2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Lord of JAE.....
5,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys and gals,​

Looked recently at the new Merc which has nightvision as an accessory.................. well just seen an infra-red (night time) camera, sold as a parking camera...... http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Car-Rear-View-Night-Mode-Reversing-IR-CMOS-Camera-PAL_W0QQitemZ220247527063QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item220247527063&_trkparms=72%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C65%3A12&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14 ....... http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/New-Cmos-IR-Car-Rear-View-NIGHT-VISION-Camera-Mirror-04_W0QQitemZ330245907528QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item330245907528&_trkparms=72:12|39:1|65:12&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14 ....... well anyone think it could be fed forwards to the front bumper to come on when your headlights come on and function as an accessory on my sat-nav screen???? A sort of cheap version of the Merc's night vision????​

Tom (who envisions being the next James Bond......now who has an Aston Martin badge that'll fit a Civic??)​

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
I don't think that will be suitable. Whereas the picture obtained is more than adequate for reversing/parking, it will be nowhere near good enough to give nightvision. Fitted to the front of the car it would be suitable as a parking aid.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Don't forget that routing a video input to the satnav screen means you have to fool the satnav in believing you are in reverse, thus leading to inconsistance between the GPS info (car is going forward) and the odo (car is going backward) ...

·
Registered
158 Posts
Also, I think the camera in the Merc is a pretty high quality one with a very good FPS capture, whereas most reversing ones are not so good....at speed, in the dark it would not look great!

·
Registered
122 Posts
Theorically, we should be able to gain access to VGA input for the stanav screen (thus enabling high quality and no confusion for the satnav).
I'm no kamikaze to try this hack but I'm pretty sure 5 wires + shield on the diagram is a VGA link (R,G,B,SyncH+V,Signal Ground and shield).
After that we'd need a VGA switch box plus HQ camera with VGA out or converter (and spend an arm and a leg)
Anyone wants to try [smilie=tongue.gif]

Attachments

·
Lord of JAE.....
5,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks.....Hmmmm so it is a possibility though as I like nature watching occassionally and to see rabbits etc. in the dark without the headlights on would be a bonus :)

Also could it not just be run through like a DVD would as an accessory????

Not thinking of driving at speed with just the camera, but handy for seeing things outside the normal field of vision.........

Tom

·
Registered
94 Posts
Eye, Eye!

Unknown by whom?

Speaking of night vision - Ken Dodd recalls that the inventor of 'Cats Eyes' got the idea when a live cat got caught in his headlights. He also added that if the cat had been facing the other way, he would have invented the pencil sharpener instead.

Cheers,

Eddie.

Thanks.....Hmmmm so it is a possibility though as I like nature watching occassionally and to see rabbits etc. in the dark without the headlights on would be a bonus :)

Not thinking of driving at speed with just the camera, but handy for seeing things outside the normal field of vision.........

Tom

·
Lord of JAE.....
5,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The old ones are the best, or so Wayne Rooney told me ;-)

Tom

·
Registered
158 Posts

Tom
If you want to watch wildlife etc without lights on you will also need a decent powered IR illuminator as just capturing the ambient light on anything but the latest Night Vision gear is not great after a few yards, however an IR Illumiator acts like a torch in the IR spectrum...I have a set of Night Vision goggles and tbh without the IR illumiator they are not THAT useful.

·
Lord of JAE.....
5,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So possibly using the IR boosters used for CCTV camera's???? These could be housed behind the lower grill :)

Tom

·
Registered
158 Posts
So possibly using the IR boosters used for CCTV camera's???? These could be housed behind the lower grill :)

Tom
Yes anything similar to that would be fine....I have a friend that does a little protection work "overseas" and he has 2 vehicles with IR lamps on them for driving around without lights (NOTE: This is not in the UK)

He has a Land Rover Defender with rooftop IR Spots and a Merc with them built into the front fogs.

·
Lord of JAE.....
5,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I thought of mounting them like 'neons' below the numberplate. So I coul turn them on and off at will, yet they can be easily removed come sale time (although this could increase the value of my car in todays lawless society (iagine "Drive without being seen, whilst still seeing!") :lol: ).

Tom

·
BJJ IS NOT JUST FOR XMAS
4,720 Posts
I had nite vision for poaching deer, great stuff.

·
Lord of JAE.....
5,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
BJJ IS NOT JUST FOR XMAS
4,720 Posts
30/6 , or 22Magnum

·
Lord of JAE.....
5,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hmmm, not tried .22 magnum, closest I've had is the .38 special long or the .44 magnum, but they were both for carbines.

Tom

·
BJJ IS NOT JUST FOR XMAS
4,720 Posts
Before Dunblane i had a Glock 45 Barretta 92f ss 44mag (dirty Harry) 38 snub nose. Now i have a 7mm magnum 30/6 2 12 guage 5 shot pumps all @ my uncles in the USA .Iam off to the US for the 3rd Monday in Nov for opening day for Deer season

·
Lord of JAE.....
5,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ahah, I just shoot with the guys wearing black nasty occasionally :) I love shooting on the 1000yard mark over iron's best feeling in the world to VB on a clear morning :).

BTW you'll look so fetching in the orange jacket........ ;-)

Tom

·
BJJ IS NOT JUST FOR XMAS
4,720 Posts
It Orange or some woodchuck will shoot movement in the woods

·
Lord of JAE.....
5,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I know, because men look so much like deer?!?!?!?!?! Jesus, help these people ;-) :)

Tom

1 - 20 of 20 Posts