2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Premium Member
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A shuffle of cars in the family has meant that I've inherited a 2008 Civic 1.8 EX 5-door. So here I am and hello. I will doubtless come to rely on the knowledge here to help me sort out the niggles that have come along with a 7 year old car. And other things.

Thanks for having me.

·
Administrator
18,009 Posts
Welcome to :civinfo:

The 8th gen Civic is typically a reliable beast but there are a few things you should be aware of. Review the Wiki and 8th gen sections for more info.

Meanwhile, enjoy your starship.

·
Redline Monster
1,575 Posts
Hello mate & welcome to Civinfo - You should be trouble free with the 1.8

·
Premium Member
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the welcome everybody.

I'm loving my new car, all the toys are great. But mostly the fuel economy, which has just properly astonished me!

But over the last week I have built up a pretty long snagging list of things I need to attend to to get the car shipshape. In no particular order:

- The aircon doesn't work. No idea why.

- The wheels are a shambles and need refurbing. If I do this I might have them changed to another colour (if I went for black I would win massive dad points from my son, who spends all his time painting the wheels of his cars black on Forza). Any suggestions for a decent place to do this in north Essex (around Chelmsford?)

- The plastic end of the handbrake lever has broken.

- Although it's a 2008 car, it's a MY07 so no USB or iPod in connection. Need to sort that.

- Several parking dents and creases on the doors. My more obvious now I've given the car a good clean and wash and polish unfortunately.

- The latch on the inside of the rear hatch wobbles slightly in place, which means that the rear hatch itself rattles over bumps. Doubtless I can fix this if I can figure out how to get the trim off the inside and get to it.

- The tracking is way out. Steering wheel is at 11 o'clock when driving straight.

- Headlamp lenses are all milky and scuffed. I've tried a quick polish, which improved things but not enough.

- There is a scratch on the perspex screen of the dash right across the rev counter in the driver's eyeline. A quick polish has helped a little but not enough.

- A couple of stone chips on the bonnet / front wing have started rusting.

- The driver's side windscreen wiper makes a loud CLICK! when it reaches the top of its sweep. It is intrusively loud and a right nuisance. It looks like it just jumps the last few mm of travel and that makes the noise - so possibly a wipe over with vinegar will smooth it up, but I haven't tried that yet. Coincidentally, it's exactly the same problem I had on another Honda I owned years ago - a DC2 Integra Type R (which was loud enough anyway, even without a big crack! from the wipers every two seconds!

- Battery is starting to fade in the key, and I've resorted to the spare. Hopefully a simple battery swap without any subsequent funny business.

So there's plenty to get on with, but none of it spoils the car. It's all just stuff that would be nice if it was sorted. Except maybe the aircon because the thing's like an oven already!

Any thoughts or suggestions or links to wiki's or old threads would be massively appreciated ofc.

Thanks!!

·
Administrator
18,009 Posts
That'll keep you busy for a while :p

Yup, browse the Wiki or 8th Gen, How To sections for guidance. If you are struggling to find info then do a quick Google Search and include 'civinfo' in the string ;-)

Good luck.

·
Premium Member
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That'll keep you busy for a while
Definitely! Although it's a neat trick to find any spare time to do anything any more. Hopefully if I trawl through all the threads and wikis then I can save time because everyone else has already used their time figuring things out for me.

·
Premium Member
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Oh, and another quick thing: like I said, I'm utterly astonished by my fuel consumption figures off the trip computer. Is there a thread / several threads discussing fuel figures?

(I've tried searching but haven't found the right keywords yet, so haven't found anything)

·
Administrator
18,009 Posts

·
Administrator
18,009 Posts
On the mpg thread I saw that you were having trouble uploading pic's. Using a browser, check the Civinfo Help tab for guidance ;)

Are you using Tapatalk? Some versions can cause issues...

1 - 20 of 46 Posts