnig on keeping the phone in the center console. I may keep that phone in there as i'm upgrading this week and not sure the replacement will be compatible. It seemed to be ok when i tested it on my trip to work.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts