2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally! It works! :perfect10:

Today I have carried out a trial on the 5th version of their intake kit after testing all previous ones and finding issues that meant we were not happy in supplying or fitting them.

This kit however was very straightforward to fit with good instructions supplied, meant no cutting or bending bits of your car and most importantly showed good results.

The kit was fitted to a totally standard car that the only modification is the Flashpro which I had previously tuned.

We fitted the kit and I tuned to it and it made significant gains in the midrange and at the top end.
I must add that it was pretty bad and had several flatspots low down before tuning so would only say fit this kit if you have a flashpro and can tune to it.

Anyway. The results:

Standard car dyno tuned = 216.6bhp/156.6ft.lb
Same car with Injen intake dyno tuned = 223.7bhp/ 158.3ft.lb

Dyno sheet attached.
View attachment FN2 Injen trial.pdf

Am happy to fit and sell these...but you do need a flashpro.;)

·
Premium Member
6,644 Posts
Finally! It works! :perfect10:

Today I have carried out a trial on the 5th version of their intake kit after testing all previous ones and finding issues that meant we were not happy in supplying or fitting them.

This kit however was very straightforward to fit with good instructions supplied, meant no cutting or bending bits of your car and most importantly showed good results.

The kit was fitted to a totally standard car that the only modification is the Flashpro which I had previously tuned.

We fitted the kit and I tuned to it and it made significant gains in the midrange and at the top end.
I must add that it was pretty bad and had several flatspots low down before tuning so would only say fit this kit if you have a flashpro and can tune to it.

Anyway. The results:

Standard car dyno tuned = 216.6bhp/156.6ft.lb
Same car with Injen intake dyno tuned = 223.7bhp/ 158.3ft.lb

Dyno sheet attached.
View attachment 47013

Am happy to fit and sell these...but you do need a flashpro.;)
What performs better in your opinion HKS RSK or this?

·
Registered
997 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
The injen is still sucking in hot air off the back of the radiator so no getting around that. We removed the horn from that side and when moving there was a more direct air feed path (This car had the GP splitter pack) and you could quickly see the IAT's drop.

I would say that this kit combined with the Mugen scoop to get a direct feed when tuned would be very effective.

I would have no hessitation to recomend this kit now, but and its a very big but I wouldnt want to fit it on a car without mapping it as the hessitations upto 2000rpm were very very bad. I had to add 12% more fuel right across the rev range to compensate for the MAF then it was reall nice.

For me its still Mugen and HKS on a stock ECU but when mapped I would also add the Injen to that list now.

Which is best out of the 2, Tough call but looking at the kits the HKS has a bigger diameter straighter feed which could help.

·
Premium Member
6,644 Posts
The injen is still sucking in hot air off the back of the radiator so no getting around that. We removed the horn from that side and when moving there was a more direct air feed path (This car had the GP splitter pack) and you could quickly see the IAT's drop.

I would say that this kit combined with the Mugen scoop to get a direct feed when tuned would be very effective.

I would have no hessitation to recomend this kit now, but and its a very big but I wouldnt want to fit it on a car without mapping it as the hessitations upto 2000rpm were very very bad. I had to add 12% more fuel right across the rev range to compensate for the MAF then it was reall nice.

For me its still Mugen and HKS on a stock ECU but when mapped I would also add the Injen to that list now.

Which is best out of the 2, Tough call but looking at the kits the HKS has a bigger diameter straighter feed which could help.
Got any pictures of the injen?

·
Premium Member
2,124 Posts
Good on you Paul - so refreshing to see an evidence based approach - ie a tuner actually testing products and then recommending only those mods that are proven to produce results. I was gonna add the 'appliance of science' strapline but I know you don't tune washing machines... [smilie=gt_grinz-br:

·
Premium Member
4,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
any pics on the injen cai to see the differences from the one we all know?
I didnt take any pictures of it assembled. Sorry.

Fitment is perfect this time though and rather than the angled "crushed" metal pipe they supply a profiled larger silicon hose.
I took some pictures of that as the ends are pretty much as they used to be.
One interesting feature is that they have welded a small baffle tube inside the pipe that has the MAF sensor in so it sits to the side of it.
I wasn't getting the massive swings in trim I was with the previous kit so it was a simple change in MAF values and all was good.

·
Premium Member
1,930 Posts
I had to add 12% more fuel right across the rev range
Correct me if i'm wrong but that means you would use 12% more fuel right? In that case the HKS is still my number 1.

With fuel prices nowadays cant afford to be using 12% more fuel... I already avg 20mpg -.-

·
Premium Member
4,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
No not quite. It's to do with fuel trim on the MAF sensor.
The car runs in a pretty complex closed loop system and I tell it what AFR I want it to be. It measures airflow an adjusts according to a trim table.
The injen disturbs the airflow so much it doesn't think it needs so much fuel to reach target but in reality it needs more.

It was a correction factor of 12% I used to reach correct afr rather than adding 12% overall ;)

Tuning geeks will understand. :lol:

·
Premium Member
1,930 Posts
No not quite. It's to do with fuel trim on the MAF sensor.
The car runs in a pretty complex closed loop system and I tell it what AFR I want it to be. It measures airflow an adjusts according to a trim table.
The injen disturbs the airflow so much it doesn't think it needs so much fuel to reach target but in reality it needs more.

It was a correction factor of 12% I used to reach correct afr rather than adding 12% overall ;)

Tuning geeks will understand. :lol:
Confused.com

I really need to get up to you guys again but due to really bad financial grounds I'm afraid I cant for the time being. Really looking to break the 240 mark maybe even 250 :D

1 - 20 of 34 Posts