2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Henkepenk
1,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I was just about to get my CTR's 2nd service bocked in (9300 km, 2010). But they quoted me around £500 !!!! And thats without the air filter.

What do you think about this? He mentioned something with valves I think, making it expensive?

·
...............Daedalus
3,687 Posts
Seems very expensive IMO.

Valve clearances don't need to be done on the second service I don't think either?

Shouldn't you be on your 3rd service though if the car is a 10 plate?

Edit: Just checked the servicing schedule in the wiki. Valve clearance is done every 5 years or 100k km. That's on the 1.8 but would imagine CTR is the same?

Sent from my Sony Xperia S using Tapatalk 2

·
Henkepenk
1,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thought so to, must be different from countries. Called another shop recently and they quoted me £490 :/ he said it was due to "valve adjustments"

·
Premium Member
1,696 Posts
Seems very expensive IMO.

Valve clearances don't need to be done on the second service I don't think either?

Shouldn't you be on your 3rd service though if the car is a 10 plate?

Edit: Just checked the servicing schedule in the wiki. Cave clearance is done every 5 years or 100k km. That's on the 1.8 but would imagine CTR is the same?

Sent from my Sony Xperia S using Tapatalk 2
No mate pretty sure valve clearances on the k20 are every 2 years ish, definitely not 5 years! Had my car 5 years now any they have been checked ( and adjusted because they were quite a bit out) twice in the 5 years

·
Henkepenk
1,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Every 2 year, ouch, expensive car!

And yes it should be but they didnt sell the car untill a year later. They had 3 DSB's as show cars, almost didnt get my hands on one of them :D

·
Premium Member
1,677 Posts
In the service book it states valve clearances to be checked every 25k so depends on your annual mileage. Mine is 3 years old in a few weeks but is at 19k at the moment so wont require doing until next year.

·
Henkepenk
1,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
In the service book it states valve clearances to be checked every 25k so depends on your annual mileage. Mine is 3 years old in a few weeks but is at 19k at the moment so wont require doing until next year.
Okey, both pf my shops said every 2 year. I might ask them again tomorrow but it must be done anyways. My car is soon 3 years aswell with 9300 km (6,000 miles?) on the clock

·
Premium Member
1,677 Posts
Have a look in your service book, mine doesn't say anything about a bi-yearly requirement just that is done every 25k miles.

·
Henkepenk
1,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Will take a look tomorrow before I leave the car

·
aka Paul
4,524 Posts
Personally I'd do the valves by mileage not age. They don't wear with age :)

·
Henkepenk
1,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Personally I'd do the valves by mileage not age. They don't wear with age :)
Yeah it sounds right, but I was thinkig that if my local Honda dealer says it´s time for valve clearance now and I decline, don´t you think my warranty will be voided since I didnt service the car as they suggested? EVEN if the service book state something else :cool:

·
aka Paul
4,524 Posts
It's a tricky one. I know some dealers only do them when they sound loud or when asked. Saying that though, it's not massively labour intensive, about 45 mins, so that won't knock a huge chunk off the bill.

·
Henkepenk
1,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)

·
Henkepenk
1,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Solution update

My dealer just called Honda (sweden I suppose) and they said that valve clearence should ONLY be checked first after 40 000 km. Nothing to do with time at all.

How come Honda UK states 2 years or 40 000km, whichever comes first?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts